1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fans, someone's talking about an asterisk!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketability, May 15, 2001.

1. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Jackson says plenty

Thought Jackson's not directing it at the Rockets, it's such a tasteless statement that he made.

This guy is an absolute a-hole! [​IMG]

Go Spurs!!!

------------------
    They couldn't stop him in the early 90s; now they can't stop him in the 21st century
    -- Bill Worell on Phoenix defense on Hakeem

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Stupid Head Games. Wont work against the Spurs, too professional, too focused.

------------------
    Charles Barkely on the Raptors defeating the Knicks in Round 1 :"I think it was the Lord. The Lord was with the Raptors. You know the Knicks like to talk so much about religion, but I think the Lord was a Raptor fan."

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Ohhhhhhhhh how I wish I wish I wish Hakeem and the Rockets could have slapped MJ and the bulls up and down the court throughout the 90's.

God I hope the Spurs beat LA.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's funny that Phil Jackson is so upset with Isiah Rider, Phil Jackson has the biggest mouth and is the most arrogant guy in basketball. I'm pretty sure that his fellow coaches don't have any respect for him, and it isn't because he has won some championships. Why he would want to fired up the San Antonio Spurs I do not know. If he thinks that losing Derek Anderson will make them easier to beat he is sadly mistaken. Nothing like firing up to great big men, who are former champions and are focused, and have who owned you the past 3 years. Real smart "Zen Master".

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

5. kbm

kbm Member

Not that I necessarily perfer Duncan and Robinson to Shaq, but those guys can at least nuetralize him and therefore I think Jackson is worried and really, really, wants to motivate his star player even more in the series.

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

[This message has been edited by kbm (edited May 16, 2001).]

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Jackson can Shove it up his asterisk , Jordan DID come back and He Got BEAT by Orlando! When will these idiots ever figure it out? We kicked the crap out of Every Team when they had Home Court Advantage! Hakeem Dominated Shaq! We swept them! "We cant get no respect"

------------------
    C-Webb ,
    C-Webb Run ,
    Run C-Webb! , Run to Houston!

[This message has been edited by moestavern19 (edited May 16, 2001).]

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't understand what y'all are pissed at. He stated before the lockout season started that he felt the team that one that year should have an asterisk next to there name, why should he change that opinion now, just because he's playing the team that happened to win that year.

He's right, the Spurs do play illegal defense. That's not to say that the Lakers don't do anything illegal (Shaq in the lane for 2 minutes). He did go out of his way, as did other players to say that the Spurs were a good team.

I think this is a case of chip on our shoulderitis with the whole asterisk thing.

Oh God, why am I defending these people? [​IMG]

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Did someone mention asterisk?

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

9. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

And just how are Jackson's comments a slap at the Rockets?

He was never the one that said "The Rockets wouldn't have beat my Bulls."

All he did was make an observation that the Spurs Title in 99 deserved an * before the season started. I agree with him. If an NFL team won a Super Bowl in a 10 game season instead of a 16 game season, it would be a little marred by being only a half-season. It's just not quite the same.

For instance, if the Rockets had won in 99 it still would have been nice, but not nearly as satisfying as our 2 titles in normal seasons.

Jackson is arrogant, but the Spurs are more annoying to me because they tanked to get Duncan.

------------------
    Get Cato out of there...

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Spurs do not play illegal defense, I challenge anyone to provide proof otherwise.

11. Toast

Toast Member

I think every team in the league plays illegal defense. Maybe not every possession, but c'mon. You can see a zone every game.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

In the NFL and MLB they make reference to seasons that were cut short by strike and/or work stoppage.

What's the difference?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

They didn't tank.

They flat out sucked that season. Their three best players from the previous season were injured for large parts of the season(Robinson, Del Negro, and Elliot).

Robinson was out for more than 60 games, Del Negro 50, and Elliot 15.

They struggled to something like a 20-win season. And Dominique Wilkins had to give them like 18 a night to get them those wins.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

14. Spurever

Spurever Member

The Spurs didn't tank that season. I mean, would people be condemning them had they ended up with Tony Battie or Chauncey Billups? (Well, they had heavily scouted Derek Anderson.)

------------------

15. Spurever

Spurever Member

Well, I don't think they are anymore guilty of a zone than LA.

Jackson's little games are interesting stuff for fans to chat about, but I think that players are a little above that. Though what I've heard is contained in O'Neal's latest literary masterpiece might make me wrong.

The Spurs are as illegal as the next team...as a fan, I can only think that this shows that Jackson is concerned about facing the team with the personnel necessary to keep O'Neal in check.

For LA, to win the series they need Kid Kobe and some of the supporting cast to step up. Kobe will get his, but the rest? I don't know.

------------------

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

whoa buddy!

the spurs DID tank that season. david wasn't even injured that season. i met dominique wilkins - THAT YEAR - and he told me so himself.

this was at a pro-am league my old college was sponsoring. nique, lloyd daniels, fennis dembo, and some other guys were playing in it. nique was there wathcing lloyd along with some other guys. the thing was, they knew that dave couldn't carry that team any further than they had gone already, and they felt they might as well improve through the draft.

so don't tell me how they sucked that year. they TANKED that year.

17. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

TheFreak is trolling. Obviously. But I'll bite.

You can see the Spurs are called for illegal defense violations in this box score, this box score.

The Spurs committed 34 technical fouls during the regular season. Individual players were guilty of 17 technical fouls.

This leaves 17 technicals that must've either been on Popovich, or for illegal defense. A technical foul for illegal defense means 2 illegal D violations. I can't find anywhere telling me how many T's Popovich got called for, but I suspect its significantly less than 17.

The Spurs did get called for multiple illegal defense violations during the regular season. There is no question that the Spurs played illegal defense multiple times during the regular season.

I was really surprised when I started looking, though. Looks to me like the Spurs got called for fewer illegal defense violations than any other team....

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So, you're saying that the Spurs played illegal defense a maximum of 34 times during this past 82-game season? That means they played "illegal defense" a little more than ONE TIME every 3 games? That is what you're saying, right?

19. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Are you trolling for responses, or quibbling about sematics?

You said:

In fact, the Spurs were called for illegal D several times this season. They played illegal D several times.

I can't figure out what your point might be, unless you're quibbling over "played during the regular season" (past tense) as opposed to "play" (present tense).

Are you trying to say: "Although the Spurs were called for illegal defense several times during the regular season, they have since stopped." ?

Or "Although the Spurs were called for illegal defense during the regular season, they were never actually guilty" ?

One place we may agree: looks to me like the Spurs got called for illegal D less often than most other teams.

20. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

How about this: "Although the Spurs were called a few times for illegal defense, they do not routinely play an illegal defense."

I'll buy that one too.