1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[rockets.com] Training Camp: Day 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yaomania, Oct 7, 2005.

1. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Day 4

The rigors of Day 4 of the Houston Rockets’ 2005 training camp was blatantly seen on the Rockets, yet players still managed to lift weights and do more work in the weight room following a strenuous practice that lasted approximately three hours. While the extensive practice and effort afterwards are impressive and demonstrate the Rockets’ mindset, head coach Jeff Van Gundy realizes there is no such thing as being content. There’s always much more that can be achieved.

“You usually see incremental progress (through the camp),” Van Gundy said. “We did some 4-on-4, did some 5-on-5. We did a little bit more scrimmaging. It was just okay. There’s some soreness and fatigue issues going on right now that can have an impact on how you play. I think certainly you can do better and we will get better as time goes on.”

Rockets players stayed after to shoot free throws as they have during every day of camp. Many players went to the weight room to ride training bikes, lift weights, or work on core balance with strength and conditioning coach David Macha. On the fourth day of an exhausting week, players were starting to feel the intensity and grind of camp within their aching bodies.

“I hate camp. It’s the hardest thing on your body,” Rockets guard Jon Barry said. “I’ve been here a couple of months, working out, and I consider myself in pretty good shape. Then when you come out for camp and you go two-a-days for the first (few) days, your body just gets sore regardless of what kind of shape you’re in. We’re on a good track because we’ve got a lot of guys back and everybody understands what kind of offense we want to run and the way we play defense. We’re getting there. It’s a work in progress.”

For the most part, the Rockets coaching staff is pleased with the conditioning of the team. Both coaches and players agree that past team weaknesses such as quickness and precision have been improved on, but of course, could always use some fine-tuning. However, with their first preseason game a mere four days away, the team continues to strive for improvement.

Training camp- Day 4- Quotes

Jon Barry (on the three new additions to the team):
    “Stromile’s probably going to save me from a lot of turnovers because if you throw it anywhere near the rim, he’ll get it. He’s an unbelievable athlete. He runs the floor well and shoots the ball a lot better than I had ever seen over the years. He’s going to help us with shot-blocking. Derek’s a solid pro and really understands the game. He’s grasped our system already. He’s a lot better defender than I thought. He’s quick and he’s long, so he’ll be great. Rafer’s a guy who can really push the ball and handle it. They’re three guys that are good guys and we’re going to get our chemistry back to where we had it last year and they’re going to fit in great.”

Dion Glover (on comparing Van Gundy with his former head coach in San Antonio, Gregg Popovich):
    “They both want you to work hard and pay attention to details because that’s what wins ballgames. They want to maximize the best out of their players and that’s why they’re two of the greatest coaches in the game today.”

Jeff Van Gundy (on competition at the power forward spot between Stromile Swift and Juwan Howard):
    “We don’t look at it as competition between teammates. We look at it as doing what’s best for the team and that will work itself out as time goes on.”

Here's the link

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DA's a better defender than first expected? Nice. I wanted him to start over Wesley because of size and age issues, not to mention that his passing and athleticism compliments the rest of the newly athletic starting lineup perfectly. If we can keep Wesley fresh by coming making him come off the bench he'll be able to lock anyone down come playoff time.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Wow. I can't believe that Barry actually got me more excited than I already was. Two of the biggest question marks on our FA aquisitions are, "Can Stro's shoot it?" and "Is DA damaged goods?" If Stro is stroking it, and DA still has his quicks, then that goes a long way towards solidifying our major weaknesses. I still want to see this stuff for myself, but I'm getting hyped up like crazy. I should probably temper my excitment in order to avoid disappointment, but I can't help myself.

The...Season...Needs...To...Start...Now.

4. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

How bout preseason in T-minus about 4 days

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Okay, you've talked me into it. :)

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

Oh Ya 4 more days - Already got the DRV set.

Where is Clutch's report?

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Don't read too much into Barry's words. It's only training camp. But it's not a bad read from Rockets.com. I am so anxious for the first preseason game I can't believe it. My son bugs me every day for anything new involving the Rockets. Man O Man, if this team develops chemistry and gels, we can beat anyone on their floor or ours. Spurs, Pistons and Heat included.

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

You should probably set the DVR instead. ;)

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Just read anything Van "Debbie-Dower" Gundy has to say. :D All in good fun Jeffery

10. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Van Gundy is a great coach, but he's not an owner's dream in terms of the publicity he brings to the team. I bet Les wants Gundy to be a little more upbeat especially with the media.

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

We all joke about him being a pessimist but that is his way.

When you are a good coach you can get away with humbling the team, the fans, and the owner.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"We're talking about practice."

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one. For all of his on court energy, Jon Barry is a really accurate off court analyzer. Not to say the comments are completely void of hype...that's his nature...but IMHO there is very little hype in these statements. I feel they are genuine sentiments and if the chemistry comment is remotely close....look out world!

14. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

What channel, day, and time is it? Last I heard they were not getting televised.

Oh yea what does IMO mean? I have been posting here for a couple of months and never figured this out.

15. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

The first preseason game at Philly is going to be televised ...

Channel- Ch.51 KNWS (Channel 2 on the Time Warner Digital Cable Service)
    Supposedly it is also going to be on NBATV also but you never know about blackouts.

Day- Tuesday, October 11th
    Time- 6PM

IMO= In My Opinion

16. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I think he may have decided to stay in the lexas lounge for a few days and kick back

17. droxford

droxford Member

I have to laugh at this guy's name.

I the movie "Caveman" the word "Macha" was used to refer to a dinosaur.

This is a macha who ate a mar1juana bush and stumbled off a cliff:
    [​IMG]

And it's just fun to say...

.... Macha!