1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Fans Team Assessment and Questions to Ask Yourself

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, May 27, 2008.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Question 1: Are the Rockets core group of players (TMac, Yao, Battier, Rafer, Scola, Landry) able to seriously challenge for a title over the next 3 or 4 years?

When answering this question please be honest with your self and take into account all things including health, leadership and the ability to run Rick Adleman’s system. If you believe the answer to this question is yes then you really have no reason to answer any other questions because according to anyone that answers this question we are already poised to win a championship.

Question 2: What is the Rockets biggest weakness and why? Health, leadership, depth, scoring, defense, coaching, point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, center, etc…?

Question 3: What is the best way to shore up the Rockets biggest weakness? Through the draft, trade or free agency?

When answering this question be specific and give examples. Please be realistic and don’t think we can get Ron Artest to sign for the MLE or that we are going to trade Luther Head for the number one pick in the draft. If you think the Rockets have enough fire power to improve using all three avenues then that’s fine to.

Question 4: Could the Rockets improve by trading TMac now while he still has a great deal of trade value?

Question 4.1: What could the Rockets realistically get for TMac? Best case scenarios, worst case scenarios?

Question 5: Could the Rockets improve by trading Yao Ming now while he still has a great deal of trade value?

Question 5.1: What could the Rockets realistically get for Yao Ming? Best case and worst case scenarios?

Question 6: Is there any player on the team that you would refuse to move in order to make the team better? If so then why?

Question 7: If the Rockets make no major additions either through the draft, free agency or a trade what are your expectations for the team next year?

Thanks for playing!

I’ll submit my answers later in the thread.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

your first question..is great..don't have time to read the others...but i don't think that lineup will serve us good

i was thinking it over, maybe if we trade shane, bobby, luther for marion or ginobili

would it work??

3. kwng

kwng Member

Our core players have great potentials except our PG. We could contend with the current core provided if they remain healthy and that's a BIG IF. We would be one good PG and a decent back up C from being a serious contender.
    Injury is part of the game, we need to address it and we could do that, we have one or two bench players who can pick the slacks when one or two of our core players are injured.

4. kwng

kwng Member

5. kwng

kwng Member

Starters

Yao, TMac, Battier, Scola, Alston

2nd back up

Mutombo - good but limited in min and offense (hence unable to pick up the offensive slack but will improve the defensive end)
    Head - MIA and cannot provide decent back up
    Landry - good and can pick up the slack
    BJackson - streaky and maybe can pick up the slack (probably can't)
    ABrook - still unproven and cannot pick up the slack

3rd back up

Novak - still unproven and cannot pick up the slack
    MHarris - still unproven and cannot pick up the slack
    Wood - cannot pick up the slack
    Hayes - can improve defensive end but cannot pick up the slack in offensive
    end
    Francis - was injured and IF he can get back near to his play in Orlando, he can pick up the slack

Well, we do not have a very strong bench. We only have Landry and a BIG MAYBE Francis who has overall skill to pick up reasonably in offensive and defensive slack.
    We then have Hayes and Mutombo who can provide the good defensive end
    play.
    The rests are not consistent and are difficult to see they can push up their game to another level.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

My answer to this question is NO! They have proven over the last few years that Yao and TMac can not stay healthy all year. Yao has missed the last quarter of 2 of the last 3 years and has missed substantial time in all of the last 3 years. Broken foot twice, micro fracture and bad toes.

TMac has had back issues since he arrived in Houston and not shown that he can stand up to the work load that your teams superstar needs to be able to handle. He wares out at the end of seasons and fades at the end of play off games when we need him the most.

I like both TMac and Yao but I just don't see them suddenly turning into iron men and playing a full 82 games, going into the play-offs fresh enough to seriously contend for anything other than another first round exit.

What is the deffinition of crazy? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I actually think the Rockets have two weaknesses. Health is obviously at the top of the list and the other is not having a true go to guy to close out games...perticularly during play offs. TMac may have been the assassin you want at the end of a game earlier in his career but not any more. Yao has never really been that guy due to fatigue.

I think we can use all three avenues to help the team.

Draft - Portland has already made it known that they are interested in getting rid of their pick at number 13. I would work very hard at trying to buy that pick for cash and future pick and a player if need be. Joe Alexander is slotted at that spot and I would love to have a super athletic Matt Harpring ( http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joe-Alexander-1185/ )on our team. Don't let Mark Cuban out bid you for this pick.

