1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Stuart Scott

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Jan 4, 2015.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The news this morning really hit me pretty hard. Even though I knew that he was pretty sick, I guess I always figured that he would end up being cancer-free in the end.

As one of those kids who fell asleep with Sportscenter on at night and then woke up and turned Sportscenter on in the morning, Scott's was one of the most important voices of my childhood.

As I grew older, I will admit that Scott was not always my favorite Sportscenter anchor or studio host, but that never changed the way I felt about his importance as a figure in my formative years as a sports fan.

Like another poster mentioned earlier in this thread, I've recently noticed how pervasive this disease is. Sure, I've always been aware of it, and I've lost loved ones to the disease, but lately, it has felt like the disease is just all around you. And that sucks.

1 person likes this.
  2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You took all the words from my mind. Everything you wrote is exactly how I feel and how I felt this morning.
    From my loving Stu's quips on SC during my teenage years to my not caring so much for his schtick as I got older(so uncool was my thought process) but all in all I enjoyed and respected the dude.

May he RIP

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

He'd been dealing with it for a while though. I think even some of the times we saw him on SCenter or on MNF etc, he probably had some really tough days and nights yet still showed up to work at ESPN.

I find that it's not that people keep it a secret because they think it's embarrassing but because they don't want others to make a big deal out of it and they want to try to keep living as normal a life as they possibly can. The late Bryan Burwell for example.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He made some of the corniest lines work. Not for anyone else but for him they just worked because you could tell his enthusiasm was real. He was real.

I knew he battled cancer but thought he was in remission because I don't really watch sports generated media outside of the NBA or the UFC so I didn't realize until yesterday or today that he passed.

RIP Stuart. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

RIP

Way too young

Lot of cancer victims out there, young and old. I knew a guy passed his mid 30's from brain cancer, 3 young boys at home.

Feel for them all, famous or otherwise.

49 is way too young... But Stu truly lived his philosophy (see Espy speech), and had a solid, meaningful life.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

RIP Stuart Scott, he is going to be missed. :(

7. Asian Sensation

Couldn't have wrote it better myself. Exactyly my thoughts. Not gonna lie... I she a tear.. Especially when Hannah Storm first reported it.

Loving all the Stuart Scott commercials they're playing on Espn.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

Pretty much the same for me as well. Did not dig some of the skepticism he had of Yao but it's also hard to imagine SportsCenter and NBA Friday without his voice.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

ESPN Sportscenter, to me, was like SNL. Every time they'd bring new folks in, I'd think they were hacks and it would take me a while before I'd give them props for being good at their job.

It took me a while to begin liking Rich & Stuart (at the time, the gold standard had been set with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann), but you are still ok with it. I still watched it religiously, along with Stump the Shwab, which also had his "handbump" catchphrase.

I've been following his cancer fight, especially due to my father currently fighting it. Both are amazing at how they are handling it, and I respect Stuart immensely for how he showcased this battle. (still amazed that folks here had no idea. He's been documenting it for at least the past two years.)

The one video that got to me though was this one by Hannah Storm. Her raw emotions simply reading a small obit of him show how truly he was loved by everyone around him.

#70 Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
  10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

RIP

So sad.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Took the words right out of my month. Still can't believe he's gone.

RIP Stu.

12. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

It typically doesn't bother me when someone in the media or some movie star passes away but this one was different. The guy battled cancer three times and he never quit! During his 3rd battle he was fighting cancer but it didn't stop him from training crossfit and MMA. I watched him sparring and he had some pretty decent stand up. I also saw a pic of him hitting a very high flying knee. Most American's can learn from a guy like him. He was very sick yet he trained hard and took care of his body. We have all these American's who are fine health wise but would rather eat fast food and drink while destroying themselves.

So much respect and admiration for him.