1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets All Time 3-point Champions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 4, 2004.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THREE-POINTERS MADE
    Rank Player Three-Pointers Made
    1. Vernon Maxwell 730
    2. Cuttino Mobley 672
    3. Matt Bullard 557
    4. Kenny Smith 521
    5. Steve Francis 466
    6. Clyde Drexler 363
    7. Mario Elie 352
    8. Eric Floyd 312
    9. Robert Horry 284
    10. Matt Maloney 281

Will T-Mac dethrone Vernon?
    Does a JVG offense not allow us to launch at will?
    What are your favorite Rocket 3-point barrages?

My favorite game was the Kenny Smith (game 1 Orlando 95) 9 three pointer performance.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

I doubt that T-Mac will average the same amount of 3PA that he did with Orlando. But if he does, he will need only 5 or 6 seasons to pass up MadMax.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Tmac
    YEAR TEAM 3PM-A
    _02-03 ORL 173-448
    _03-04 ORL 174-513

If Tmac is going to top 730 treys, it will take him about
    about a little over 4 seasons with the Rockets cause he's averaging 173 per season.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I agree with that one... but I thought it was 7.

5. codell

But hes not going to average the same amount of shot attempts that he did in Orlando.

I would venture to guess that JVG is not going to be too thrilled with him jacking up 7 3s a game like he has the last few seasons.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

I guess that's what was missing from JVG that Rudy had. I remember countless game winning 3pointers from the Rudy coached teams.

I don't really remember many game winning 3pointers in the Steve/Cuttino era.

7. codell

JVG is basically running and inside outside offense, so I am not sure why you insinuate that 3 pt shooting is not a part of his offensive philosophy.

I think he would rather have T-Mac playing more of an inside/mid-range game than he has the last few seasons, and leave more of the open 3 pt shots to the guys who specialize in that, like Pike, whoever our PG is going to be and JJ (maybe Boki if he can ever get his stroke down).

8. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

All-time Rockets leader in 3-pt attempts:

Charles Barkley

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Just because there wasn't many game winning 3s doesn't mean the 3-ball isn't part of JVG's gameplan. Both Cat and JJ had career highs in 3's made with over 160 each. And as a team, Houston was top five in 3's made and 3P%.

That being said, unless we can get a PG with 3pt range, I see the Rox going to more of a two man midrange game between Yao and TMac. Lots of Pick n Rolls, and attacking the rim with cuts and penetration.

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Didn't we sweep Orlando in 4 games? :)

Pugs

11. PhiSlammaJamma

What did we do to Utah in that one playoff game. That was awesome. 3's were reigning down from everywhere.

12. Cesar^Geronimo

I think he will average that many 3's

To have someone that dangerous on the perimeter with Yao in the middle will be awesome.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Anyone remember that game against the Clippers where David Wood kept hitting 3pointers to keep us in the game?

I also enjoyed the Mario Elie Kiss of Death.

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think he meant, "I though it was 7 three-pointers"

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yes we did. He was refering to the number of threes kenny smith made. My favorite three from that series at least had to be by Hakeem. I can't remember which game though. We had the game won pretty much and Drexler passed him the ball on the perimeter, Hakeem being so open just shot up the three and drained it. He looked back toward Drexler and just shrugged his shoulders. It really showed Hakeem really could do anything he wanted to do, unlike Shaq who still can't shoot outside of 6 feet. Second would be Kenny Smith draining the three to send a game into overtime after Nick "the brick" Anderson missed four consecutive free-throws.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

game 1, 1995. best basketball game i've ever seen. showed what was possible. that's when it all came together. i don't know that i've ever seen such a flawless game from a team in any sport before or since, in my lifetime.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

(April 29, 1995) The Rockets turned the Delta Center into a bomb shelter for Game 2 of the First Round of the 1995 NBA Playoffs. Houston hit an NBA playoff-record 19 three-pointers to destroy Utah 140-126 and even up the series. Kenny Smith finished the game with seven three-pointers, one short of the NBA playoff record. The Rockets finished the night 19-of-28 from way downtown and set NBA playoff marks for three-pointers in one half (11) and in a quarter (seven).

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahhhh...it was game 2...my memory on that failed me.

i remember where i was watching this game. i remember sitting in awe. i remember bill walton saying is was the most perfectly executed game he had ever seen...he said that a year after the game was played when comparing it to a Bulls playoff game.

i remember it gave me hope for the rockets that season.

19. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

However....

Didn't Seattle went 20/27 on 3s in Game 2 against the Rox in the Conference Semis in '96?

I think it was back when the 3 point line was a bit closer.

20. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I vote the BULL, cause thats about all he was good for.. oh he did try to dunk a few times and the rim b****ED him:)