1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Hot Topic Question #3: Who Will Lead The Team In Scoring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, Oct 4, 2003.

?

Who will be the Rockets leading scorer this season?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2003.
  1. Steve Francis

205 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Cuttino Mobley

11 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Yao Ming

169 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. Current Rocket not named ( please identify)

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Player yet to be acquired.

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Results from the previous RHTQ: In response to the question '"Who Will Be Our Primary Starting Small Forward?", responses were 95 of 308(30.84%) said Adrian Griffin, 83 said Glen Rice( 26.95%), 50 said Boki(16.23%), and 40 each for Eddie Griffin and Player yet to be acquired (12.99%).

This time around the question is pretty straight forward: Who will be the Rockets leading scorer for the season? Again, three reminders: The question asks who you think WILL, not who you think should...I also ask for people to explain their choice, if possible, and please, folks, make suggestions for future RHTQs...

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Francis will lead but Yao will close the gap this season.

3. BobFinn*

Is this poll rigged?;) I voted for Francis but there is still a 0:confused:

4. BobFinn*

Like Emily Latella said, "nevermind"

5. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Yes.

Ok, no...I see 2 Wink votes.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Who voted for other? :confused:

I voted Francis. He's still the leader, and he's still offensively minded.

I expect Yao's numbers to go up, though, and I'm optomistic about Eddie as well.

:)

7. SLA

SLA Member

Well Rice is gone and our primary small forward will probably be Jim Jackson!

Steve Francis will lead the team in scoring. He isn't our primary option....Yao is our guy...but still...Steve is one of the best scorers in the entire NBA. He will somehow get his shots. He was playing pretty well and efficiently with high field goal percentage and more than average assists and a few turnovers only last season. He will get his points! We need him to score! Yao is not ready to be dominant and score like every single time. I wish he could though...

Yao will lead in blocked shots and rebounding though..

I don't care too much about stats! I just want us to play hard and win!

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

steve most of the time, unless yao is up against the mavs where he had better score at least 25. but steve all the way, hes the leader of the team and has the most respect. i agree that yao will close the gap and be #2 by not much

9. aldenix

aldenix Member

I don't care who will lead the team in scoring but the PRIMARY option is YAO.

WHY ????????? MISMATCH PEOPLE MISMATCH!!!!!

You don't get this chance a lot with Francis.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm going to assume that what I think will happen... Yao hitting a "wall" after the break and not catching a second wind because of playing and practicing in China over the summer, doesn't occur. That being the case, I predict that Yao will be our leading scorer.

Why? I think Van Gundy is going to have the offense revolve around Yao. I'm taking the view that he will find a way to put Yao in positions that give him a high % shot. And, as we've seen, Yao can shoot at a very high percentage.

I think Van Gundy will use our guards and Taylor, and especially swingmen Piatkowski and Jackson, to give Yao the space he needs to operate in by keeping the other team from constantly double and triple teaming Yao... drawing out the other team with midrange shots and 3's. Jackson is intriguing. He may end up scoring more than I think... I don't know enough about him.

I think Yao will score in the 20's, with Steve close behind, followed by Cat, Taylor, Jackson and Piatkowski. How much EP scores will depend on his minutes. Same with JJ.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Its going to be close, could go either way! If JVG takes leadership away from the Franchise and dictates that the game is to be played his way and only his way, expect statisical changes from last year. Francis [If he plays the starting Point Guard position ] to score about 18 pts./game with 9 assists/gm.and 3 stls./gm.If he does this we
    win, if he scores big numbers expect more of the same. I doubt this will happen as we have many good shooters who will demand their touches.

12. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Myself, based on JVG's comments, and the way Yao played at the Asian Games, I'm going with the big fella. Obviously endurance and foul trouble will be his biggest obstacles, but I feel that there are just so few legit big men that if you play matchups every night, he's gonna have the advantage a lot more than Stevie, plus as Wooden always said, it's easier to score from 2 feet than from 20.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i think the offense will go more through yao but that steve is still way too talented a scorer to be held back too much. as yao improves he'll get more easy baskets and i'll pick him to lead the scoring next year.

14. CRC

CRC Member

I think Francis will still lead the team in scoring but Yao will be getting close.

I predict:

Steve: 21 pt
    Yao: 19 pt

Francis's assists # should go up up a little; Mobley's scoring will drop; Yao's scoring,rebounding & assists will go up.

15. aldenix

aldenix Member

Can you also predict who's gonna win the gubernatorial race in California? :eek:

16. blu_monkey

blu_monkey Contributing Member

probably steve, but it won't be sig. higher than the rest of the team.

my guess:
    steve: 19
    yao: 17

i'm really hoping for evenly distributed scoring with 4-5 players averaging 15-19 ppg. dimes should increase with a stronger yao, though

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

CAT AND YAO WILL RACK IT, WINK WILL BE THE THIRD SCORER AND BALL WILL BE SPREAD EVENLY.

18. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Francis will lead in scoring.

Yao, probably 16ppg or 17ppg by the time the season settles down.

But, this is not the important part.

Francis's turnovers better drop.

Or, we're in trouble regardless who's the "leading scorer."

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think Yao will score a bit more then 16 or 17 ppg. Im think about 20.:D

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I believe that Yao will get around 7-8 more touches this year than last. If he shoots half of those shots at 50%, that is around 4 points.

He will get around 5 more free throws per game and makes 80% for another 4 points.

Added to his total last year makes 21.

Steve will see his points go down slightly to 19-20, but I think his dimes will go up as he learns to get people the ball in the right spot.

The biggest improvement will be EG competing with Cat for the 3rd scorer position. EG will see significant improvement from playing closer to the basket and from Francis looking to pass more because of the system.