1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Declining Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

James looks dopey even when he's ready to riot

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So it's all in this off season melo it is

3. LandryMegaBeast

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He don't looked fazed at all

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Chandler gets paid a year earlier and the Rockets have more control over things.

Makes sense for both sides.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

By becoming a RFA and meeting the starter's criteria, the Rockets must offer Parsons a QO equivalent to the 21st pick of the draft, which would be $3+mil.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

Give it up bro, les won't do that for parsons, he was just a good deal while it lasted... Be happy ya boy is getting paid a yr early this summer... He's probably throwing a party right now

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So the question is if you trade Asik, Lin, Dmo, and # 25 for cap room and taking into consideration Parson's new caphold what's the max we can offer someone?

9. jacoby

jacoby Member

If Les simply sees Parsons as "a good deal while it lasts" he either A) Would have told Morey to retain him for the fourth year or B) Trade him at the deadline.

But you're speaking out of your ass, so it's all good.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

The problem is that the Rockets have now lost roughly $3mil in capspace. Before this move, the Rockets could've retained Parsons, Jones, and Beverley while giving Melo roughly $18~19mil/yr. Now, that number goes down to ~$15~16mil/yr.

This is a weird move in all aspect unless Morey literally promised Dan Fegan last year that he'd do this.

11. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Don't care. Goodbye Chandler, you Evan Turner 2.0.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

First, it won't be a tall order to get rid of Asik for no $ in return. The team can probably get a future draft pick or something of value for him as well.

Second, Lin's contract will cost an asset to trade, but it is doable. Plenty of teams have substantial cap room this summer, and several will likely be willing to "rent cap room" for a price if they don't manage to land a free agent. It's $15M but it's an expiring contract.

Third, the team may not even need to trade Lin before taking on the $ for a big free agent. If you can manage to get a sign and trade done with a free agent's team or some third team taking on Asik + one or two smaller contracts, the Rockets can take back a great deal of salary. Maybe not enough for Melo or Lebron, but could be for anyone willing to take up to $15-16M to start.

13. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Alan D ‏@ADrapach Jun 1
    @ChandlerParsons do u think u will ever leave the Rockets?

Chandler Parsons
    ‏@ChandlerParsons
    “@ADrapach: @ChandlerParsons do u think u will ever leave the Rockets?” Ask @dmorey

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Not so fast in proclaiming jopatmc as the new Nostradamus; Parsons might be headed to the Knicks in a sign and trade, along with Asik and Lin. Morey has no doubt been sending out feelers on salary dumps and perhaps he has come to the conclusion no one will take on Lin's contract, even with #25, TJones and a couple million attached to it.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess is that Morey is confident that a star can be acquired by trade, including sign and trade, rather than a straight signing. The former is preferable anyway in terms of leaving the team with both the MLE and the BAE to use on role players.

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

So hypothetically speaking can't we keep Asik while freeing up that $15m for someone like Melo or LeBron? Lin and the asset would be gone. Obviously Asik is much more important to this team than Lin.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

I know don't mind me, Morey & les are concerned about PARSONS right now... Was first to speak on lebron if heat don't win, funny how woj reporting it 5 later... And BOSH oh he just happens to be in my SIG... Melos no secret

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wow, this is huge.

Completely different than how I envisioned it.

Makes me feel like we have a trade lined up for one of the lesser players, ie Milsap/Lowry.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given that a S&T involves agreement from both the player and the team, I find it unlikely that Morey would just be "confident" that he can do it. If he's truly confident, then it means there's already an oral agreement somewhere.

The only other scenario I see is that we're S&T Parsons for a lottery pick. This is the only only other scenario that makes sense. Perhaps Sacramento for the 8th pick, for example. But even that's difficult to pull off because Parsons can simply sign an offer sheet with a different team he likes, and force the Rockets to match it.

Again, I have to think there are behind the scenes work here. On the surface, this cannot possibly be good for the Rockets.

20. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I think this is a good move. First of all, I think $12 -$13 is way too much for parsons but you never know as all it takes is one team. But I think the strong relationship between parsons and morey as well as parsons and Howard plays a major role here. Let's say a team like the cavs offers him $13 mil a year. Before he even signs an offer sheet he will let morey know. Morey will come back to him and offer him maybe $9-10 mil but has to wait until after signing the third star. So then Chandler's choices are:

1. Sign with a team like cleveland who won't pay the max for kyrie, will have the #1 pick, and some cap room left after signing parsons. He would be in Cleveland with not much chance of winning any time soon.

2. Wait for the 3rd star to sign in Houston (let's say melo) and then agree to sign for $9-$10 mil. He loses on a little money but remember he was going to have to play for $1mil if morey hadn't declined the option. So now he ends up living in Houston with the howard, harden, maybe melo, and parsons as the 4th best player on a championship team. (This option would require moving asik and lin to either new york directly or to a team like philly that can make it work)

If those are the 2 options I think the choice is clear. In the past Rockets restricted free agents were forced to go out there and find a team to offer them a contract before rockets would consider matching. But the key this year is that morey and parsons will come to an understanding that parsons shouldn't sign an offer sheet from another team., And in return Morey will take care of parsons after signing the 3rd star and parsons salary affect on the cap at that point won't matter much.

#120 Horry33, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.