1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets History: Rockets relocation to Louisville

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Sep 20, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/37259.html

In 1999 the Rockets were getting tired of the Compaq Center, better known as the Summit, and the City of Houston didn't want to grant the Rockets a new arena. They began talks with other cities about a possible relocation, and one with Louisville, KY came into fruition, but thankfully they were granted a new arena, which we all know and love as the Toyota Center, and the franchise didn't go the way of the Oilers. I seriously doubt the staff REALLY wanted to relocate, and was just flirting with other cities to scare Houston out of a new arena, and thankfully, it worked. I never knew this, so that's why I'm posting it. So thank your lucky stars we're not rooting for the Louisville Rockets!

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and the rest of the story was that Clutch and Jeff saved the Rockets from leaving Houston.

[​IMG]

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/130/enron_looking_to_keep_rockets_in_houston/

Enron looking to keep Rockets in Houston

FRIDAY, JANUARY 21, 2000 3:53 PM CST
    By Clutch
    Copyright 2000 ClutchFans.net
    According to a Houston Chronicle article, pessimism is growing about the Rockets chances of staying in Houston as the team has spoken with several cities about relocating when the Compaq Center lease is up in 2003. However, there is hope. Enron Chairman Ken Lay, who played a key role in keeping the Astros in town and getting a new stadium built, has said he plans on playing a "prominent role" in keeping the Rockets in town.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/157/thanks_to_the_fans_/

Thanks to the fans ...
    MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2000 1:15 AM CST
    By Clutch
    After posting a request in the late afternoon Sunday for fan stories about a special moment concerning the Rockets, we were flooded with email and received tons of great stories (we couldn't possibly post them all). We want to thank those who sent in and told their personal stories. You can find many of them in the Great Moments in Fan History section of saveourrockets.com. If you have a personal story releated to a particular Rocket highlight/moment (any year since the Rockets were in Houston), and would like to be included by telling what the Rockets mean to you, please feel free to send it in to us at clutch@clutchcity.net with your name and we'll do our best to get it out there.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/160/chronicle_saveourrockets_dot_com_a_necessary_development/

Chronicle: SaveOurRockets.com a "necessary development"
    TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2000 3:21 AM CST
    By Clutch
    Well it's past 3am and I still haven't responded to even half the emails nor completed all that's needed to be done ... so you can imagine what Jeff has on his plate! First off, thanks to all those who support the site and wrote in how to help. Monday was nonstop publicity for the Save Our Rockets! movement... from KPRC Channel 2, FOX 26 KRIV, 610 KILT and others. Be sure to read the SOR News page and Special Thanks section. But apparently the buzz wasn't restricted to the fans and media. In a Houston Chronicle article entitled SaveOurRockets.com site a necessary development, Jonathan Feigen reports that SOR "caused an immediate buzz in the Rockets' offices and even briefly in the locker room". Said Rockets CEO George Postolos "It's a catchy name. These guys did a nice job. I hope it's effective. We appreciate the support these guys are getting together. Putting together the site in support of the organization, we really appreciate that. These kinds of things are effective if they generate a major grass roots movement. Look at other cities. Those kinds of things have made a difference." Fantastic news. As SOR has now taken on a life of its own, we will return our focus at clutchcity.net back to Rockets hoops tonight when they take on the Cavs and inform you from time to time of new developments at SOR.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/164/save_our_rockets_louisville_courting_rockets_comets/

SOR Time: Louisville courting Rockets, Comets
    TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2000 11:35 PM CST
    By Clutch
    KRIV, citing unidentified sources, is reporting that Louisville is courting the Rockets, Comets and Thunderbears. Louisville officials have called Rockets management to let the team know of their interest in bringing all three franchises to their city. The Rockets did not say much, but CEO George Postolos did say they are fielding offers and "We have received a number of inquiries and we will respond to those. We don't intend to comment beyond that." SaveOurRockets.com had another incredible day as we have been contacting hundreds who wrote in, and some big, big things are in the future. Jeff Balke will be on Lance and John's "The Bench" show at 7:25am Wednesday on 610 to talk more about the movement.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/296/save_our_rockets_goes_to_white_house_with_comets/

Save Our Rockets goes to White House with Comets

TUESDAY, MAY 16, 2000 10:07 PM CST
    By Clutch
    Janice Kinchion, campaign manager for Save Our Rockets!, went to the White House Monday with the Comets, got some great pictures, and even handed a Save Our Rockets! button to Les Alexander who wore it on his suit jacket. She met that Clinton guy too, but hey ... she met Les! Great story and pics which can be found at SaveOurRockets.com

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/380/save_our_rockets_holds_press_conference/

Save Our Rockets holds press conference

FRIDAY, AUGUST 11, 2000 2:00 PM CST
    By Clutch
    In response to Judge Eckels' attempt to squash the arena deal in Houston, and in essence, drive the Rockets out of town, Save Our Rockets! held a press conference Friday at 4pm on the steps of the Harris County Commissioners Court in downtown Houston and the details from the press conference are up on SOR. Don't forget to give Judge Eckels a piece of your mind about his calculated opposition to the arena deal.

3. sidestep

sidestep Member

I'm still waiting to see what that new humongous screen being installed at the Toyota Center looks like.

4. ThaShark316_28

LOLOLOL I remember the "KFC Bucket" name...

5. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

nice,to new fans like me

know about Rockets history and Clutch fans history

Tanks!

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Don't forget to thank, "Save our Rockets" and Jeff!! :) And Clutch!

Back in the day "Save our Rockets" was either linked to Clutchcity (now clutchfans) or was a seperate part of the forum and was a big part of keeping the Rockets in Houston.

I remember you could log onto clutchcity and just like you can select the "Hangout" now you could select "Save our Rockets" then. I seem to remember seeing Jeff on TV various times as well.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yep, I remember that the "Save our rockets" was a huge effort to keep the rockets in Houston.

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

C'mon, man!!!

Misleading title as phuq. Can't you note like it's in the past or sumthin? :mad:

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

It's crazy to me that folks here don't just organically know the huge role this site and forum played in keeping the Rockets in H-Town (Jeff was the f--king MAN). Mostly because I vividly remember the arena situation dominating so much of the convo here that it seems like it was just yesterday. Now I really feel old.

10. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Why is this a one-star thread?

11. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

corporate welfare ftw

1 person likes this.
  12. TISNF

TISNF Member

It should be a zero-star thread if it was possible. htownbandit is clearly trying to up her post count by posting non-news disguised as news with a crappy misleading title.

Same story with that Astroworld thread. Keep it up.

13. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

i would hate that, but living in cincinnati now, i wouldve become a season ticket holder... glad we didnt move though. louisville rockets doesnt make sense. this team is meant to b in htown

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The All-Time NBA team in the OP's sig cracked me up a little when I figured out the (apparent) misunderstanding. I realize most of you think the all-nba draft threads are silly (and they are), but still.

15. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

How is this a rumor? Thread title is misleading...

16. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Its funny how the Kings are good as gone in Sacramento but all I care about is the Rockets

17. rednation98

rednation98 Member

the title scared me for a moment

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't worry, there's a light on Clutch's balcony that signals for Jeff when the time comes. Should it come.

19. ch44

ch44 Member

As a Rockets fan living in Kentucky, I would love this. Sorry Houstonians.

It would also make it easier on all the UK players we end up drafting.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you're not old, you just remember the true power of Clutchfans and that it's Houston Rockets not Rockets.