1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Risking the draft for the big ticket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil'ManSlick, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Lil'ManSlick

Lil'ManSlick Member

How about Rudy T. and the Rockets take a risk for a change. For example, 1998 we passed up on Rashard Lewis with the 14th, 16th, and 18th pick becuase we thought he was to much of a risk and now none of our picks from then are on the team and some of us our willing to give up our whole draft for him. The Timberwolves took a risk in drafting Kevin Garnett and the Fakers with Kobe and now look at their impact. Sure it takes high school type of players a good 1 to 2 years to season and develop but it pays of especially in this draft. This draft is deeper in role players than many of the past, but problem is that besides Stevie and Cat this team is already loaded with good role players. So why not move up into the top 5 and take our chances by drafting one of these highschool phenoms at the PF- C position. I would rather have one youngster that has all the potential in the world but still is maturing than three college rookie roll players all at once. I think that Eddie Curry and Kwame Brown fit the bill not only becuase of Eddie's ability and his post skills and Kwame's smoothness on the court and his raw potential, but also cuase they already have developed NBA type bodies to bang with the Shaqs and Duncans of the L. So how about this trade if one of them two are still available at the 4th pick:
    Chicago gets: 13th, 18th, and 23rd overall picks and Kelvin Cato
    Houston gets: 4th overall pick(hopefully Eddie Curry), Ron Artest ( a cheaper more of a scoring type of Shandon Anderson) and their 2nd round pick ( where the contract is not guaranteed, and maybe we could give Alton Ford a chance)
    That trade sounds reasonable to me.

So what do you guys think.

------------------
    It's not what you drive. It's what drives you.

2. Toast

Toast Member

Easier said than done. I'd say just about every team in the league would like to move into the top 4 draft spots if they had the opportunity.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

3. Colby

Colby Member

As I look through my Rocket goggles....that looks like a good trade.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

That looks like a pretty good deal, but I'd want to pull back the 23rd pick and try for someone like Kirk Haston, the kid from Indiana.

With the second round pick, we could probably grab Terrance Morris.

Seems like 3 #1 picks for the #4 pick when the Top Ten probably are pretty interchangeable is a high price.

Complete that idea as an exchange of Artest plus Round Two pick for Cato.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

5. Hydra

Hydra Member

As a good rule of thumb, if you would not do something, then a GM will definately not do it. I would not trade the number 4, 29, and Artest for Cato and three mid to late first rounders. Would you?

------------------
    Liberals favor using artificial means to alter the normal to a state which facilitates and justifies how irresponsible they want to be

6. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

If I had a lameass roster like Chicago's, I would give it strong cosideration. The four pick is especially valuable if the guy you really want falls to that slot. If they see it happening that way, they will and should keep the pick.

What if Curry, Brown, and Griffin go 1-2-3. Will Battier help them that much more than having say Cato, Loren Woods, Omar Cook, and S Hunter (or comparable players-- you pick)?

But it seems that this draft could go a number of ways because of the lack of clarity about who will be good. It's going to depend on who is picking where. The order of the drafting will affect the order of the draftees if you get my drift.

However, the Bulls are a couple of years away from getting back into the playoffs and could more seriously use an infusiion of talent than the Rockets need. Thus the trade boils down to a 4 (Cato,1,1,1) for 2 (1 and Artest) and 1/2 (2) trade. The second round pick being the half because of a lack of guaranteed contract etc.

Personally I hope the Rockets keep at least 2 picks and I'd be happy to keep all 3. We only have 5-6 guys under contract and only want maybe 9 back from last year's roster.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited June 15, 2001).]

7. Brad

Brad Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have a second round pick this year.

------------------

8. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

I think Rich was suggesting we would pick up a second round pick from Chicago as part of the deal, and could use it.

No, we do not have a second round pick right now.

