1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets coaches deserve more than lazy criticism from fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 4, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

You know what? McHale works hard at his job. So did Adelman. So did JVG. So did Rudy T. So did all their coaching staffs. Being an NBA coach is a very demanding job. A reason why JVG became addicted to diet coke and no sleep. And this is factual.

So I reach out to Rockets fans. Can you at least put even half, quarter, 10%... even 1% of effort into your criticism of coaches?

I'm not suggesting anyone on the Rockets should be above reproach. If someone deserves valid criticism, then we should speak up as fans. Make our voices heard. But... come on. At least do some thinking first.

Take a recent topic, "Terrence Jones should play over Morris because he played so well in the preseason." See, this is a perfect example of lazy criticism. Morris had an injury, so of course he didn't really play. Also, in fans own words, preseason means nothing. So the argument is senseless at best, and just flat out wrong at worst.

So please, put some thoughts into criticisms. You may not like McHale. But senseless hate only prevent actual, important aspects of the teams from being discussed. Otherwise, it would just be like an election, where real issues are covered up by worthless "issues" that don't actually matter.

1 person likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am borderline neutral on Mchale right now (given the players we have and their youth) but I believe I will be on negative side as the season progresses. The main reason being that the offense will be stagnant and one-dimensional under him. A healthy dose of pick and role and Harden ISO *yawn*

What compounds the case for him is that he replaced Adelman who was a genius when it comes to team offense.

3. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

play the rookies.. mainly Machado and T.Jones

and you wont hear a peep out of me

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Every fan forum for every team is the same. People always going to complain and criticize, fair or not.

5. conquistador#11

what can he do? maybe run ppat and delfino 5 miles for every crazy three pointer attempted:p

I have no problem with Mctalky. he is a very stubborn man, like all coaches tend to be. What I don't like is that he understands what needs to be done, like rolling out more bodies, yet nothing gets done about it. it's only been 3 games though.

If I am a friend of coach, I'd put his cell number on block so he won't call me at 3 am complaining.=)

I want him to be successful.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How do we determine what amount of 'effort' went into criticism? Should we rely on Meh to keep us all up to his standards?

1 person likes this.
  7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Personally I started laughing so hard when you said McHale works hard at his job, that I missed the gist of what you were trying to say.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

can you tell me what coach in the history of all your favorite teams that you haven't criticize...name each sport...pro and amateur

If you want my answer to your question, then qualify it by telling us if you just simply ALWAYS criticize ALL coaches at ALL levels.

or stfu

And I will just say you succor on coaches sucking, because you don't know any better than a suckling baby.

9. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Seriously. Because we disagree we are being "lazy".

To be fair, a lot of coaches make the same mistake that McHale is making in not giving rookies a chance. But when the whole team is gassed on a back to back and you have promising rookies just waiting to pop off the bench and provide energy for a developing team, it does make you wonder what is going on in McHale's head.

10. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

couldn't agree more...

and I would like to suggest something perhaps even better than thinking before criticizing....

One should gather a few kids in neighborhood and arrange for them to play with kids from another neighborhood, him being their coach...my God what a revelation that would be...:):):) this visceral experience would make them smarter and would freed them from frustration they bring on themselves by immersing into non-constructive criticism which you beautifully described in a beautiful metaphor as lazy!

11. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

I think what McHale lacks as an Xs and Os coach he more than makes up for in being a "player's coach." He has the team's trust and on a young team that's huge. I'd almost rather have that kind of coach at this point in our team's development than a player that can draw up the perfect plays/rotations.

Way too often we see young teams just give up and a lot of that falls on the coach. I don't see this team giving up on McHale's watch.

12. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

I haven't been following the Rockets long, but I had thought that McHale clashed with his players- like Lowry?

13. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

I think Lowry (and to some extent Martin) felt a sense of entitlement as the "stars" and therefore had problems with McHale's attempt to change things. I hope McHale doesn't stand for any of that stuff with this team. That's one of the reasons I think Popovich is a great coach, no special treatment, everyone gets their asses chewed out equally.

Also, a player should never go to the public and advocate for a coaches firing. That's a very low-class and selfish move. So basically I blame Lowry.

[​IMG]

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I don't think it works that way. McHale can be a players coach/leader of men all he wants, if the offense continues to struggle, players will start losing faith in McHale. That's just the way it goes.

15. nono

nono Member

McHale is just working with what he's got. At the moment, he ain't got a lot. That Trail Blazers team with Batum and Aldridge is just a more well rounded team than us at the moment. Despite this, we still would have won if not for dumb mistakes and missed layups.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

"We just need to work harder, try harder, and play harder." *Clap*Clap*Clap*
    [​IMG]
    Rockets players deserve more than lazy "coaching" from the head coach.

:p

#16 J.R., Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

McHale sucks.

1 person likes this.
  18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

As I have argued many times, McHale and his staff have done a super human job of integrating all the new pieces into what looks like a cohesive team. If you want to see what happens when a bad coaching staff integrates new talent, just take a look at the Lakers this year.

As for the "Play the Rookies" complainers I should remind you that your like was out in force over MM last year. And you probably will look just as foolish as they do this time next year.

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

McHale's bad coaching in last night's game is so obvious that I won't need to go to the library before criticizing him, but it was only one game so I'll give him a little more time.

But if he can't play with the hand that he's dealt, maybe there's someone out there that can do a better job?

20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

so......who draws up the plays for the rockets after a timeout? McHale?

most of the time, they look horrible anyways

plz, plz, plz let Finch turn out to be a good coach. :(:(