1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets.com article on A. Griffin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gucci888, Oct 9, 2003.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Role Play
    by Trevor Mitchell, rockets.com

Mario Elie. Chucky Brown. Carl Herrera.
    What do these former Rockets have in common? None made an All-Star team, appeared on any magazine covers, or led his team in points, rebounds or assists, but each of these hard-working forwards played an instrumental role during Houston’s 1994 and 1995 championship seasons by adapting their games to the stars around them.

When the 2003-04 season gets underway at Toyota Center on October 30, Rockets fans may notice a similarity in Adrian Griffin, another solid role-playing veteran who spent the last two seasons with the Dallas Mavericks before signing a free agent contract with the Rockets on August 7.

Last year, Griffin started 48 games in the high-octane Mavericks offense, often serving as the fifth option. The 6-5, 230-pound guard/forward has career averages of 5.3 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.15 steals in four NBA seasons with Boston and Dallas.

After being one of only six players at Seton Hall University to score over 1,400 points and grab more than 800 rebounds, the All-Big East Second Team selection was not picked in the 1996 NBA Draft. Griffin opted instead to play for the Continental Basketball Association’s Connecticut Pride from 1996-99, and another year playing in Italy.

FRESH START
    Now that he has proven himself at the highest level and is coming off a Western Conference Finals appearance with the Mavericks, Griffin is looking forward to a fresh start with the Rockets.

“I’m very excited about this season,” Griffin said. “I think that this is a great opportunity here in Houston.”

When asked about why he chose Houston over any other NBA suitors, the Kansas native was very quick responding on why he wanted to wear the Rockets Red.

“It was just the organization itself,” Griffin said. “I like the history here, and the fact that the Rockets are headed on the right track.”

Griffin has become notorious around the league as a good defender, and Rockets Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy will no doubt employ Griffin when he needs a stopper to guard the wing.

“My game is to play hard and with some energy on defense,” said the 6-5 swingman. "On offense, I need to score when I have to, grab a rebound, and get some loose balls. I just need to do different things like that to help this team win. I know that I’m not a star player, but I’m a good role player. That’s something that I’ve accepted a long time ago. But hey, that is what pays the bills, so I don’t try to do anything out of character."

GOOD DECISION
    Griffin did not participate in Rockets training camp and will miss much of the preseason after undergoing successful arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in September. During training camp in Galveston the fifth-year veteran spent most of his time on the stationary bike, but he still got a good dose of what working under the intense Van Gundy will be like.

“Coach Van Gundy and his staff are very motivated and professional and focused on what they want,” said the Seton Hall graduate. “Sometimes players need discipline. In fact, I felt like I was at the stage in my career when I needed some discipline myself. I think things are going to be fine though. I’m looking forward to being a part of something really great here, and I think that I made a great decision coming here."

Griffin is so laid back that for the time being he says he is not concerned with how his minutes will play out with the Rockets. When he is completely healthy, however, he is determined to work hard and show what he can do.

“I'm going to just try to get in there and do the best I can,” Griffin said. “When a team wins, everyone is doing good. From the 15th player to the first player, everyone is doing their part when a team wins. So if this team is winning, I’ll be satisfied with whatever role they have for me. I’m not going to worry about minutes. Coach is a fair coach and he respects players that do what he asks of them. I’m just going to do that, play hard, and leave the rest up to him.”

SEEKING MINUTES
    The Rockets are fortunate to have someone with Griffin’s playoff experience and kind nature on their squad. In both games and practices, his presence is sure to pay dividends. With James Posey in Memphis and Glen Rice traded away, Griffin, Jim Jackson, Eric Piatkowski and Bostjan Nachbar will all get a look at the small forward position. Houston signed Griffin for a reason, surely not to spend all of his time on the bench.

“Adrian brings a defensive tenacity to the floor,” said Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. “He is a tireless worker and his hustle will provide a spark for our team. Our main focus during this offseason has been to add players that will be a good fit in our system and Adrian is just that.”

The signing of Griffin seems like a good fit for the Rockets. Van Gundy and the Rockets brass like Griffin, and the low-key veteran definitely wants to be here. Griffin moved to Houston last week, and it’s just a matter of time before his niche for the intangibles moves him into the Rockets rotation.

“I really like Houston,” Griffin said. "It’s a big city and it’s very diverse. I think that’s how a city should be. My buddies in Boston and people back home in Kansas are already wearing big leather jackets, and I’m here wearing shorts. You can’t beat that anywhere.”

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Role_Play-85942-34.html

Just wait until it's too hot to even where shorts in the summer time!!

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Both Griffs went to Seton Hall. Never knew that.

Thanks for posting the article. Good read. With the JJ aquisition, coupled with AG missing camp, it would appear that he might have trouble getting significant minutes when the season opens. Regardless, his defenisve pedigree will be nice to have coming off the bench.