1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Analysis of Team Roster Heading Intro Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Omer

Omer Member

Analyze This
    Damien Pierce
    Rockets.com Staff Writer
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rocketscom_reviews_the_teamr-189545-34.html

Rockets.com reviews the team's roster heading into training camp
    Rafer Alston should have more assists with a healthy Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming in the lineup.

HOUSTON -- During the past two months, I've received dozens of e-mails asking about the Rockets' starting lineup and depth chart in the new Rockets.com mailbag.

Well, being a nice guy, I've decided to breakdown the roster outside the confines of the mailbag. You can thank me later.

Here's how the roster looks (so far) with training camp around the corner:

POINT GUARD
    Probable Starter: Rafer Alston (12.1 points, 6.7 assists, 4.0 rebounds, 1.6 steals)

Backup: Bob Sura (Injured in 2005-06); John Lucas (13 games, 8.2 minutes, 2.3 points, 0.9 assists)

Quick Take: Alston will once again be running the show in Houston and he'll have his prime passing options back.

That could be bad news for the rest of the Southwest Division.

Along with having the ability to boost the Rockets in the scoring department, Alston should improve his numbers in the assists column with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady returning to the lineup. Alston had his best passing month of the 2005-06 season in February when the two stars were on the court, averaging 7.7 assists over that stretch. He has increased his assists every season that he has been in the league.

Sura, who missed the past season with a serious knee injury, is attempting a comeback, while Lucas is coming off an impressive summer. Lucas averaged 23 points and 7.6 assists in five summer-league games and showed he has a better grasp of Houston's offense than he did during his brief time with the team in 2005-06.

SHOOTING GUARD
    Probable Starter: Tracy McGrady (24.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.3 steals)

Backups: Luther Head (8.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 36.1 three-point percentage); Kirk Snyder (8.0 points, 2.4 rebounds, 45.3 field goal percentage); Vassilis Spanoulis (21 games, 15.5 points, 3.3 assists with Greek league power Panathanaikos Greens); Kelenna Azubuike (12.6 points, 50.8 field goal percentage with Fort Worth Flyers of NBA Developmental League)

Quick Take: McGrady, who is returning from a back injury, could end up starting at shooting guard or small forward after the team acquired Shane Battier this summer.

He'll probably do both.

The Rockets scoring machine won't be chasing other shooting guards for an entire game on the defensive end, but he'll certainly see minutes at shooting guard to get Battier and Juwan Howard on the floor.

No matter where he is, McGrady will once again be leading the offense. When healthy, he is one of the league's most dynamic scorers.

Could there possibly be anything more intriguing than T-Mac at this position? Actually, yes. The more intriguing aspect heading into camp is who will start in the spot when McGrady doesn't. Snyder was a part-time starter in New Orleans/Oklahoma City before being dealt to the Rockets this summer and Head is coming off a solid rookie season. Jeff Van Gundy will also get his first look at Vassilis Spanoulis, who had an impressive summer at the FIBA World Championships, in a Rockets uniform.

The trio will all get minutes. Head and Spanoulis can provide minutes at point guard, while Snyder should see time at small forward. Azubuike is battling for a roster spot.

SMALL FORWARD

Probable Starter: Shane Battier (10.1 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.14 steals, 39.4 three-point percentage)

Backups: Steve Novak (17.5 points, 50.5 three-point shooting at Marquette as a senior); Ryan Bowen (9.6 minutes, 1.3 points, 1.3 rebounds); Casey Jacobsen (5.9 points, 1.9 rebounds, 37 percent three-point percentage in NBA career)

Quick Take: Battier probably won't make fantasy leaguers drool over his scoring numbers as the Rockets' starting small forward, but the Rockets are confident he will help the team make a deep postseason run.

Who could blame them?

Battier will have an impact in every game, whether it's at small forward or power forward. He is one of the game's best defenders and he'll knock down open looks when teams pay too much attention to Yao Ming or McGrady. He is a 48.8 percent shooter from the field.

Besides McGrady, the Rockets' other options at small forward include rookie Steve Novak and Casey Jacobsen. The duo are expected to boost Houston's perimeter shooting. Bowen is returning after having off-season hip surgery.

