1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams that Josh Smith finds appealling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

At the end of the day you know it's going to come down to Morey's advance analytics and I don't see Smith as a type of guy that fits that system. As good as he is and the stats he puts up, they aren't efficient in the slightest form.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think you are selling his offense a bit short - he is a decent passer and very athletic. He can overpower or trick his way around a lot of players, he is just missing something like a hook shot. But he still gets you several hustle points, offensive rebounds and self created shots. Add to that his great help defense that would make our paint the no go area for opposing guards and letting Lin, Harden and Parsons play a lot tighter defense since they know, they have a lot if help down low. Him alone could improve our defense by 5 points a night, while his hustle points and offensive rebounds get us 5 points more per night.

If you combine his defensive and his offensive impact, he is a real difference maker, especially for a team like ours that likes to run and gamble on D.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

not what we need

even short term, this would be a bad addition

4. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yes please...

5. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

He's the only PF available in the postseason where his name and defense belong in the same positive sentence.

6. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'd hate to sound negative but Josh Smith is not the answer. He is not a superstar, he's 28 years old, relies too much on his athleticism, poor shot selection. He's like a prime andrei kirilenko, he's a 5x5 guy. Smith can get you five points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks, 5 steals, but he's no superstar.

Do not want. Especially for superstar type money. I can totally see this board hating Smith and wanting him and morey gone after only a couple of games.

Just be patient, no need to make a trade, just to make a trade. We already got Harden, the rest will fall into place.

8. thekad

thekad Member

Shane Battier was a "Morey player" despite having no offensive skills to speak of. Josh Smith, like Battier was, is one of the best defensive players in the league and I'm sure whatever analysis Morey's team is using bears those results out. The question is whether we have enough offensive firepower to contend with Smith stinking up one side of the floor.

I don't think we do, so a Smith signing would need another move coming with it preferably replacing Lin with someone who can make relieve Harden from having to do everything for us offensively.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Considering the spelling of the thread title - maybe he actually finds the Rockets "appalling"? :eek:

10. Air Bullard

Air Bullard Member

I'd rather Al Horford to be honest.

11. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I have many mixed feelings/emotions about this.

But if we can somehow get him without losing Harden, Lin, Asik, Parsons, D-Mo, Greg Smith, and Beverley, I'm so in to wish for Smith!

Mr. D

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

No thank you.

13. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Gortat 7m and Mislap 8m i would prefer

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Definite No to Josh Smith.

Guy relies solely on his athleticism to make plays. He's 27, which means he has maybe 2-3 years left of high flying athleticism till he becomes a liability. Paul Millsap is the perfect fit for this team.

15. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I understand everyone but Beverley? WTF?

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I have no problem with Josh Smith As long as we don't give him the max

17. dragonz

dragonz Member

Well, if you consider to be one of the better destinations in the NBA is a ****, then its time to eat it for breakfast and lunch, because that ain't going away as long as Harden keeps performing.

18. izeroi

izeroi Member

He'll go to Dallas. Morey isn't going to over pay this guy but Cuban will once he realizes cp3 and howard aren't heading their way.

19. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Is he a knockdown post player?
    When the going gets tough, does he deliver?
    Does he lead verbally?
    Is he a heady player?
    Does he have a high motor?
    Would he attract other free agents?
    Do his teams go deep in the playoffs?

20. me005

me005 Member

Good move by coach to sit Harden, Lin, and Douglas. Beverley is providing the much needed energy. :)