1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Horry says Hakeem was the Total Package

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This is an excerpt from the Dallas Morning News:

ON THE SPOT

We like to corner someone from time to time and pose an uncomfortable question because....

Well, because that's what we do.

The target this week is San Antonio's Robert Horry. The forward has played Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaq, and Tim Duncan. Our question was simple.

Who was the best?

"Hakeem is No. 1 to me because he had the total package," Horry said. "He got better as his career went on. Most players get better in years one through five then sort of level off." He got better in years eight, nine, 10, and beyond.

"He had everything. Jump hooks. Fadeaways. Crossovers. He could shoot a three if he wanted to, and he played great defense.
    I would have to go with Shaq at No. 2 only for the reason I haven't played with Tim D. long enough. Shaq is so dominant in the post. He's so big. The year he won MVP, he showed he can play defense and offense. He's started to pick up his defense this year because he's healthy.

"Dream and Tim D. always play defense. It's depending on how Shaq feels that day as to whether he's going to play D.

"Timmy has a lot of skills. But if you're going to start with a straight-out center, you have to go with Shaq ahead of him because I don't think Tim D. is really a center. He's a four first and then a center second."

Still to this day, Horry says Hakeem is the MAN! Brings back memories....

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I like the way he pointed out Hakeem's progression in years 8 9 and 10. That right there should prove that the Rockets should not give up on Steve just yet. Francis is starting to turn the corner, and is now just scratching the surface on what the team and JVG are trying to get accomplished. I mean look what Sam Cassell is doing after 10 years in the league.

BTW Hakeem was not only the greatest on the court, he was also the most graceful basketball player in the History of the NBA. I would say that's an excellent combination.

sorry for the edit Dream. :)

#2 Roc Paint, Mar 14, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hakeem also had the ability of making other players MUCH better.

Look at Horry's stats in the years he played in Houston, copared to his other years in the leauge... much better all around.

Hakeem also single-handedly gave/elevated careers to Matt Bullard, Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith, Mario Elie, and Sam Cassell.

Those guys all benefited from playing with Dream, and they'll be the first ones to tell you so.

Now that the Rockets have a good foundation, look for them to add solid role-players (like JJ this year) in the years to come... they don't need more superstars, or even big scorers... they just need guys who can either rebound, hit long-distance shots, or do a good combination of both.

4. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Shaq can't play defense. And people make a perception that he's a good defender simply because nobody really challenge him and dare to challenge him, but he has no D. There are players that scared of challenging him inside because all Shaq does is hurt people with the way he foul them. I remembered he broke Bobby Jackson's finger when Bobby try to do a layup last year or 2 years ago. Shaq doesn't know what he's doing when he's playing defense, did u see him whacking Yao's head and Yao still made that dunk?? That's what I am talking about, he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to fouling people and could really hurt them...it is that type of plays that players are scared of challenging him, not because he's a good defender but because he could hurt people. And most of the time refs give him the benefit of the doubt in a lot of contact that Shaq initiate

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

He is only pointing out the obvious. :)

6. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Great. So all we need to do is have Francis discover and dedicate his life to Islam and maybe we will see the same type of improvement from Francis late in his career that we saw from Dream. If not that, then something else that will create the kind of discipline Francis has lacked in the early part of his career.

7. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

how true. hakeem had discipline before, but dedication to his faith put him on a different plane altogether.

8. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Plane....do I? Don't I?.....Let's be sensitive and move on haha....C'mon we all know that Hakeem was by far the greatest Center in recent history because he had a great combintion of speed, power, and charisma. End of Story.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Intimidation = defense. Do you deny that? I sure as hell don't. If I stop you from coming in on me, no matter how I've done it, I've defended you.

10. birat

birat Member

I feel the same way too..

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I'm not worried about Francis' dedication. We all know he is a gym rat. If he is on the same page with JVG and they work together to improve Steve's game, we will continue to see improvement.

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I thought the same thing when i read the thread title. He is pointing out something any NBA fan has known for years but is still nice to read.

13. rvpals

rvpals Member

I agreed with you. Just the defensive presence of guys like Yao, Ben Wallace and Shaq make people think twice before going in, even if they go in they're looking over their shoulder and worry about getting block before they even attempt the shot.

In terms being aware of what's going on on the court and move and do the right thing, as well as defensive position, the technical aspect of defending. Michael Jordan is the best even in his 40s, in one game T Mac tries to go one on one against MJ, before TMac can move his feet to his preferred spot, MJ steps right into the spot and TMac can never get a good step up to drive to the hoop.

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Fair Assesment. Hakeem was my Fave player of all time. the Dream shake was a thing of beauty. Players that good with that size j ust done come along very often.. until now that Yao has arrived:D

15. notafaker

notafaker Member

i admit Shaq is more dominate because of the time hes playing. When Dream was playing he had to worry about Robinson, Ewing, Jabbar, Daurenty, Lambeer, Parrish and a young Shaq. In Shaq career its mostly filled with ageing players and a young Yao. So thats why he seems better but hes not.h

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

that is something i have felt for a LONG time. shaq is great but he is able to shine a lot brighter in this era that lacks great big men.

17. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Talk about re-writing history, since when did Dream have a crossover & how many 3's have he made in his career? I loved Dream's game and I do think he was one of the very best (top 3 for sure) but come on, let's not exaggerate.

Someone mentioned that Dream made his teammates better, that is not true. What Dream did do is make his teammates looked good. Those are 2 different things.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While it wasn't Iversonesque by a longshot, Hakeem had a move near the top of the key where he dribbled the ball in one hand while his man defended him. He didn't cross the ball from one hand to the other, but sort of swung/dribbled it with one hand from one side to the other. He would fake a drive sometimes using this move and get his defender off balance. A that point he would either go into his spin move or pass off if the defender closed, or just pop a 16-17 foot jumpshot over the defender if he didn't react. I'm guessing that's what they're talking about.

I don't know what they're smoking to think the man shot 3's. He rarely took them. The one in the Finals to end the game against the Magic comes to mind. Maybe in practice he could hit them. :)

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is an interesting statement. Could you elaborate. I don't know if I agree or disagree until I can understand it, but I think I know where you're coming from.