Trade - I happen to think we have a lot of trade bait on our team in the way of expiring contracts, Shane Battier ( I would trade in a secound for the right deal) and personally I would be willing to listen to offers for any player on the team including TMac and Yao.

Free Agency - Could we land Corey Maggette for the MLE? I doubt it but we should be able to land a decent player using the MLE even if that player is in Europe.

I'll have to answer the rest later.

7. bjshot

bjshot Member

Question 1: Are the Rockets core group of players (TMac, Yao, Battier, Rafer, Scola, Landry) able to seriously challenge for a title over the next 3 or 4 years?

Yes if assume the top four (TMac, Yao, Battier, Rafer) have no major injures.

Question 2: What is the Rockets biggest weakness and why? Health, leadership, depth, scoring, defense, coaching, point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, center, etc…?

Health and 3rd scorer off bench who can create his own shot and be efficient. If be healthy and get a 3rd scorer like Mike Miller (now not possible) by expired contracts and picks, HR will dominate the league like CHicago Bulls in 1990s.

Question 3: What is the best way to shore up the Rockets biggest weakness? Through the draft, trade or free agency?

Need some luck. Can draft a great role player (rotation 4-8) in low position, But it's almost impossible to get a 3rd scorer immediately by picking in 20s. Trade for damage goods like Ron Artest a couple years ago when his price was low or to a rebuilding team with expired contracts and picks. BJ's E.C. will be very valuable in the middle of the season.

Question 4: Could the Rockets improve by trading TMac now while he still has a great deal of trade value?

No.

Question 4.1: What could the Rockets realistically get for TMac? Best case scenarios, worst case scenarios?

Best case a Redd. Worst a penny.

Question 5: Could the Rockets improve by trading Yao Ming now while he still has a great deal of trade value?

Almost No.

Question 5.1: What could the Rockets realistically get for Yao Ming? Best case and worst case scenarios?

Amare.

Question 6: Is there any player on the team that you would refuse to move in order to make the team better? If so then why?

Currently TMac, Yao, Battier, Scola, Landry, AB, Novak, Hayes, Rafer Because of Chemistry and Potential. But if the position is improved significantly (which usually won't happen) I will deal Hayes, Rafer. No team will deal a better point guard to a worse pg.

Question 7: If the Rockets make no major additions either through the draft, free agency or a trade what are your expectations for the team next year?

Bar major injury, should be top2/3 in WC.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

T-Mac deserves and earned himself another year. If next season doesn't work out we'll have his ginormous contract coming off the books the year after thus making us a key player in trades and free agency.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#1: Yes. Including ongoing player acquisitions, draft, etc.
    #2: Health and outside shooting.
    #3: Can't fix health. Outside shooting is attainable through FA, draft. We did it in '05, we can do it again.
    #4: i'll pass on this question.
    #5: i'll pass on this question. this question bores me.
    #6: "Who would you refuse to move to make the team better." Aren't you answering that question for us. Why would I turn down a trade that makes the team better? OK, maybe I'd turn down Novak for Kirilenko, because I just refuse to root for a crybaby.
    #7 See #1

10. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

No, I don't think we have enough height in our Pf position and I don't think Rafer is consistent enough for us to win it all. Also, I agree with your durability assessment.
    Definitely point guard. I think rafer is a viable option for backup point, but I don't think anyone behind him is consistent enough to play good minutes. Bobby Jackson does not perform well in the playoffs. Everyone is hating on Luther, but BJ is a career .405 from the field and .270 from three. This year he was 20 for 70 from the field which is definitely more damaging than Head not showing up.
    I don't think trading Luther now is a good idea. The Rockets rarely trade players when their stocks are low, and I think we will wait till the trade deadline. With that in mind, that probably means we will trade Bobby Jackson for a good player. I don't see us moving very far up the draft board, because we have no assets.
    No, I don't think he has a great deal of trade value left.
    Best case Carmelo Anthony. I don't think this will improve the team unless we get a good point guard.
    I'm not sure what his trade value is, because it's hard to imagine us trading him. We've traded about every player around him to find the right fit for him. We've been building around him since he got into the league and I don't see that changing.
    Best Case Dwight Howard, But I don't think this will improve our team. Yao is a better fit for this system.
    As long as we get better, there's nobody I wouldn't move, however, I don't think moving our superstars would improve the team.
    We will be a good team, and I expect them to go farther in the playoffs barring injuries.

11. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Question 1 No. We are not JVG's team anymore and the current line up wont get it done against the West.

Question 2 Depth, scoring, health. Not necessarily in that order. I think depth is in direct corelation to health since T-Mac and Yao don't seem to be 82 game guys. Scoring is always the main issue. Rafer shouldn't be the third option on offense, Battier either won't be aggresive offensively or isn't capable on offense and his defense doesn't make up for it enough. Scola is an upgrade but he isn't consistent enough to be the third option at least yet.

Question 3 Trade, free agency and then draft in that order. All have good side and bad. Trade, we give up something for something else. If we can hold on to our players that can really help us, and lose some players that can be replaced..maybe. Free agency, we might get someone that can be a good role player, but we have too many of those. Draft, there's a diamond in the rough out there, but can we get him? On top of that, your looking at two seasons to become better...

Question 4 No. You can't trade T-Mac. We would only get pennies on the dollars. You trade him to rebuild.

Question 4.1 See pennies on the dollar. You might be able to pull something off with Chicago that can benefit both of us, but it's going to be a hard sell.

Question 5 NO. He's one of the best centers in the game, he might not see the HOF, but you aren't going to get better than him. Anyone you can trade him for isn't going to give you more than he gives.

Question 6 Yao. If the right offer was presented for anyone else, I might be inclined to pull the trigger.

Question 7 We'll be one of the top western conference teams, but untill we add a true third scorer we'll never get to the big dance. We'll be another Sacramento Kings...fun to watch, puts a scare into other teams, but will always be the bride's maid.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Very well done.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

No, I agree that the Rockets are currently a "Bridesmaid" team, the starting lineup sans Yao and TMac is the weakest in the West maybe the entire league. I do not view Battier, Alston, or even Scola as NBA starters. I am still amazed at the early season's starting lineup. Are you kidding? Since TMac and Yao will be out for extended periods as they are each season, this team is clearly not a contender. A legit third scorer on the order of an Artest would make a huge difference. Shooting is their greatest need, including jumpers, layups, and free throws.

#13 solid, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I don't feel like trading McGrady and starting all over again.

What I really think that Rockets are just few more good scorers/penetrators and PG away from being a dominant team ofcourse with healthy players.

Just look at the Lakers, Gasol,Kobe, Odom are healthy and playing good ball making everbody around better.

People pretend like this team never won one of the franchise best 55 wins that included 22 you know what.

15. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Thank you

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Undoubtadly yes, they need some health and could use a tweak here and there on the roster where one of them might be moved, but if not, sure, they are good enough to challenge for a title, even next year.

Health is the biggest weakness, if the key players can stay healthy ala the Spurs the team can contend. If not we need more depth.

Now, I think the 2nd biggest weakness is in the PG position, a 2nd player on the perimeter than can take advantage when teams take away Tmac and Yao, preferably one that can create his own shot as well as create for others.

I think you have to look at every possible way. Draft well, try to improve in Free Agency, and through trades, always look to improve.

I think the easiest way to improve may be through a trade though, then Free Agency and the draft last.

I do not believe at this point that you will get fair market value for Tmac and that he would be best suited as the 2nd option when Yao gets back.

Tough question, but I would think it would be two good young players, I don't see a worst case scenario because I don't think the Rockets would trade him if that was all that was offered....was a bag of Doritos.

No, I think Yao is the only untouchable player on the team.

No trade, no reason to answer this question.

Yao, I don't think you can get a player that is as good as him in trade, and I believe another year under Adelman will make him even better and the true leader of this current team.

If they stay healthy, I think they compete for the WC title.

DD

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Could the Rockets improve by trading TMac now while he still has a great deal of trade value?

Trading McGrady probably would not provide an immediate return, but the franchise would be better off in the long run for washing their hands of him.

What could the Rockets realistically get for TMac? Best case scenarios, worst case scenarios?

Probably not much, but we're lucky to get anything from him at the end of games.

Could the Rockets improve by trading Yao Ming now while he still has a great deal of trade value?

