1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are shopping Lee?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AvgJoe, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-will-the-magic-trade-howard

Near the bottom...

2. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Umm... again with this Hoopsworld crap. This does not need its own thread. Post this in any of the other 3 threads that are discussing the trade deadline

4. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

5. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Lee + '09ers for Dwight, #wordapp

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

In other news,

The Rockets have shopped every player on their roster to see what potential trades are out there.

Wait....that's not news.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i really hope we move Martin so that Lee can have a real chance to show what he can do with good minutes. That will only increase his value going forward.

if we move lee and keep martin, we will have taken a step back as far as i'm concerned. Lee is way cheaper, and a better fit for what McHale is doing. Martin is the one who has to go.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think you're right.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Soooo True!

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lee has better value trade wise than Martin. Lee is also a free agent and will command starters money so you either trade him of sign him to MLE type money ($7 million) and he has to be your starter. Now the question is, wouldn't you rather pay a Star player some of that money rather than Lee?

11. Htown's2kFinest

Great trade our best defensive wing player...

Morey should go not Lee.

12. Aruba77

mad respect for you bro, but you are oversimplifying it. Lee is a Restricted free agent. We have another full year of cheap play from him unless someone signs him to an offersheet this offeseason. I don't see anyone overpaying for him, and we will be flush with cap room to match a fair offer. The odds are that we have him for another year on the cheap.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I honestly think Hoopsworld has an agenda of repeatedly "reporting" how certain players (specifically, Kevin Martin and Courtney Lee) want out of Houston. That way, when one of them is (likely) traded/not brought back, they can say, "SEE, I TOLD YOU SO!"

My personal preference would be to use Martin to trade for a star, retain Lee, and for Morey to use the same RFA playbook with Lee that he used with Lowry in 2010.

But if Lee's value is high enough to bring back a piece (present or future) that can help this franchise in the long-term more than Lee, then it is lunacy not to explore that vigorously.

14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I'd rather package Martin with some fillers for Granger ... would be very nice:

PG: Lowry
    SG: Lee
    SF: Granger
    PF: ???
    C: ???

15. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with shopping assets around with the intent of trading up. 99.9 times out of 100, you wont get Derrick Rose for Kyle Lowry straight up, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It's called doing your homework. They're simply trying to find a trading partner desperate or dumb enough to say 'yes'.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That would be my preference as well. I just think it will be tough to get something back in a trade using Martin. His trade value has to be at an all-time low.

17. seyton

seyton Member

Agreed, but the only reason we would explore trading Lee is if we can't trade Martin, which is possible.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Rockets payroll at the moment heading into next season is 40 mil, if we move either Martin or Scola (hopefully both) and use the amnesty on the other and then decline Dalembert's team option..28.5 mil comes off payroll and we go into this summer with about a 12 mil payroll which is about 43 mil we could spend.

I don't expect Lee to get more than a 5 mil per year offer sheet.
    We can easily afford to match that and re-sign Dragic and still have 33 mil to spend on a superstar (17 mil) and then 2-3 very good role players (16 mil) around a team of Lowry, Dragic, Lee, Parsons, Bud, Morris, Patterson, Donatas and Smith plus the upcoming draft pick or picks.

19. Aruba77

I guess i'm just surprised we can't trade Martin. GMs know what this guy is. Everyone says his value is down (like Carmelo), but guys like that, with a long trackrecord of being really good, don't really see their value plumit super low, right? We should at least be able to get a 1st rounder for him.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking Carl Landry + Tracy McGrady? Maybe we can even give away a Jordan Hill?

(Edit: Fascinating that the Knicks future pick may end up being the most valuable piece from a trade including a 20 ppg scorer, multi-time all star, recently drafted top 10 pick, and a highly effective power forward)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.