------------------

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I have to agree. If we were moving up to draft a franchise type player then I would do it. However, we are simply looking for a starter at number 4, 5 or 7. I would stick with the three picks and build a deep bench. We can then use the players as trade bait in the middle of the year to get a disgruntled star. There is at least one every year. I know some people say we would not have the money to sign Webber if we keep all three picks. I am starting to think we would be better off keeping our free agents. Can you imagine what type of chemistry we will have in a couple of years when our core players have had a few years to play with each other?

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Chicago owes us two 2nds or one 1st rounder from the Drew trade. We gave up our secound round pick this year to Dallas in the Langhi trade.

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

[This message has been edited by bigboymumu (edited June 15, 2001).]

11. Lil'ManSlick

Lil'ManSlick Member

about the roster
    we should definatly set our priorities on resigning Moochie and Hakeem (something like 2 year 10.5 mil)
    signing Webber or and combo of Mo Tay and Marc Jackson( center if Hakeem doesn't agree to smaller contract) or a Nazr Mohamaud (at pf)
    Draftin Eddie or Kwame(4th) and whatever diamond in the rough Rudy T can find in the 2nd round.

Point Guard: Stevie Franchise, Mooch
    Shooting Guard: Cat, Artest
    Small Forward: Wiz or Artest, Langhi, Bull
    Big Men: Webber, Hakeem, Kwame or Eddie, Collier, Thomas, veteran signee or 2nd Rd. pick.
    ( or )

Webber, Kwame or Eddie, Marc Jackson, Thomas, Collier, vet or 2nd rd.
    ( or )
    Mo Tay, Hakeem or Jackson, Eddie or Kwame, Thomas, Collier, reserve bigman

I think thay can hang and bang with the other front courts of the Western Conference.

Peace out playboy,

------------------
    It's not what you drive. It's what drives you.

12. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Pine is right. I was using the second round pick that was conveyed in the original trade proposal. I pulled back our #23 pick so as not to over-pay.

------------------

13. KLON

KLON Member

It'd be great if any of the teams drafting from #5 - #7 even consider taking all 3 of our 1st round draft picks in exchange for their one pick. If i was Chicago (at #4), i sure as heck wouldnt trade my 4th pick (a potential Kwame Brown, or Battier, or Curry, or Griffin) for three later 1st round picks.

Each year in the draft (except maybe last year's), there is probably on average 4-5 players that actually develope into anything more than a moderate role player. And they seem to always have been drafted in the top ten with the few exceptions like the Mike Finleys and the Sprewells that fall dramatically. Take a look at the past drafts on NBADRAFT.NET to see yourself.

We hear about how deep this draft is, but outside of the top ten picks, chances are the rest of the players are just another Collier or Bryce Drew.

Think of it this way... in 1998, we also had three first round picks. In that draft, the top ten picks included players such as Nowitzki, V. Carter, A. Jamison, Bibby,and Pierce. Why the heck would anyone take Turckan, Dickson, Bryce Drew (3 players we took with our 3 draft picks) for a chance at a star like Nowitzki, Carter, Jamison, or bibby.

------------------

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with KLON.The Bulls might end up with a future superstar with the 4th pick.They could also package their 4th pick with either Fizer or Brad Miller to get veteran experience which might help them to get free agents to sign with them.

------------------

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The reason the Rockets will not draft a high school player is the want someone who can come in next year and help them get into the playoffs. They don't want to draft a guy in the top 5 and then have to wait 3 years before he is able to help out at the NBA level. Also, don't first round picks have three year contracts? By the time they blossom they are free agents and get paid the big bucks(T-Mac).

------------------

16. KLON

KLON Member

So...who's going to come in right now and contribute from the draft? We saw what great things Collier as a rookie did last year, we sure wont have to worry about him walking out on us in 3 years like what T-Mac did.

I think basically everyone in the NBA draft now will be a 2-3 year development project. Since we're gonna be stuck with projects, i'd rather be stuck with One project with high potentials then 3 projects with lower potentials.

------------------