1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets #1 in Offense (by far) since benching Melo (27th prior)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 15, 2018.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

We shoot the most 3s in the league and allow the 4th lowest fast break points per game (11 pts/game).

I'm not seeing the correlation.

D-rock, BigMaloe, bobloblaw and 4 others like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

We're 9-8 since Melo lol. Plus almost every game we won Harden's numbers were insane

Conclusion: Harden's playing better. Eric Gordon is still sucking & the Rockets could use Melo's scoring off the bench

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

#bringbackmelo #staymelo

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

[edit] We went up in the rankings from #5 to #4. We were a 114 v Grizz tonight.

7 games were played in the NBA tonight. Only one Away Team outscored the Rockets, and no one else was within 9 of our 114 ORtg.

I don't think you appreciate how all teams score less Away than at Home.

#44 heypartner, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. heypartner

I don't know ... maybe ask OKC.

The theory that 3&D players check out on defense because they are told to spot up in the corner or at the break is just a silly theory, which attempts to blame everything on a offense the fans don't like. PnR, ISO and JVG's Big Man offense, which spreads the arc with 3&D spot-up shooters, gives them a breather, for christ-sakes, and clear timing for early release in transition D, and they're more unlikely to lose their man vs motion that causes switches and mismatches.

I'm not making this up, like this theory that pros will shirk their responsibilities out of contempt is.

Many coaches throughout history explain the benefits of Ball-Control offenses when it comes to helping their defense stay fresh and have the ability to retreat in transition in a more coordinated fashion.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets just need a couple rotation pieces, preferably at the 3 and 4 and ideally a back up point guard. That isn’t an unreasonable request for Morey if he is willing to move a draft pick or two and willing to take on a guy with an extra year on his deal when he moves Chriss.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

yea you are absolutely right and they need to strong defensive guys imo. We wont be able to trade Knight if Mike never lets him play for more than 3 minutes. He has to be able to at least show he can play somewhat.

8. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

9. heypartner

You do know 115 is an overall NBA Record ORtg, right?

Combined with our 122 home ORtg, what you're saying is we need to shatter the NBA ORtg record.

Our 112 Road ORtg -- 4th in the league -- isn't garbage, and it matches GSW's best Away ORtg over last 5 years. And as expected, we went up in the rankings after the Grizz game. Tonight was a 114 ORtg.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

2019 pick stapled together with knight for kcp.

2021 and 2023 picks will be traded?

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I get what you're saying... but here would be my take...

I'd expect PnR/Iso to be better for the defensive end than the 3ball - shorter rebounds closer to the baseline would result in less fast break opportunities than longer rebounds... I asked earlier about the correlation between the 3 ball and longer rebounds being detrimental to the defensive end...

I agree that a motion offense may leave your guys out of position for an early release - but you can still move the ball around and get guys handling the ball without making them slashers.... I think just working the ball around the perimeter is beneficial to keeping guys in the flow and engaged imo...

If you're providing an opportunity for a breather for your guys on offense - you're also providing an opportunity for the other team to get a breather on defense - that works both ways.... and then you got 4 guys coming back down court rested and ready to attack (excluding the 1 defender on the iso)....

As far as guys wanting to be involved on offense... sure you get some guys that revel in their defense - there will always be the Bowens and the Rodmans who dont care to be involved on the offensive end... but imo most guys want to at least be involved. You cant deny the bounce in GG's step after knockin down a shot or two. House was obviously feeling good about being involved and had more spring in his step the other night. Even PJ looked pumped after knockin down a couple 3's against the Lakers. I'm not saying guys are gonna be all butthurt if they dont get shot attempts and therefor not work the defensive end - but you cant deny how much more pumped they look when they do get the ability to be involved and score....

smp likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

It is really a coincidence, because it took 17 games for Cp3 and Capela to get back in shape. I still think Melo needs to comeback surely he will play better than Gordon has so far.

kjayp likes this.
  13. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Impressive considering it includes the poor play of Eric Gordon as well as Paul who before the Memphis game was shooting 35/29/80 in his previous 7 games, and at least the FG% went down after whatever he shot in the Memphis game.

BasketMAD, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If only Eric Gordon was good still

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Morey has that kind of analytics.

The increase of 3pt attempts might be why blow outs and/or big in game lead swings have increased. (I don't really have the numbers. I'd appreciate if somebody can find them.) When you are hitting your 3s, you win big. When you are missing, you lose big.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Can you pull numbers comparing rebounds to defense last year vs this year?

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Which rebounding and defensive nuumbers?

Rebounds per game? Defensive rebounds?

Points allowed per 100 possessions? Something else?

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

and that's with CP3 and Gordon slumping hard

Our defense has been mediocre as well and if we can just get a really starter level 3&D wing to replace EG, we'd be dandy

19. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can admit it, it is 80% Harden.

It was not 100% intentional but Morey hoped the team would be better without Melo on the bench.

Let's just say, it worked but not as well as he would have hoped overall recordwise.