1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Cuts / Episode 9/ The Sampson Shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 29, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1 tinman, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    D-rock, Jturbofuel and napalm06 like this.
  2. jim petersen84

great footage they should have added audio of gene peterson & jim foley houston radio.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

at least it's trinitron quality video

the drama and crowd and ac green laying on the floor

perfect drama

4. tinman

Supporting Member

D-rock likes this.
  5. jim petersen84

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Jake O'Donnell and Joey Crawford calling the game its a miracle the Rockets won.

MONON and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

oh damn when the rockets were free to watch on local houston tv

and you get the pointer sisters too

D-rock likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Deckard, D-rock and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There is a regular season game vs Nuggets from 86 on Prime there too.

Some other Rockets games I saw scrolling through last night

87 Game 6 vs Sonics
    93 Game 5 vs Clippers
    93 Game 7 vs Sonics
    09 Game 1 vs Lakers

D-rock likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

This was the highest point of Rocket fandom to date. We went from last in the league to the finals in 2 or 3 years. It was like a Disney movie happening in real life staring home town heroes. Just fantastic. The twin towers were just larger than life. “Unbeatable” & “Dream” songs all over the radio. The people of Houston were on fire for the young Rockets. We all knew this was going to be our first championship ever! The first of many!

Deckard and D-rock like this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

People should watch this game. Most exciting and intense game in Rockets history in my opinion, and I’ve seen most.

The fights, the ejections, the big shots, the biggest shot in Rockets history.

Ralph and Akeem played like men possessed, throwing haymakers left and right.

In the end the fabled Lakers go down, and the Rockets stand tall in victory.

Must see TV.

Deckard, fattz, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  12. lnchan

Just coincidence that I watched it today on the anniversary. Great game overall. Akeem had sooo much quickness.... and a quick temper. Lakers were intentionally trying to get both him and Ralph ejected. Of course David Stern found another way to knock that team down a few levels...

...but the Moreyball in me was thinking... WHY ARE YOU TAKING THOSE LONG 2s!?! YOU HAVE THE RANGE TO KNOCK THOSE 3s DOWN.

Deckard and D-rock like this.
  13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I remember watching it back then I can say live because it was on tape delay back then. For you young ones they used to not have playoff games live they would air them after the 10pm news. I screamed when Sampson hit the shot I have no idea how I didn't wake the entire house up.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

The Lakers were considered invincible too

15. tinman

Supporting Member

20 vision was amazing

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Regular season vs Lakers Dec 85 you could see how good John Lucas was at pushing the ball and getting us easy looks in transition. This Rockets team was really one of the few teams in the league that would try and run the showtime Lakers.

Deckard, tinman and D-rock like this.
  17. lnchan

Except with more cocaine...

D-rock likes this.
  18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

this was on nbatv the other day. i literally don't think i've seen a big man expend as much energy as hakeem in this game. it's almost like he can't stop moving. he chases steals 30 feet from the basket. every time we score a fastbreak layup hakeem pops in the screen and you realize he was running. then he turns and runs back on defense. and of course he's posting and making super quick moves all game (lakers mostly just foul him). i wouldn't say all the motion was productive as he frequently got himself out of position, but he also didn't just stand there after missing a steal or running the break, he ran hard to get back in the play. i can't think of a big man that i've seen run that much in one game. he just doesn't get tired.

this was my other thought from the game. the crazy lack of spacing for hakeem and sampson because everyone was shooting 20 footers. how did someone watch akeem olajuwon obliterate post defenders from damn near day 1 in the league and watch us give him no room to operate by constantly shooting 18 to 22 footers, often with the help defender practically sitting in olajuwon's lap as he caught the ball, and it take 6 ****ing years for someone to come along and go "hey, what if we gave this hakeem guy the ball every time and put a bunch of 3 point shooters around him so he has room to operate, what do you guys think?" the fact hakeem was scoring in the low 20's in the early 90's is criminal.

Deckard and lnchan like this.
  19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

damn, how many times did hakeem and kareem dunk on each other? one thing that didn't stand out to me when i was younger but has the last few years, is just how damn tall kareem was. i don't even know what a high school or college person was doing when they guarded him. praying i guess.

also, john lucas's fastbreak at the 5 minute mark is hilarious. he has kareem in front of him with 3 trailers all running, waiting to get the ball for the dunk and he just launches a shot over kareem that almost misses the backboard.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It looked bad but he used to shoot this high arching bank shot where he would run down the white line that borders the 3 second area and make them at a high percentage. It was beyond crazy to watch him do it on a regular basis.