1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rockets could return to their "classic" jerseys/logo in the near future...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alcatrazpsycho, Jun 28, 2010.

1. alcatrazpsycho

Okay, so this topic is a drum that has already been beaten to death on clutchfans.net, however I can't help but notice more and more teams switching to "classic" themed logos after the late-'90s of experimenting with (and destroying) long-time fan-adored logos, jerseys, and team colors.  I can't help but suspect that the Rockets will give-in to this trend and return to their championship-era logo, jerseys, and colors (LJC) in the near future.  Here's why...​

Case 1: Detroit Pistons
    Like the Rockets and several other teams in the mid-to-late '90s, they changed their LJCs to one that was arguably one of the ugliest in the history of the NBA during the 1996-97 season.  It didn't take them very long to revert back to their original colors (only five years) and then altogether getting rid of the late '90s specter four years after that (see Figure 1).  Interestingly enough, this was also an era when Joe Dumars went crazy and pieced together a dangerous team.​
    [​IMG]
    Figure 1.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Pistons were the first team to switch back to their originally-prominent LJCs (hard to say classic because it was only a 9-year hiatus).  It wouldn't take very long for other teams to follow this trend as well (especially these past two seasons).​

Case 2: Milwaukee Bucks

The Bucks have always had green and red as their colors since the team's formation, and yet they also unfathomably changed their LJCs in the mid-'90s.  Unlike the Pistons, it would take the Brewers, I mean Bucks!, a bit longer to switch back to their original studs (see Figure 2).​
    [​IMG]
    Figure 2.

Case 3: Philadelphia 76ers
    This was the team that has probably made the boldest move recently by switching back to their "classic" LJCs, bar-none, during the 2009-10 season.  They were flirting with the idea the season prior (2008-09) by playing often in throwback jerseys as part of the team's 60th anniversary, but by the 2009 draft, it was clear that the old logo had returned for good (see Figure 3).​

[​IMG]
    Figure 3.

Case 4: Utah Jazz
    As much as I hate the Utah Jazz, I have to admit, the New Orleans Jazz logo that stuck with them for a decade and a half was quite jammin'.  I mean, their current logo is a backdrop of mountains with the word JAZZ in front.  How does that make any sense??  Okay, so maybe the "J" looks like a saxophone, but that's really about it!  From this year's NBA draft, the Jazz are also on the wagon of changing their LJCs back to a more "classic" one.  Like the 76ers the year before, the Jazz was flirting with the switch by often wearing their green throwback jerseys during the 2009-10 season.  Although the New Orleans eighth-note logo is back, it seems that it will only serve as a secondary logo for now, with the non-sensible 2nd-time re-rendered (and even more hideous) mountain logo taking the driver's seat.  Like the Pistons, I suspect that this logo will eventually go as well, leaving the New Orleans eighth-note logo #1 (see Figure 4).​
    [​IMG]
    Figure 4.

Case 5: Golden State Warriors
    Although not so much a switch back like both the Jazz and the 76ers did, GS is getting nostalgic as well by changing their LJCs to one very similar to that of the '60s with the Bay Bridge.  With the franchise currently up for sale, I wouldn't be surprised if the team winded-up back in San Francisco too.​
    [​IMG]
    Figure 5.

Case 6: Cleveland Cavaliers
    Yes, even the Cavs couldn't resist tweaking their colors a bit as an excuse to be true to their more classic colors.​
    [​IMG]
    Figure 6.

Case 7: Houston Rockets
    Les, now it's your turn.  With the debut of the Rockets' first-ever alternate jerseys last season and the return of mustard-yellow for the first time since 1995, it is quite clear that a switch back to "classic" LJCs may be in Houston's future.​
    [​IMG]
    Figure 7.

