1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Rockets hire Josh Oppenheimer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

From Steve Kyler.

He's the shot Doctor. Hell yes.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like talented coaches. And after the bricklaying we did last year, I hope this will help.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Isn't that the documentarian that directed "The Act of Killing" and "The Look of Silence"?

4. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck...ions-for-the-bucks-b99219807z1-248944851.html

By Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel

New Orleans — It's easy to locate Josh Oppenheimer, the Milwaukee Bucks player development coach.

Just head to the basketball court and you will find him working tirelessly with the Bucks' young players, including rookies Giannis Antetokounmpo and Nate Wolters.

Practice will be long over but Bucks point guard Brandon Knight will still be on the court working with the "shot doctor."

"When coach (Larry) Drew hired me, I said, 'I don't need an office,'" Oppenheimer said. "'You give me a cell phone so you can find me. I'll stay in the gym.'"

For the record, Oppenheimer does have an office in the Bucks' Cousins Center practice facility.

But his is no 9-to-5 job, and it's just the way he likes it.

"I love it," Oppenheimer said. "Of course like everybody, I wish we were winning. You can't have everything right away.

"I don't come to work any different if we win or if we lose. My job is to help guys get better. If I go about my business every day, that will help us win."

Oppenheimer, 45, played college basketball at Rhode Island and Northern Arizona and played professionally in Israel for six seasons.

Make no mistake, he can still shoot it.

"I've never really beat him in a shootout," Wolters said after practice Thursday. "We've got to improve our jump shots a lot this summer to have a chance to beat him."

Wolters said during the summer he and Oppenheimer would compete in a 50-shot challenge, each shooting 50 three-pointers.

And how many would the shot doctor make?

"Forty-five, 46 usually," Wolters said.

The Bucks guard said he'd make 35 or 36, "on a good day."

"So there's no chance."

Antetokounmpo said his experience is a similar one.

"From the beginning of the year I've beaten him once," Antetokounmpo said of their shooting contests. "He makes 9 of 10. O.J. (Mayo) beat him for the first time yesterday."

But it's not just about shooting. Oppenheimer also is talking to his young charges, pointing out flaws and ways to improve and boosting their confidence.

"A lot of times when you're working a guy out, it's the best time to talk to him," Oppenheimer said, "maybe about what he's struggling with because his guard is down a little bit.

"You call a guy into an office, his first thing is, 'What's the matter?'

"They'll tell you a little bit more (on the court). There are benefits to working with them (the rookies) together and apart, but they're great.

"They're coachable, they listen. They both want to be good and they're both willing to put the work in."

The Bucks' 2013 draft haul looks promising, with Antetokounmpo picked 15th but ranking now as one of the top prospects in the class. And Wolters, acquired in a trade after being selected 38th overall, appears to be a steal.

"It's really good," Oppenheimer said. "Of course Giannis gets the boatload of the publicity and he's earned it. He hasn't been given anything.

"But Nate sort of floats below the radar. I remember the first game in New York when Nate had to step in and play. The game ends and I watch Carmelo Anthony make a beeline from their bench to find Nate.

"I don't know exactly what was said but it looked like what he was telling him was, 'Nice job, you've got a chance to be a really good player in this league. Keep working at it.'"

Staying extra hours has not been a problem for the rookies or the 22-year-old Knight.

"All three of those guys are tremendous workers," Oppenheimer said. "When I try to get them extra shots, there's never a sucking of the teeth, a 'come on, coach.'

"They just go about it. That's the main reason they'll be really good."

Oppenheimer sees plenty of potential in Knight, the former Detroit guard acquired in the Brandon Jennings trade last summer.

"The first thing you start with, he's got elite-level athleticism," Oppenheimer said. "Strength, explosion, speed, quickness. That's top-shelf stuff.

"He makes young mistakes. He's had some games where he has single-handedly kept us in the game. Now it's a matter of him learning how to run a team, knowing when to push, when to pull, to regulate his speed."

Oppenheimer said all the Bucks coaches play a part in developing the players and work as a unit. On Thursday assistant Nick Van Exel was working with Antetokounmpo after practice while Knight and Wolters took individual turns with Oppenheimer.

Drew said he tried to hire Oppenheimer in Atlanta but it didn't work out.

"He's the last guy to leave the court and we're really excited to have him on board," Drew said.

"He spends a lot of time on a personal basis with the players. He's really good at what he does and he's passionate about it."

1 person likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

KJ McDaniels, report to the shot doctor at once!

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Sounds good!!

7. malakas

malakas Member

He's ok. The only one who was retained after Larry Drew got canned. But didn't last long either. Didnt' see any improvement on any player tbh..but he has a good reputation.

Maybe he will help DMO from being a scrub.

8. Mr. Motiejunas

Shut up yo b**** a s s up.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shoot better, clap, clap, clap.gif

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Nice addition. This could be huge if he can even get our guys shooting 2% higher than last year.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Don't pay attention to this piece of garbage, malakas.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The shot doctor will examine Corey Brewer and determine that he is incurable.

13. Mr. Motiejunas

:grin::grin::grin:

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The atomic bomb guy?

15. bmd

bmd Member

Mr. Oppenheimer is going to have the whole team bombing from long range.

His mentoring of the young players shall be dubbed the "Manhattan Project".

1 person likes this.
  16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Clint Capela mid range jumper coming up. :)

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Crazy to think of how he turned the Bucks players into great shooters. Well, not all of them. But some. Well, at least one, arguably. Maybe.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Followed by Capela LOL.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

terminal bricklayeritis :eek:

20. Fantasma Negro

Trade for Brandon Knight in 3..2..Lol