1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Harden take a pass on Raptors sort of “load management’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

Houston Rockets' James Harden plays against the Boston
    With Chris Paul, left, having rejoined James Harden recently, the Rockets haven’t moved up from fifth in the West. But thier five-game winning streak leave them only a game out of third.
    TORONTO - Raptors star Kawhi Leonard played against the Rockets on Tuesday after sitting out Sunday's overtime loss to the Pistons for load management, one of 12 games he has missed this season without an injury. That has been the Raptors' plan after Leonard played just nine games with the Spurs last season, a strategy very different from the Rockets' efforts to rest James Harden between games.
    Harden has averaged 37.5 minutes per game, the most in the NBA. He missed three games with a strained hamstring and one with a strained neck. But Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said that as difficult as it is to get Harden to sit out, he finds rest time in other ways.

"So you're telling me that if I'd have practice and shootaround and I play him two less minutes (in a game), then it's better?" D'Antoni said before Monday's practice in Scotiabank Arena. "What if we don't have practice and James plays two more minutes? So you're trying to trade it off. And if he needs an extra day or he needs a day off, we'll give him a day off. But he will not ask for it."

2. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

The Rockets have held just five game-day shootarounds this season while cutting back on practice day workloads.

Leonard last week told the Toronto media that the 82 regular-season games "are just practices. And playoffs is when it's time to lace 'em up."

Harden, however, rejected the idea of sitting out games as Leonard has.

"I just love to hoop," Harden said. "I love to play basketball. Like, this time won't last forever, you know what I'm saying? I embrace it. I enjoy the grind. I enjoy tired legs and having to find ways, and when your shot's not (falling). That's what makes me a basketball player."

D'Antoni said that he has come to accept that about Harden and that even keeping him out of practices can be a struggle.

"He is born to play," D'Antoni said. "He loves to play. he loves to practice. I can't take him out of practice. (If) he has a turned ankle, the trainer will say on Tuesday 'on Thursday he's out.' Then he'll practice on Wednesday. You can't keep him off the floor. That's special in itself, knowing 75, 78 games a year, he's going to play for you and play 40 minutes at a high level.

"We try to keep him around 35 (minutes). He's 29 years-old. There's so many guys playing more minutes. I want to be careful a little bit, but he's fine. He'll be fine. We have data and trainers and James. Whatever he needs, we'll do."

Raptors coach Nick Nurse said he believes the Raptors have completed the "load management portion of their season. He also has cut back on practices and shootarounds.

"I don't see a lot of load management for us down the stretch," Nurse said. "We've had so many injuries we've load managed ourselves right into perfect load

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Nice.

Deuce, rgw20014life, cbs1507 and 3 others like this.
  4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I’ve managed three perfect loads today, I didn’t even have to wipe

5. lastreg

lastreg Member

that's a foul on harden

Stormy1234 likes this.
  6. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Load management... Nurse... Perfect load... My mind is too dirty.

Von Rafer likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

MDA is so petty about rest

I get that reporters asking questions about it can get tiring , but almost every other team in the league does rest guys

Anytime he references it now it's like he's incredulous at the suggestion

Hey dude ... you're the same guy that wore out James before and played 6 guys vs the spurs .... and that was 2 years ago ; so it's not like some distant past .

People would all make fun of thibodeau if he said the same thing MDA did with a straight face .

Stormy1234 likes this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

As I noted in a couple of threads, 37.5 minutes per game is below average for MVP's. Hakeem played 41.0, Shaq played 40.0, Bird played more minutes than Harden for 3 MVP's.

Patience likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Faried's concurs with your thoughts on "Load Management"

#10 heypartner, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Stormy1234 and aroundtheblock2 like this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Paul Pierce has a lot of accounts on CF.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Its hard to do load management in the West (unless you have 5 all-nba players like the Warriors), Eastern teams will never understand that.

Raptors basically have that 2nd seed on lock, they can afford to start resting all their key players.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. but coming from someone who was saying the rockets should tank in december, its not surprising you think some things are locks with so much left in the season and how quickly things can change