1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets held semi serious talks at the deadline last year for a Capela and DeAndre Jordan swap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Offensively it's a wash? Is this a joke? Did you see what we did to Charlotte? What teams did to us when we had Dwight? Be honest with yourself, Jordan is a negative on offense. Capela is a positive. There is a major difference and Capela is 23 and always improving, Jordan is 29 and never improving. Plus Jordan will demand $10m more per season than Capela.

If we're trading Capela, we'll wait for a better player to break loose. Capela has incredible value, shouldn't waste it on freaking Jordan.

roslolian likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably Cousins or Never.

Mathloom likes this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The only reason not to do this trade is the free throws. Straight up, Jordan is better than Clint in every other way.

Little Bit likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

And the money.

And the free throws are not just free throws - he is so bad that it becomes a total offensive burden on the entire team. It deflates everything because he doesn't meet a minimal points per shot threshold. He is likely ranked outside the top 450 free throw shooters in the NBA and there are only about 460 players.

Jordan is better at rebounding and defense. But we can't carry him against the best team in history. We can't have that radical a weakness.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

How about IQ, potential and cost? Also it's not a straight up swap either, it would cost picks and players because we can't absorb Jordan's salary without giving anything back.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. basketballholic

Talks were revisited in June.

BigggReddd and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They're 6th in offense so far this year, and that's with their awful showing last night. Clint only plays like 20 min a night anyway. I think he's good and fills his role nicely, but DJ is obviously better. Clint is too soft with the ball.

Idk about IQ, seems like DJ plays nearly an identical role as Clint and does it better. Cost for this year is fine but Clint is about to get paid this summer. And I realize that, obviously need to see specifics before commenting definitively.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

We are a better offensive team than them, and Clint is a better offensive player than Jordan. Unquestionable. The fact that we are without Chris Paul and they have started well doesn't change that tbh. DJ is barely better, which is not worth 10m more per season. I feel like you're stretching the statements to fill your narrative with statements like "he plays 20 minutes" and "DJ is obviously better". Make an honest assessment, DJ is barely better. That's why they've been trying to dump him, they don't want to pay him at the prime of his career. He is not as good as anyone thought.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If this trade went down we wouldn't have had the chance of trading for CP3 so he could sit on the bench for the first four weeks of the season.

SO glad this didn't go down.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

When healthy of course we're a better offensive team lol, stop putting words in my mouth. Until this year, Jordan has been clearly the better offensive player. Clint has been better this year so far, but small sample size. The statements I made are true. DJ has played over 30mpg for the last five years, Clint hasn't come close to that. And yes he has been obviously better until this year, we'll see if Clint overtakes him.

DJ isn't a max player but he's worth what he's being paid now. They're considering dumping him because they missed their window lol.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Downside is

$$ (potentially)
    FT shooting (Clint looks ready to have a 70% season, Jordan has shown he will likely never improve)
    Age (DJ is 6 years older)

I think this could be a potential double S&T in the offseason.

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Word

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes and Clint will keep getting better and Jordan will be the same or worse. Stats aside, Capela is simply a more skilled offensive player - and Clint is not a skilled offensive player. Clint has played 19, 23 and 24 minutes past three seasons. He is poised to increase that. Like with blocks, like with steals, like with minutes, Clint is going up and DJ is going down.

We are not going to give up Clint for a player we won't re-sign, and if we re-sign DJ it will cost 10m more than Clint. You know that. This is not the first time they try to trade him and it won't be the last and they have never been offered anything good. Word is out: you can't pay 25m+ to a player who can't be on the floor at crucial times when you need stops.

If you consider a 5 year window of what to expect from these two, they should compensate us for the swap, not vice versa. If they want to take on Anderson and Capela for DJ, then you might consider it. Clint is a f'ing awesome young prospect under team control for at least 5 more years.

We can do better if we're dealing Clint. If Cousins shakes loose, we can offer them Capela and picks. They could easily take that. If we can't get a deal that good, won't really affect us. We haven't lost games because we lack a dinosaur defensive anchor in the age of switching defenses. DJ is the next Dwight expecting to get paid more.

glynch likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If Clint keeps getting better than sure I'd rather have him in the long run. I don't disagree with most of what you're saying and I'd have to see the exact proposed deal to comment on whether we should have done it or not. I still think DJ is better, for not, we'll see how long that lasts.

15. basketballholic

Capela will never be a good as DeAndre.

#55 basketballholic, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    BigggReddd likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Wrong. Hard to take you seriously on this subject - you have been irrationally critical of Capela while he has steadily improved every year. Meanwhile, players such as Maker and Noel who you have touted over Capela have been garbage. Your downfall: you don't seem to take work ethic and attitude into account.

By the time he's 25, Clint will be an excellent starter and Jordan will struggle to get 20 minutes on a decent team. Also, while it's convenient for you to ignore the money and age, your narrative becomes an irrelevant one when you do that.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Capela is just another player. Good chance he's gone in February.

I always take character and work ethic into account. If you read my commentary on Noel you will see I have expressed doubts about him multiple times because of these issues. Even though he is a better talent and a better basketball player than Capela I'd hesitate to sign him for big money long term.

If Capela is a starter at age 25 it will be on a lottery team or at best a 7-8 seed team. We don't want you pay him. And it's because he's not going to be the "excellent starter" you think he is going to be.

BigggReddd likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Opinions with a poor history and nothing to back them up. Looks like you're not interested in debate as much as you are in just yelling the same thing over and over. If you took work ethic and attitude into consideration, you would acknowledge that Capela has already turned himself from absolute garbage into a servicable starter. That's a trend of 4 years of improving, which is rare as hell in the NBA. It is an incredible indicator.

If we don't pay Capela, it's because we need something better than an excellent starter at C before locking our cap flexibility. And I agree with that approach. Has nothing to do with the most predictable thing in the world: Clint will improve the next 2 summers, just like he has the last 4, and even at this snail's pace, he will be an excellent NBA starter in 2 years.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  19. basketballholic

He'll be just another player.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No he won't.