1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have interest in Gallinari

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivi, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don't have strong feelings either way.

Gallo is a better overall scorer (17 points on 11 shots is nice). Anderson is a significantly better shooter and a better rebounder. Both are injury prone, neither can defend or pass well.

However, I have an underlying motive of getting rid of Anderson's contract because I am worried about the final 3 years of it. Gallo makes less and is likely to opt out this summer and I doubt we are worse as a team with Gallo. We'll hit fewer 3's, but we will make it up on his 6 trips to the line.

I guess there's an argument to be made that Anderson has been a big part of what we've achieved so far so why tinker with it for a guy we won't want to re-sign long term this summer.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Why pay so much money for two guys that can't play together? If you have to stagger their minutes like that you might as well get rid of one. Ideally, we could pick up someone like Hayward so that Ryno is one of the few defensive liabilities on the team, but he's likely not coming. It's hard to get a clear cut upgrade like that, so upgrade where you can.

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This is what we would be doing by giving Brewers minutes to Dekker/Gallo...

Hayward would also require a full max and we won't have bird rights...

4. thekad

thekad Member

Gallinari was never an all-star, let alone a superstar. And he's worse now after his knee blew up. He could fetch a first and a young player, not much else.

ABS and CallMeTheDream like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am aboard the plan of either trading for Gallo or signing him in free agency and making him a long term core piece, ALONGSIDE Anderson, Gordon, Harden, Bev, Ariza. The more weapons, the more depth, the better off you are.

kwakmeister and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

Not gonna happen. Our team would become a defensive sieve and that's IF he's playing

7. basketballholic

That's why we need a big time defensive presence in the middle that we don't currently have.

Plowman likes this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't assume that Gallo would be allowed to play an offensive game that would keep those FT attempts up. Ryan Anderson actually has a pretty good post game that we don't utilize at all. If we swapped Gallo for Anderson we'd want Gallo to essentially be a spot up shooter.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Ryan's post game is decent, but MDA is fundamentally against playing in the post. Gordon is as free to create as he's ever been. We've put Anderson in a role that will maximize his efficiency. There's no way his post game is better than Harden or Gordon's dribble drive game.

Gallo doesn't play in the post. He attacks from the perimeter. His efficiency this year is also higher than Anderson's ever been. It would be incredibly hard to close out on him, Harden, and Gordon at the same time.

hakeem94 and Pen15clubber like this.
  10. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

I would love gallinari. He's a shooter and hustles, I think he would fit well.

I also would like: Tyson chandler, Lou Williams, Rodney hood, erasan illyasova, or Aaron afflalo.

People that can play along side harden and wouldn't demand the ball much. I think that's what the rockets need. Players that can play along side harden, not just a superstar. Harden needs his "pippen", pippen was great and a superstar but he knew his place next to Jordan. We need one of those that's willing to defer but still be a superstar.

Not saying any of these guys are the answer. This is just a list of players I would like, again not saying we have any chance to get any of these guys.

11. ABS

ABS Member

His teammate, Wilson Chandler is better.

12. supa

supa Contributing Member

111 posts in a week. You are on a DD type pace.

raining threes and BigMaloe like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You are correct*

*Except for:
    Offensive rating
    3 pt shooting
    VORP
    Win Share / 48
    Offensive +/-
    Defensive +/-
    Net +/-
    TS%
    Free Throw Draw Rate
    Free throw shooting %
    Turnover %
    Ast %
    Stl %
    Foul Rate

hakeem94, kwakmeister and BigMaloe like this.
  14. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Y not just have O power on and off the bench?

15. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Not even close. 111 is a slow afternoon for DD

16. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

He's better than Brewer for sure, but all these teams probably want Dekker as the main trade piece. If we get Gallo, I guess the Rockets can be named the "All-Injury Prone team" with Nene, Bev, Gordon, Ryno, and Gallo.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Even _holic laughs at this rate

raining threes likes this.
  18. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yeah, and they just clown stomped the Warriors the other night.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

People are lukewarm for Gallo, but I like a KJ/Brewer, late 1st/our own 2nd for him. KJ and the late 1st are cost for Gallo, the late 2nd is to take on Brewer. The other option is one of the other 2nd rounders we own, which would come a bit earlier in the draft, in the place of the late 1st.

He's shooting 38% from 3 (just outside the top 50) and has a 60% TS%. That's a decent haul for a late 1st when you factor in his injury history.

Edited: He's signed through 16-17. 17-18 is a PO.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

as mentioned, the injury probability of a gallo/ryno/gordo pairing is extremely worrisome.

signing all 3 to long term deals means going all in this year, and probably giving up a season or two when they all sit out late in that contract. i'm not sold that we need such a risk since we're the 3rd best team in the league.

on the other hand, if we dont give up any real assets to get him, why not. when looking at the free agent pool this summer, i'm not sold on us signing blake or even hayward who i think will either stay in utah or join his college coach in boston. i thought ibaka was the most realistic / best FA signing we could hope for but he will resign in toronto. now it looks like gallo (given the relationship to MDA) is the best/most realistic signing of the off season, unless he's traded to another team this week.

i'd give them a low ball offer of brewer/KJ/2nd/rights to gentile or llull, and if they balk, so be it. its not worth giving up anything else. he wont get us over the top this year, and we might sign him without giving up any assets this summer.

snowconeman22 and MrButtocks like this.