1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rockets are primed for a play-off spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jonesiii, Aug 23, 2000.

1. jonesiii

jonesiii Member

IMHO all this fuzz about lacking a real PF or the need to further "strengthen" the frount court is a load of BS. Houston did beat Portland with a 3 guard rotation last year.

We don't need Maurice for all his stalling tactics (clearly looking only for the $).
    Brad Miller would be nice but we don't really need him.

I think it is just a matter of shuffling the available PFs and Centers around e.g. get Cato to play PF and Pig (is he signed yet?)to
    play center when Dream rests.

Besides, the backcourt is Houston's trump card with such talent and depth. All Rudy requires from Francis' team is consistency.

Houston has proven it can beat the best.If they are consistent this year, then despite the logjam of contenders for the 8 play-off spots, they will make IT!

------------------

2. Timing

Timing Member

Um... err.. uhhh... are you serious?

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

3. treeman

treeman Member

I dunno man, I saw an awful lot of uncontested offensive rebs and putbacks last year - and it wasn't done by anyone wearing pinstripes.

The need for a big man is real. We don't really need a high scoring big man; you are correct, our backcourt does that just fine. But we do VERY MUCH need someone who will rebound, block, intimidate, and generally defend in the paint. Consistently. I'm 100% positive about that.

But I do think we have a reasonable chance at making the playoffs next year. But without a big man defending I'd expect an early first round exit. Add a big man, and maybe we'll get a little further...
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by treeman (edited August 23, 2000).]

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We will make the playoffs. Besides the bad streak in the beginning of last year, we could have had a chance last year.

------------------

5. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Defensive big man? I think the Rockets may have two of those this year. Cato and Dream.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

6. treeman

treeman Member

Guess I should've added the word 'consistent' in there somewhere. We need a CONSISTENT defensive big man.

Oh, wait, I did say consistent. Never mind.

Cato and Hakeem definitely did NOT get the job done last season. At least not on the defensive end. Odd, because we all know that Hakeem is an excellent defender/intimidator, and Cato showed such promise in that department in preseason...

------------------

[This message has been edited by treeman (edited August 23, 2000).]