POWER FORWARD
    Probable Starter: Juwan Howard (11.8 points, 6.7 rebounds, 80.6 free throw percentage)

Backups: Chuck Hayes (13.4 minutes, 3.7 points, 4.5 rebounds, 56.2 field goal percentage); Matt Haryasz (7.8 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.3 blocks in Rockets summer league)

Quick Take: Howard remains the starter at power forward, but he could end up sharing some minutes with Shane Battier.

However, don't underestimate Howard's role. He has a solid post game and will score between 10 and 12 points per game to go along with six or seven rebounds.

Behind him on the depth chart, Hayes has emerged as a high-energy reserve. He has improved his conditioning and could eventually become the team's sixth man as a guy who will scrap for loose balls and get on the offensive glass.

Haryasz, who had a good showing at the NBA's summer league, is pushing for a roster spot. He can also play center.

CENTER
    Probable Starter: Yao Ming (22.3 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.65 blocks, 51.9 field goal percentage)

Backups: Dikembe Mutombo (14.9 minutes, 2.6 points, 4.8 rebounds, .89 blocks)

Quick Take: Best center in the league?

Yao, who is back in the middle for the Rockets, could be on the verge of claiming that title from Shaquille O'Neal. Before breaking his left foot at the end of last season, Houston's big man was having a career season. He posted career best in points and rebounds per game and increased his minutes by avoiding foul trouble. With O'Neal nearing the end of his playing days, Yao could prove he is the best of the next generation of big men.

Yao has a reliable backup in Mutombo, one of the game's greatest shot blockers.

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Rah, Rah, all hail the party line!

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I know a lot of the GARM thinks that JVG will play Battier at the 4 but this coming from a Rockets insider that is privy to the Rox lineup planning tells me Juwan is the starting 4, TMac goes back to SG and Battier the 3 when the season starts.

4. Omer

Omer Member

How's T-Mac gonna start in the All-Star game if he plays SG this season? He will be competing with Kobe for the spot, and more people know about Kobe so he will probably get it.

One of the reasons why I want T-Mac to play SF. Along with the fact that a lineup of Battier, T-Mac, Yao, Alston, and whoever is pretty sick.

5. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Since when is this guy an "insider"? He gets hired to write puff pieces, that's all. Probably got the job because his dad knows somebody.

6. two-sandwiches

VAN GUNDIER, I was thinking the same thing....about JL3......

7. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Same way he started the last two years even though he was listed as a 2 in the ballots.

T-Mac, Kobe, KG, Duncan, Yao... they just take the top 2 guards and forwards, they don't discriminate when it comes to specific position.

8. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

LOL... At least JL3 delivered in Summer League. I have yet to seen any articles of any informative value from this Pierce guy.

Then again, that's probably his job to write BS with no informative value.. just filling up space on the website.

9. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

It's call the Yao's Chinese Homey Vote. Steve Francis made All Star starter because of it, too. As long as TMac produces, he'll get the Chinese Homey Vote and start over any other guard or forward.

10. Omer

Omer Member

Oh word, well I'm good then. :D

11. Laozi

Laozi Member

Most things with the line up will be decided in camp and preseason games, not what Damien Pierce writes

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Have we heard of this Pierce guy before? Or any "staff writer" on Rockets.com, for that matter?

Maybe there is something to it, maybe no?

In any case, I don't like Juwan remaining our primary option at PF.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Despite your handle, have you ever spoke to or even met JVG. As far as this guy Pierce being an insider, do you think this guy Pierce in writing this article for the Rockets web site would not at least ask an assistant coach what he thought the starting lineup would be. I'll take the crack back about whether you ever met JVG if you tell me you're his brother Stan. :)

14. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say this Pierce guy doesn't get to talk to assistant coaches.

15. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

16. FFz

FFz Member

I bet Stern will somehow make either T-mac or Kobe a foward on the ballet just so they could get more money. It make sense from a capitalist point of view.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is that why Francis made the All-Star team a year before Yao was drafted? This is a little too revisionist for me. At the time, Francis was one of the best guards in the league and very popular in his own right. He earned his selections to the ASG with Yao and before Yao.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nice Rockets-ganda, at least he's correct in associating Rafer Alston with "bad news"

19. lalala902102001

That PF combination of Juwon, Hayes, and Hairyass scares me.

20. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

Kobe would be perfect for the ballet, he's such a princess.