1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rocket's Contracts and Value Created

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Jul 23, 2017.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I'm always frustrated by the national media and common fans when they pontificate about what is a good contract and what is a bad contract. More so I was intrigued by a 538 article I stumbled upon from 2014 that tried quantify Melo's value compared to his contract. So I figured I would pull the numbers for the Rockets and see how much value the much ballyhooed Dareroll created this year.

As of today there is about 3.288 Billion in dollars given out to players around the league. With about 20 roster spots around the league still needing to be filled out. With some larger contracts still needing to be given out to Noel and Mirotic for example. So I made an educated guess on the total salary given out the players for this year. Then divided by the total amount of wins in the league and came to the rough estimate that each win is worth 2.75 million dollars in 2017

Espn's Real Plus Minus does the hard work of producing the wins created by each individual player. Here's what the Rockets did:

• Harden 15.54 wins. 42.75 million value created. 28.29 cap hit = 14.45 mil
    • Paul 13.48 wins. 37.07 million value created. 24.59 cap hit = 12.48 mil
    • Ariza 9.29 wins 25.54 million value created. 7.42 cap hit = 18.13 mil
    • Anderson 6.46 wins.17.76 million value created. 19.58 cap hit= -1.82 mil
    • Gordon 6.36 wins. 17.49 million value created. 12.94 cap hit = 4.55 mil
    • Tucker 5.98 wins. 16.45 million value created. 7.59 cap hit = 8.86 mil
    • Moute 4.43 wins 12.18 million value created. 1.47 cap hit= 10.71 mil
    • Nene 4.39 wins 12.07 million value created. 3.48 cap hit = 8.59 mil
    • Capela 2.82 wins. 7.76 million value created. 2.33 cap hit = 5.43 mil
    • Black 1.81 wins. 4.98 million value created. 3.29 cap hit= 1.69 mil
    Total Value Surplus: 83.07

Caveats: The wins created is heavily influenced by minutes played. So we should expect some regression by Tucker and Moute but their RPM could increase.

bilaal14 likes this.