1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Jeff Bzdelik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 18, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Damn :D

2. Fantasma Negro

Ettorie Messina needs to be in the title of the next press release from this team. I don't care if its as assistant or head but that's the guy the rockets need. They can bring him in as an assistant and then transition him to head coach in a year or two or just fire MDA and make Messina the guy now either way Ettorie Messina needs to be in the title of the next press release from this team. Who knows, with his clout in European basketball he might even be the guy to convince Llull to come on over

3. gogispade

gogispade Member

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The rockets are going get worse. Now dumbass Morey is after Kevin Love.

lw17 likes this.
  5. jowman

jowman Member

Trade harden he ain’t winning **** here. This has been a loser franchise since Hakeem left. Had great talented players but for some reason or another this team is cursed when it comes to getting championships.

Plenty of contenders next year with Kd gone. Rockets ain’t gonna be one of them. Look forward to first or second round exits every year.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

His contract was up. Dude retired, and then had to be coerced into coming back. We were on borrowed time with him. Are we really gonna be rolling with Bzdelik on 1 year contracts not knowing when he’ll all of the sudden feel like retiring again? U weren’t gonna get him on some long-term deal. If they just want to start the process of finding a long-term solution then cool.

Deuce, IvanLCPM, UTSA2step and 4 others like this.
  7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I will acknowledge that I like MDA as our coach, and I don't see many who could be a better fit for James.... But, hell, we should have posted Curry up at least 10 times a game with CP3...that's where I think MDA needed to adjust. CP's post game is one of the best for guards...

BUT, to your post:
    Do you want MDA fired ? Really?

I don't blame MDA for us losing in the playoffs,. I blame a combo of refs (game 1), injuries and in game 6, when CP finally showed up strangely, we didn't play defense well enough to absorb Curry and Klay's inevitable 3 point barrage.

I blame Morey's acquisition of Ennis, MCW and the Melo fail (but that was really on Melo, I guess)

I blame Morey for not paying Trevor Ariza because Lord knows, even on a terrible shooting night, Trevor came up big when it counted. MDA didn't have guys like that to step up except for TUCK who is the GLUE now.

I blame TIllman for not allowing Morey to pull the trigger in time for Ellington and/or the Miami Bundle, as well as the Washington offer to us. Or, hell, before Philly pounced Tobias could have been ours, and my most irritating non-move: being slow to get J. Green from Memphis. All deals on the table, but someone didn't want to pay. J Green, in our offense, with our guys like Tuck and CP3 is a different player than what you see on the Clips. He and Tuck could have made KD's life HELL. But instead, we leave depth in WIlson Chandler and young Killer in "SHHHH" (Kelly O.) for 3 late pickups : Manimal, Austin Rivers and House. How many of those guys made an impact in the playoffs? Austin, and unfortunately, if we go for big names, I don't see him coming back. He's going to get paid, as he should (with his annoying ass, pre-CP3/James apologies lol :) ) With respect: Faried's personal reasons are personal, in the sense that life happens to all of us, sometimes in the worst timing.

It's not only on MDA. It's on everyone. Even James didn't play his best in game 6...those final minutes looked like Game 6 of the Spurs debacle. What happened? Did he burn out? No, not really, but he made great passes and his teammates didn't convert.

MDA isn't the big problem. I don't blame him for the Nene switch on Curry in Game 1....that's what our offense and defense did, and Clint was simply trash against Looney and Green.

It's the guys around James, Tuck and CP that don't quite fit AND Tillman not paying for stars that take you to the next level. We could have had Jimmy if we accepted one crappy contract. Ego deserves so much credit for his play, but I could see him wanting to take some more mid-range shots when they were open, versus the long bomb. I only mention that in relation to fitting our offense...we limit EGo's talent sometimes by not letting him go for more layups.

Admittedly, I'm and MDA fan because of how he has allowed James to improve and create new parts to his game. I was an Adelman fan for getting the best out of a team without stars. I hated McHale because he couldn't coach. But, again, I wouldn't give MDA up too quickly.

Which coach will get the best out of James? Consider personality in this....James is very coachable, but he wouldn't do well with a Stan Van Gundy.

#87 Codman, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  8. Codman

Jimmy and Thibs respect one another. BUT, Jimmy is no longer "tight" with anyone in Minny except Teague, Ant and the Saunders family.

