1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. I'm sure you're going to need to make the same banal point over and over and over again because apparently you don't have anything better to do.

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. I wish people would stop acting like it's a big deal. So far we've had the Attorney General recuse himself, the National Security Advisor resign in shame, multiple congressional investigations, an official FBI investigation and the appointment of a special counsel.

Wake me up when something relevant happens. Right now this is all fake news.

TheRealist137, Indaface and Rashmon like this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have a hand written note that I wrote.

It says O.J. is guilty

I don't like Trump. I would like this government to start functioning

Trump's housing issues aside I have never heard him say anything negative about blacks

His housing issues were part of a larger government mandate to integrate NYC

#43 pgabriel, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  4. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

" It was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president’s improper efforts to influence a continuing investigation. An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/...ey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html?_r=0

Yung-T likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The media calling Comey's handwritten personal memos is ridiculous

A paper trail to WHAT

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are as credible as their testimony because essentially that's what they are. Unfortunately one person's word against another person's word isn't really enough to get you anywhere.....and that's the point.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a paper trail of Comey covering up what he allegedly believed was inappropriate actions by the president in order to use it as leverage against the president. Unfortunately that's not really sufficient to cause all that much more than a media circus unless there's some solid evidence out there.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump did NOT appoint anything he found out 30 minutes before it was announced.

DD

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The testimony and memo (notes) of Comey alone I agree probably don't constitute as obstruction and even Comey might agree as he might say that he felt that it didn't impread the investigation.

It's the circumstance of him then being fired days later that I think the grand jury would consider the deciding factor if it is in fact ruled as obstruction.

Then you have the Lester Holt interview where he says in his own words that Russia was key in his decision to fire Comey.

I'm still not saying personally that I think he's guilty of obstruction but I am saying that the circumstances around Comeys testimony that are mostly Trumps own doing won't help his case.

The more important news to the overall investigation is the subpoenas handed out the other day to get financial and other records of Manafort and of course Flynn. It's not as provocative but if you know anything about these type of web entanglement cases what gets people answers is the money trail. It's impossible to say with a straight face now though that this isn't a serious real investigation no matter how many times FoxNews and Trumps prop team try to make everyone believe the case is closed or go look over there the Leaks etc.

We got at least a year though where this is gonna go quiet(er) so I'm willing to say let's wait for the facts to come out of this because I think we finally have a credible investigation that both sides should welcome and we can stop the nonsense.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

What does the fact that the memo has to do with the President have to do with whether FBI notes are considered credible information? It seems you literally don't know anything about the law and are just making stuff up as you go. For some bizarre reason, you're opposed to actually investigating this and have decided since you think nothing happened, then nothing could have happened - prior to an actual investigation.

justtxyank, Yung-T and pgabriel like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

A paper trail in an ongoing investigation is not a coverup, despite what you're reading on your favorite conspiracy theory blogs. Like your fellow GOPers in Congress, this thing has really sent you completely gone off the deep end trying to figure out how to defend Trump while pretending you hate him.

