1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Draft Hits and Misses

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hizzobbes, Jun 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

2. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

Wow Luther Head over David Lee, Monta Ellis, Louis Williams, Andray Blatche, and Marcin Gortat .... My god :eek:

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What a stupid way of thinking about the draft.

So a pick is a "miss" unless you choose the absolute unquestionable best player available out of the dozens of available options?

For example, Chase Budinger, who played productively for the Rockets, was once a starter and was traded for the 18th pick of the 2012 draft, was a "miss" at the 44th pick because Danny Green, drafted 46th by Cleveland, turned out to be a very good player even thoug this only happened with the Spurs, the team that he signed with after being cut by the team that drafted him?

Where do they hire these geniuses from at the Houston Chronicle?

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Clutchfans? Especially those with outspoken post-trade commentary/analysis ...

5. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously. I mean most players are drafted based on potential. There's really no way to know whether or not someone will be a superstar, or even an all-star to say the least, unless they are guys like Lebron, Melo, Durant, etc. Even Wade had his fair share of doubters. I'm just surprised at the 05' draft and how many good/decent players we "missed".

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Slideshow?

When did the Chron turn into BleacherReport? :confused:

:p

7. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I definitely wasn't taking it that serious. Any time something is presented as a photo gallery I don't consider it serious analysis.

I thought it was kind of fun just to see who we got and where other guys went.

I guess Carl would only like this thread if it labeled TRob a miss... Oh well.

8. jocar

jocar Member

Not sure how much water this guy's ranking method holds but it's the only one I could find (Houston ranked #22). NY at last place kinda makes sense though. :grin:

[​IMG]

NBA Draft Analysis:
    Best/Worst Drafting Teams (1989-2008)

NBA Draft Analysis:
    Best/Worst Drafting Teams
    by Roland Beech, 82games.com

[Thanks to an assist from the wonderful Basketball-Reference.com web site, I gathered together the last twenty NBA Drafts (1989-2008) with an array of intended analysis in mind.]

In the first part of this series on "NBA Player Development" I studied the average performance of players by their draft pick number. In part two I will take a look at the specific teams and how they have fared!

To recap a few principles, since B-R provides career games, and then per game points, rebounds, assists and minutes, I have gone with an admittedly highly simplistic look on things with:
    Rating = points/game + rebounds/game + assists/game

Why use this definition? It's the data I have easily on hand, which while not a good player rating system is a decent wag for these purposes. Then I group players as follows:

Star -- 20+ rating
    Solid -- 15 to 19.9
    Role Player -- 10 to14.9
    Deep Bench -- 5 to 9.9
    Complete Bust -- less than 5
    DNP -- (never played in the NBA)

Keep in mind the stats are career per game averages so lower than the peak performance years of a player. Moreover, there is also some bias in that using recent years some of the current players may well spike up their career 'standing' with more years under the belt.

Now to try and gauge drafting performance it is not enough to simply look at average stats, rather we need to adjust by the expected stats for the pick # -- so from our chart in part one, the #1 pick averages 16.6 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.7 assists, etc and we need to compare that to the actual stats of a team picking at #1 to get a sense of the net...did they over or under-achieve for the pick.

Obviously there are a lot of issues with this approach, such as do you reward San Antonio for taking a consensus #1 in Duncan? The answer to me is yes, because we are talking not only about drafting but about hopefully some measure of player development which is the bigger theme in play.

On account of this, one additional point to mention is in the event of draft day trades, the team winding up with a player after the trade is counted as 'drafting' the player. So for example Dallas gets credit for Nowitzki even though the Bucks actually drafted him (but then moved him on the the Mavericks). It may be I missed some of these transitions as well if they were sometime after the draft, in which case I'll post a corrected version later on.

To calculate value I compare a player's career stats to the average stats for his draft pick number. For example, Kobe Bryant averages 25.0 pts per game for his career, but the average for a #13 pick (including Kobe) is just 9.8 pts per game so his team gets credit for +15.2 points per game for his pick and so on.

9. jocar

jocar Member

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also at a time where Yao and Tmac could have used any of those players...yeah that one really sucked.

11. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

wow, that's some painful facts, missing out on so much talent

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Could have had freaking Rajon Rondo.

13. sabesque

sabesque Member

Also saw this on the Huffington Post - feature that goes through the best and worst draft pick for each team.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/nba-draft-history-best-worst-ever-all-30-teams_n_3503515.html?utm_hp_ref=sports#slide=2620851

Here's what they said for the Rockets. The best is pretty obvious.

14. WNBA

WNBA Member

Thats why Rockets only passed the first round once in 20 years.

very very incompetent FO.