1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Have Excellent (The Best?) Post Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeeingRocketRed, Apr 13, 2009.

1. SeeingRocketRed

Is there other team's post players would you rather have right now then the Rockets?

I'm thinking we probably have the best array of post players in the west. Here's how I see it:

1. Yao, Scola, Landry, Mutumbo, Hayes
    2. Shaq, Stoudemire, Lopez, Swift
    3. Bynum, Gasol, Mbenga, Powell, Odom
    4. Duncan, Gooden, Bonner, Thomas, Oberto
    5. Carmelo, Nene, K. Martin, Anderson
    6. Chandler, West, Ely, Marks, Armstrong
    7. Boozer, Okur, Millsap, Collins, Koufos
    8. Oden, Pryzbilla, Frye, LaFraenz
    9. Dampier, Nowitzki (not really post), Bass, Hollins

The other west frontlines are definitely strong, but in only a couple of years Morey has definitively answered our multi-year weak point, power forward. The combo of Scola and Landry has certainly surpassed my expectations. I remember on draft night I was upset with the Rocket's pick of yet another undersized 4, but Landry has been more than advertised. His rebounding, strength, shot blocking, midrange jumper, and finishing moves around the rim have been fantastic. Scola has obviously been a key to this team's success the last couple of years, and his hustle and drive fit perfectly.

When you think of the Rockets, you think of hustle. You think of sacrificing yourself for the team, you think of defense, and you think of domination in the paint. These guys have helped all that. I had hoped to see Dorsey some this year, but I know his footwork and fundamentals needed some work. Maybe next year...

On a side note, in creating and looking at this list, I started thinking about Phoenix. Why the heck are they still racing up and down the court? With Nash running a half-court offense anchored by Shaq and Stoudemire, that could have been a really good team.

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

I'd say the Lakers/Jazz are right up there with us.

3. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

Agreed.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I would rate the Lakers and Jazz frontline ahead of ours. The Suns also, when Amare is healthy.

5. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

The Duncan/Gooden combo has the potential to be lethal as well...

6. Ashes

Ashes Member

I'd say Lakers definitely.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i would say we have the best, especially offensively w/ yao+scola+landry.

8. Ashes

Ashes Member

Offensively superb to Gasol/Bynum/Odom?

9. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Please tell me why you have the Blazers at #8 and why isn't LaMarcus Aldridge on the list but you have Pryzbilla and LaFrents who aren't post players?? 2nd. Half of the players you listed aren't post players. Nice try tho but I honestly think Portland shouldn't be number 8 when they have better post players than the Spurs who only have Tim Duncan as their post player. You need a new list

10. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Gasol is more a face up post player,Bynum's post moves are not yet refined enough on the level of scola and Yao.

We are seeing this season that scola is a beast in the low post when given the touches with left hand righ hand it ddoesn't matter and we all know that nobody can defend Yao in the post without 3 guy's hanging on him.

11. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Lakers may have the best size and skilled big men in the NBA. Gasol, Odom, and Bynum are very long and can challenge all the shots around the basket. Rockets have very good post players also but size of the Lakers would give Scola and Landry problems, unless they are hitting their outside shots. Yao is better than all three Lakers big men but once Phil Jackson decides to front him, its game over. I hope that if we can meet the Lakers again in the playoffs, Bynum will play Yao straight up without fronting or any other type of gimmick defense. Yao would destroy the Lakers if they chose to play him against Bynum on-on-one. :) :) :)

12. GloryDays 94-95

With the exception of the Lakers bigs, I feel we do have the most versatile front in the league. As a rocket fan that lives in Dallas (unfortunately: job situation) I get to see the tv feeds from the other team during rockets games a lot of the time. Many times, the other teams announcers rave about the bigs we have. I think the problem with our bigs is that our defeciencies are glaring(pick n roll defense, finishing: not landry, and occasional lacks of toughness). But they do compliment each other in their own way. Thats where coaching comes in to play. Showing this thread just confirms one thing: We have more than enough to win with!

13. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Actually, this is a discussion on POST players. Not players that face you up and shoot the 11-foot jumper.

The Suns have great post players. The Jazz, not so much. Okur shoots threes, Boozer likes to shoot the midranger jumper, and Kirilenko likes to flop -- I mean, shoot. Also.

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i love scola and landry, but you'd have to be a moron to not trade one of them for andrew bynum

15. Tmcrcks1

Tmcrcks1 Member

why do u have carmelo there?

16. teknokid

teknokid Member

cause Melo posts up.
    Dont forget that Kobe posts up many times in a game...

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Like 2?

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If it wasn't this year for the Rockets, you could almost add Artest, but for some reason he doesn't like to post up as much anymore. If it were any other year, we would be way over the top...I hope does post up in the playoffs, though and layoff some of the jump shots.

19. jlwee

jlwee Member

Let put it this way, Rockets' Power Forward tandem of Scola, Landry and Hayes are the cheapest in the league and yet very efficient!

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Is this about post players or just big men? Because if you're really talking about playing in the post, then Artest is more of a post player than half the players listed.

Post players isn't relegated to just forwards/centers.