It's funny that you demand incontrovertible proof before even considering that Russia or Trump may have done something wrong (but trash the idea of actually investigating), but have no problem endlessly accusing Hillary of being a criminal about Benghazi or emails despite investigations and no criminal wrongdoing, or accusing Comey of a crime, again with no evidence. You are terrible at trying to pretend not to be a Trump-loving uneducated troll.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's what I think and are a few points I haven't seen any refutations, or confirmations, of that a special prosecutor will hopefully put to bed:
    • Michael Flynn was a champion of Donald Trump throughout his campaign. He led "Lock her up!" Chants at the Republican National Convention and claimed he'd be in jail had he committed a fraction of Hillary Clinton's supposed offenses. As reported by the New York Times tonight, Trump and his transition team knew the Flynn was a paid agent working on behalf of the Turkish and Russian governments, yet still appointed him to the most important intelligence position: National Security Advisor. Why did they do this?
    • Michael Flynn was reportedly fired by President Trump only after he supposedly lied to Vice President Pence about the nature of his phone conversations with Russian ambassador Kisylyak. These conversations were held while President Obama was in office and were supposedly about removing sanctions on Russia. The removal of these sanctions is one of Russia's key foreign policy objectives. Why was a paid Russian agent, still not officially NSC, discussing sanction removal with the Russian ambassador? Why did the president only fire him for lying about this conversation to the Vice President after it was reported in the press?
    • Why did candidate Trump employ, as his campaign chairman, Paul Manafort who was an undisclosed Russian agent? Why was the only substantive change to the GOP platform requested by the Trump campaign, while Manafort was still employed, about Russian interests in Ukraine?
    • McClatchey reported tonight that Flynn's recommend course of action in Raqqa was likely colored by his undisclosed status as a paid Turkish operative. Could the NSC have allowed his policy recommendations to be shaped by this?
    Nobody thinks we're going to see a video of President Trump accepting a briefcase full of cash from Vladimir Putin. What concerns us is that US interests may have been corrupted by people surrounding Trump who were being paid to look out for the interests of Russia and Turkey. We have a president that threatens our commitment to NATO and tacitly endorses anti-EU candidates in elections. Both of those bodies are seen as checks against Russian interests. What explains President Trump's consistent flattery of Vladimir Putin? Is it the people around him, agents or otherwise, or is it something else? Hopefully this investigation will figure it out.

mdrowe00 and Yung-T like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, that's on you for not listening, TBH. Most black people I know, and white people with any sympathetic bones in their pasty bodies, are horrified by Trump's stances on race many times over. The appointment of Sessions, alone, is an incredible sin against any person of color.

Let me put it to you this way: the KKK doesn't celebrate a candidate lightly. I hope you can hear that. I'm not a hair-on-fire liberal. Far from. And I'm no social justice warrior. I just can detect backwards when it stares me in the face.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By saying he was fired "days later" you of course mean "months later", you do realize that right? The notes were from February and he wasn't fired till May...

I say it was "covered up" because the conversation allegedly happened in February and he never did anything about it.....still hasn't. If he seriously thought that Trump was attempting to obstruct justice, he should have gone public or threatened to resign over the scandal. Instead he never did anything about it at all aside from write a note about it so that he could hold it over the president's head later like some kind of bootleg version of J Edgar Hoover.

As to you comparing this to Hillary's mishandling of classified information, the difference is that there was more hard evidence available. With the email scandal, you actually had her emails and they contained classified information. There's no such "smoking gun". What similar evidence could you possibly hope to uncover with the Russia investigation or the Comey firing?

Like I've said all along, I'm no fan of Trump so if some solid evidence of....basically anything showed up then I'd be on board with the lynch mob that has been out to get him since day one but I've been trying to tell you kids that if you keep hyping up BS then people will get to a point where they don't care anymore even if you do find something. That's EXACTLY what happened with Bill Clinton and you guys are setting Trump on the same path. I'm simply trying to tell you guys to dial it back a bit so you don't look like a fool when you hype up every single "scandal of the day" that doesn't have any legs.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They aren't FBI notes

They're Comey's notes

The bizarre reason is I know this guy isn't a Russian double agent

Who is Comey to be the end all be all?

Edit: the notes are a cya issue, not the investigation

#56 pgabriel, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro

I have been listening to Trump in the tabloids my entire life

From owning a USFL team to stupid reality shows

The narrative that he is racist only started during this campaign. Duke says he likes Trump so that makes him racist?

I can think for myself

B-Bob likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What do you think think about the Duke endorsement

Oh you didn't answer fast enough you must be a racist

That's actually what happened in regards to David Duke

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Just like the media said all these women were gonna accuse him of rape

But Hilary got bad press

Whatever

Where are the rape victims?

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The government wants to continue this, fine
    That's not my issue

My issue is people acting like some big smoking gun has been found every time one of these so called stories break

This is literally a he said he said