1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are league-best 6-4 when shooting below 30% on 3s

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Feb 26, 2018.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

B-but their offense is gimmicky! Its different than what Charles Barkley played with and therefore wrong!

Rockets FTW likes this.
  2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that sounded like a good challenge. i wondered if the spurs had done it back in the day since they were so great at defense and poor shooters so i went and checked basketball-reference. apparently back in the day was last year, because they went 10-4 (minimum 15 3PA) if i checked it correctly. 12-7 the year before. since it happened on the 2nd year of the 1st team i checked, it didn't end up being much of a fun search for stats. it might not be that uncommon for good defensive teams. especially in earlier years when the whole league was poor at shooting 3's (might have to go lower than 30%).

pgabriel, BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it is key in the modern NBA to be able to do that and still win - because against a team like GS you will need to depend on much more than 3 point shooting to beat them.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm worried about PJ and Luc missing all those open corner 3's. Having PJ in the starting lineup has been wonderful. If he can't hit those shots, D'Antoni might trade his awesome defense for somebody else's offense.

5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea seems like Luc is missing more shots than tucker now. Even open shots. Hopefully he starts hitting them again.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's definitely a concern. From the time Harden returned up to the Toronto loss, Tucker was the team's most efficient three-point shooter, which is crazy. He shot almost 44% from three during the 17-game win streak. Is that sustainable? He's shooting just 30.8% from deep in the last four.

Then again, in the last four, Chris Paul is 30%, Harden is 29.6%, Luc is 28.6%, Ariza is 21.7% and Joe Johnson is 14.3%. Eric Gordon has been bailing a lot of people out.

pgabriel, Will, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Good thing we still have Ryan Anderson.

If Tucker is too much of a liability on offense, the Rockets always have the option of defaulting back to their original starting PF.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Once Ryno gets back we will be good.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have noticed this as well. Is it because teams are trying to play better perimeter defense against the Rockets and force the drive?

Seems that we're still winning games though so if we sacrificed threes for layups - not so bad.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Tucker is significantly better in the corner than above the break taking 3s.

For the year:
    42.9% from left corner with 84 attempts
    37.9% from right corner with 66 attempts
    29.3% from above the break with 82 attempts

In the last 4 games:
    3 of 7 for 42.9% from the left corner (ironic match)
    1 of 4 for 25% from the right corner
    0 for 2 for 0.0% from above the break

I wish he would just camp in the left corner at an even higher frequency. It’s clear he is great from there.

For reference sakes his splits last year:
    40.5% from left corner
    37.7% from right corner
    23.8% from above the break

Get To That Left Corner Tucker!!!

HakeemOnlyFan and Deuce like this.
  11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Guys are just missing wide open 3s. I think is just a culmination of a long azz season and tired legs. Our players just need some days off to reset themselves.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

just means we bout to catch fire for that championship run

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That last paragraph is my only real concern with our squad and it’s veen one for years now. They always seem to catch a shooting slump at the same time.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"All Rockets do is shoot 3's."
    "What are the Rockets gonna do in the playoffs when they have to slow their pace down?"
    "Rockets don't play defense."

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Looks like after the Wolves game our percentage of shot attempts that are 3's had fallen to 49.99%. It sank a little more after the Blazers game (36/79).

BigMaloe and pgabriel like this.
  16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

We're actually a pretty average 3-pt shooting team in terms of percentage. The main reason we have so few games at such a low percentage is the sheer volume we shoot lowers our deviation from the mean. I bet we don't have that many nights (relatively speaking) above 40%, either.

... And no, I don't say any of this to bash our team -- that volume and consequent consistency is part of what makes us so unstoppable.

17. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

They finished regular season 9-6 when shooting 30% or less for what it's worth. Just won a playoff game shooting 10 for 37 (3 for 25 for everyone not named Harden).