With the prospect of adding a big-contract star (or two) and the incredible depth Daryl Morey has added to this roster over the years, it only seems fitting to move forward with the marketing department as well.  Time to start a new era!  We've waited long enough!​

So what do you think?  Will happen within the next season or two? :grin:

5 people like this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I like logos that incorporate the city and name without having to stretch out the logo to fit it or having to add the words outside the logo...that's one of the things i loved about our old one. Maybe they can update it a bit and use it as a second logo like Utah?

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Oh great, another jersey thread.

In all likelihood, no.

4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Interesting but I don't think Rockets will make any change since the latest logo was made in 2003. However, if the Rockets revert back to "classic" LJCs, shouldn't their logo include some mustard color to be consistent of your point?

5. Raven

Raven Member

In my mind, the Rockets will always be red and gold, forever.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I didn't realize the Warriors logo is changing. The new one looks great and is much improved.

As many good memories as the Rockets old school logo brings back, it would still need to be tweaked a fair amount, to me, to be exciting. Other than the fact that it was their old logo, there is nothing that great about it.

OTOH, I think a cool update of this logo:

[​IMG]

would be bad-ass.

7. Dei

Dei Member

Never really liked the classic Rockets logo. Just make the current one less Chinese-y.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

You forgot this retro logo that is going to be used in 2010:

[​IMG]
    1984-1990

[​IMG]
    1991-1998

[​IMG]
    1999-2009

[​IMG]

Donald Sterling is either a cheapass idiot or a true visionary.

#8 topfive, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. alcatrazpsycho

You're right! I also forgot the Boston Celtics and L.A. Lakers! I guess the past and current owners of those franchises are bunch of cheap ass idiots (or visionaries) too.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I love that last one with grey and red. Thats really nice looking or interesting.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

How did you forget the Spurs?

12. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Yes. Couldn't agree more. I've seen some custom-made jerseys that look really sick in the red and grey colorway. They gotta make this happen!

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Nah, I prefer the red and yellow. The true throwbacks. We did win 2 championships with them...and we haven't won one since we changed...

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

they could go back to the red, yellow, white color scheme (classic style, classic logo) but accent them with gray and black. the OP has a great suggestion. i think it would be SICK...

i think the rockets should have a year where they try lots of different combinations of the classic logo (with the colors i mentioned) and let the fans pick which ones they like most.

i mean... jerseys are really a fan thing anyway... fans pick all star games, why not let us be more interactive?

the more different jerseys they have, the more jerseys fans will buy... at least i know i would.

15. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

someone told me they're removing the stripes on our jerseys. so idk if thats going towards getting a new logo or not. Also we got new jerseys last season in our alternates. So we'll see bout a new logo, I dont think we'll get a new logo but changing jerseys is a possibility.

16. 523744

523744 Member

New warriors logo are they hinting at something? ;)
    [​IMG]

17. tigereye

tigereye Member

Will NOT happen next season. The deadline for submission for any proposed changes to NBA Properties for league approval is in March. The Rockets did not submit for any changes.

And IF it were to happen, current Rockets logo would stay the same, only colors reverting back to glory days. NBA Properties has done this many times before with other teams recently. See team primary logos you referenced (Jazz, Bucks, Pistons, Nugs)

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

Its Oakland's new Bay Bridge Eat span but the secondary logo is the big hint. It literally says "SF"

Word is is Larry Ellison buys Dubs like is thought to happen, a new arena will be built as part of the ongoing Mission Bay development happening across China Basin from AT&T Park. The NHL's Sharks would also be lured into the deal.

SF Mayor Gavin Newsom joked about this the other day on the radio, saying that if South Bay were going to steal the A's and 49ers, SF would reply by stealing the Sharks and possibly the Quakes (latter will not happen as SJ has a deal already in place for Quakes)

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Goddamnit.

I thought this was going to have an ACTUAL LINK to news of this. ****.

20. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Tigereye is it true that all the NBA teams are getting new uniforms that are made from a specific material this season, and also have u heard anything about the Rockets changing the cut of the current uni's?