No.

Is there any player on the team that you would refuse to move in order to make the team better? If so then why?

Other than Yao, no. This team hasn't made noise for years, so no one is sacred. I would be reluctant to move Yao at this point because he is arguably the best at his position, still young, and the face of the franchise.

If the Rockets make no major additions either through the draft, free agency or a trade what are your expectations for the team next year?

If Yao stays healthy, we may be able to get into the conference semis. Anything more is a bonus.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we'll get more back trading yao than tmac. we're pretty deep at the PF position and if we can trade yao for a chris bosh + calderon, we're stacked at every position for the most part.

trading tmac wouldn't yield much b/c of his contract and potential injuries.

as you've seen, the remaining teams show you don't really need a true post player to dominate and advance deep in the playoffs. a chris bosh/amare would fit perfectly into our offense, esp. with the emergence of scola and landry.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're welcome.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's a pretty onterseting thread and I'm sure it will bring a lot of debate. I'm not advanced enough to repost the question, so i'll just give my opinions on what I think.

As constructed, the rox core isn't good enough to be serious contenders to me. I think we have been fooled to think so because we have had 2 really good coaches that can get guys to play really hard and overacheive. In the end, the best team with talent win out. Now just because I don't think they're good enough now, don't mean it can't be repaired quickly.

The biggest problems are health and personell. The health part is self explanatory. The talent is one that rages debate. The talent is overrated. Someone posted earlier that Scola, Rafer, and Battier aren't starters. I tend to agree and i'll take it further. Head,Hayes,and Novak are situational guys. Sso what we have is 2 all star types, 3-20mins guys, 3 situational subs, and Brooks and Landry with the most upside. That won't get it done no matter what ppl think. Mix that in with 2 injury plagued players and ur flirting with trouble. Once again, talent upgrades will do it.

The best way to do it is thru draft and trade. Since the rox are in win now mode, they have to try to win now. They have to get longer,tougher, and more atheletic. They need to pull that 3rd scorer out to complete the deal. Everyone know I'm in Artest corner. I think he's a win now player that cause matchup problems for the other teams. He's a risk, but after 4 yrs of injuries and a bad trade, that's what they're to now. I think Scola or Landry should be made because they're too similar in size/skill set. That backup needs to be a tim thomas type or tim thomas. Another matchup problem player. He isn't the franchise savior many thought he would be, but he is a good player. After adressing that, I have to draft the best player availiable. Even if they have no plans to keep him, some teams mights have a high rating on that guy. Even though they have Yao, if hibbert was there, they would have to take him.

I could trade tracy, but if u do, ur not going to get anyone close to do what he do for this team. He's the most imactful judging by the teams record without him. Since u can't get Kobe or Lebron, u have to keep him. Now if u want to run Adelmans version of this offense like the did in Sacrament o, then a guy like Redd probably makes the most sense. The problem is even when tracy isn't shooting well, he's ur best passer and decision maker. Not only would u have to upgraded with redd, u will probably have to alter the pg which the probably do anyone.

Trading Yao is probably easier for me than most if it was a on the court decision. We know its not, but for argument purposes and this thread, l'll give my opinion . As much as I like yao when he's in the 2nd gsw game, the 1st against that same leaves me scartching my head.Also, his playoffs impact hasn't been what I would expect from "the best center in basketball." Since Yao has the off court appeal and people like the steady play and flashes of dominance, the rox could get a lot of quality players. The one I always bring up is Cliippers. They have a good young pivot (Kaman), and some other players and or draft picks. Kaman had a good yr 16ppg 13rebs and 3blks this past yr. He's 2 yrs younger and that's probably as good as he will get. That's cool though. The owner will never surround yao with enough talent so it doesn't really matter about the in-conference thing. Hell, you might can put together Yao,scola,and Jackson and francis for Brand and Kaman and a pick. The money works the same and now you have Tracy,Brand,Kaman and posssibly a lotto pick. Now u injected one of the best 4's in brand and a good center that is pretty mobile in Kaman. Once again, I can't see them trading yao, but its my opinion.

I see this team with a clean bill of health with the same lineup as a 4th seed again. That 4th seed might be 2 games out of 1st and the lotto next yr. In the playoffs, talent and team ball make things happen. We could be boosting this thread agains next seasn.