James loves Thibs. Does that mean he'd be a good fit here? Hell no. Thibs is the most miserable coach to watch. He looks like he hates the job on every play. He is in the group of "yellers" that coach with intimidation. It no longer works. It would be a HUGE adjustment for James to go with a coach like MDA who trusts his guys (AND he should...MDA did help us secure a number one seed not too long ago).

The only guy I can see being a natural fit is Fitz, but NY has him locked up. He's the best in the league, in terms of knowledge of players' strengths and weaknesses and relationships.

Second nomination: Jim Carey of the Mavs :). But in all seriousness, Carlisle is the most underrated coach in the league. He is a winner and I've heard from too many players/people to list that his understanding of the game, its nuances and his adjustments are tiers above any other coach.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Respect your posts Cod, but MDA is part of the problem. His use of capela who was clearly outclassed and a buffoon even to the most ameturish of eyes cost us 2 games fersure. I like Mike, but he is way too stubborn.

Asian Sensation and napalm06 like this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Doesn’t matter. Window is closed.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Please Daryl Fire Yourself

12. Codman

Fair, but how would you use Capela instead? He gave us an advantage in height, but the Warriors clogged the lane for James to pass the lob.

Clint cannot shoot the ball...he hasn't developed any sort of mid range game. Hell, Clint can't shoot from beyond 4 feet, and even those baby hooks are scary to watch.

We had my friend, but he's not young enough to get the lobs, AND he isn't really pushed to shoot his jumper. I wish the Rockets allowed him to get a couple post up opportunities because he has great footwork and can still score on most bigs. Even more, I wish the Rockets supported him to shoot from the elbow more because it would force defenses to get out of the paint. Ne would usually pass it back out, even though he's made those jumpers his entire life. Still, NeNe couldn't be our Clint answer.

Faried couldn't play.

Tucker was focused on Durant and was gassed. He can't play center as much either and be an offensive threat unless the 3s are hitting. Most of all, he's undersized to be playing that spot.

So, again, what were MDA's options instead of Clint? Honestly, I don't see a blatant change he could have made. Clint could have been an xxfactor, but he lost aggressiveness, as he does when he isn't scoring. He stops defending when he isn't scoring. Those dunks give Clint energy.

MDA could have adjusted a lineup, but we wnet to war with all we had. I've been screaming for PF and C depth for years, but the Rockets focus on the 1-3 spots because we shoot so many 3s.

Either way, I respect your opinion.

Patience, bballjunkie, Deuce and 7 others like this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think it's a mistake too. No one is better than Jeff as an associate HC.

Morey still believe MDA will take the team to win the championship next season? Without Jeff, Does he think MDA is a much better coach than Mike Budenholzer and Steve Kerr?
    I don't get it, explain to me.

14. JW86

JW86 Member

@Codman wow we seriously let all those deals fall through?! If it is then Tilman is another **** up and might as well give up as a fan...to your point yes I want MDA gone. He doesn’t really coach and most of all doesn’t inspire guys to really believe they can win it all. That’s what I’m seeing from the outside.

MDA put faith in Gerald Green and Capela, yet couldn’t trust Nene while he was producing as opposed to those two who kept messing up big time. That’s inexcusable to me. Sticking with your guys is one thing, but especially Capela was playing like a timid freaking rookie and Nene was balling out.

You could argue that not securing rebounds cost us more so than anything. Nene and also Faried could have helped, though sounds like the latter was not really available. I just don’t trust MDA and I haven’t in a long time. Same goes for Harden.

I do not put this series on MDA, but I definitely think with a coach who is more hands on and ready to mix it up we stand more of a chance. I am really tired of 7 guy rotations and a coach who just lets his star do whatever and the team shoot threes. I get Morey and Tilman are responsible too, but they are not going anywhere. Harden is also not going to change and we need a change at the top.

lw17 likes this.
  15. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Tell us more about “the subtraction” he needed to be convinced to re-up!

16. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

This is disappointing to hear. I have real concern about the leadership of the organization now. He bears very little for what happened last year.

17. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

He’s a consummate professional and I hope he retires a rocket

18. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Will Zeke Hartenstein be ready to contribute next season?

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not really that big of a deal.

They will find someone else.

Y’all love to be mad. lol

Remlap, HP3 and lionaire like this.