1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.Com] Rockets Assign Gerald Fitch to Austin Toros

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Mar 6, 2006.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Fitch_Assigned_to_Austin-170898-822.html

HOUSTON – Houston Rockets General Manager Carroll Dawson announced today that the team has assigned guard Gerald Fitch to the Austin Toros, the Rockets’ NBA Development League affiliate. Fitch, who was acquired by the Rockets in a trade with the Miami Heat for guard/forward Derek Anderson on 2/23/06, has been designated as an inactive in all six games since his arrival.

“We think this gives Gerald a good opportunity to get some valuable playing time and continue working on his game,” said Dawson. “The best way to evaluate a young player is to see him compete in game action and this move will allow us an opportunity to see him play against other young players.”

Fitch (6-3, Kentucky) averaged 4.7 points, 1.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 18 games (one start) with Miami during his rookie season. He was signed by the Heat as a free agent on Aug. 12, 2005, but was waived by Miami on Oct. 31. The Heat later re-signed Fitch on Nov. 18, as he saw his first action with Miami vs. Portland (11/23).

Not drafted into the NBA out of college, Fitch was signed by Washington as a free agent on Oct. 1, 2004, but was waived by the Wizards prior to the regular season on Oct. 30. He spent the majority of the 2004-05 season in Europe, splitting time between KK Cibona VIP Zagreb (Euroleague/Adriatic League) and Khimik-OPZ Yuzny (Ukraine Superleague). Fitch also appeared in two games with Washington at the 2004 Pepsi Pro Summer League in Orlando.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Better to have him there than rotting on the bench.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Now DD can give us reports from Austin on what we have with Fitch. Too bad Lampe can't be assigned.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

This may mean T-Mac or Wesley won't miss any time because if he did, they would have activated Fitch rather than Lampe since he is a guard.

5. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

is that the team John Lucas is on?

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

good idea so then we can get him back when he isbetter

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The NBDL is a joke. Nobody plays defense in the league. Don't be surprised if Fitch averages like 25 ppg if he gets PT.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

No, JL3 is on the Tulsa team. Austin team has Marcus Fizer, Julius Hodge, and Andre Emmett.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I guess that's about right. Austin has always been the splashdown for Houston.

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

I get a strange feeling we may say- a little, just a little of Lampe pretty soon.
    Not that he will make a big splash, I am intrigued by a 7 footer who can hit the outside shots.

The way our guards are shooting- anything seems like a good option!

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

does this free up a roster spot? i don't think so, but i'm not sure.

12. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

No, he remains on the roster.

13. waterflea

waterflea Member

Good addment to Austin Toros and that is all that the Rockets cut J Barry for.

14. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

GO TOROS!!!

I've been to two Toros games and I love them. The dancers are kind of crappy. My girlfriend wants to start her own dance troop to take the Toros dancer's spot. She's calling it the "Whoros".

15. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We will only see Lampe in blowouts and then JVG will have him playing the 5 and posting up in the paint. I'd be surprised if he gets off one 3 point bomb.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That was one of the most bizarre things, I've ever seen. Lampe's entire scouting report says that he's a perimeter shooter/SF type rather than a low post banger. You would think, they'd play him like Padgett and run a pick and pop. But they had him posting up, and was summarily ignored. It was incredibly weird.