1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Roy Halladay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dave2000, Nov 7, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They might be toast regardless. 3rd crash this year despite only 20 something planes. 1 crash was human error, but didn't see an explanation for the other, and of course this investigation has just begun. Reading up it, really seems like the way the plane is marketed might be part of the problem as pilots are being too risky with them.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He apparently really loved that plane. I would think this would be pilot error. That plane had accidents before with fatalities but those were pilot error as well (one flying into the wrong canyon than intended with no exit point and unable to turn around in time where two people died; the other one was a hard landing with injuries only).

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

This was the first plane to go to the public 001 out of 100.

His wife really didn't want him flying. Sometimes we have to trust a woman's intuition.

RIP Halladay.

6. Buck Turgidson

*posted earlier in wrong thread*

#26 Buck Turgidson, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

1) Planes have a lower accident rate than cars per miles million miles. The number of cars on the road have nothing to do with it.
    2) Chances are the pilots are better at flying than you are at driving. Those airline pilots are professionals while you aren't.

The reason that small airplanes crash more often is because they are being flown by amateur pilots who make mistakes or inspections aren't as thorough.

8. Buck Turgidson

So sad for his family and friends.

What I have gathered from people who know: He had no business flying that particular plane. He had no business flying it like he did. Whoever checked him out on it has some questions to answer, but the liability is with the pilot for a guy with his number of hours.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

low impact crash. guy couldve probably been saved.

10. Buck Turgidson

I love how the first thing these ****tards think of...not calling 911...it's pointing their stupid phone at their stupid face and taking a video.

Oh...and once the do get there, nobody gets in the water, they just sit there and say "Holy ****" over and over.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don’t want to derail this thread.

But, the number of cars on the road absolutely have something to do with it.

I’d wager that most automobile accidents happen due to environmental and human factors. In particular, automobile accidents take place because of the faults of multiple vehicles quite often. It’s not only person vs machine and person vs environment, but person vs person as well.

Hence the number of cars has a lot to do with it, because simply increasing the number of cars out there exposes you to more random chance and the probability of an accident is higher.

With airplanes, it’s just a matter of person vs environment and person vs machine. There are very few plane accidents that involve multiple planes. Mainly because there just aren’t that many planes.

As for your other point, that’s debatable. We start driving at the age of 16. The number of hours I’ve put in driving is probably more than the average pilot has put in flying. I guess it depends on how you define being “better.” So, maybe not. But, even if they are a better pilot than I am a driver, it doesn’t matter. From a personal comfort level, at least I feel like (probably wrongly) I’m mostly in control of my own fate while driving my vehicle.

Your last paragraph I agree with.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In fairness, I'd say there was a 0% chance he was alive by the time they got there, as it would have taken several minutes to travel that far. The other boats already there might have had someone jump in, I don't think we get a full story from this little video.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well the way Halladay was flying he was looking to kill himself.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are we sure he was reckless? Can we rule out heart attack or seizure? Plane had a parachute so we can rule out mechanical failure.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That plane looks awesome though. If you are a bit adventures you can't get any better than a plane that you can haul on your truck, then takeoff/land on the water. The downside of that is that you are tempted to be reckless and make risky maneuvers.

16. Buck Turgidson

You're right, I just have a visceral hatred for social media and phonewhores.

justtxyank, davidio840 and DudeWah like this.
  17. BleedsRocketRed

I am sure the plane crashed with the G-force of 30+ times his body weight. Dude was dead on impact. 911 wasn't going to save him.

18. BleedsRocketRed

These are the kind of planes we call "doctor killers" in the aviation industry. These ultra high performance planes get bought up by rich people with minimal training and experience flying them thinking they are hot **** top gun pilots. Moony's, Bonanza's, Cirrus'....etc. These planes are too advanced, and high performance with a low tolerance performance envelope. If you aren't mentally ahead of the airplane, you will always be in trouble, especially in these situations where you are pushing the safety envelope to the negligence area.

As somebody who as multiple pilots licenses from private, instrument, commercial, instructor to my ATP (I flew turbo props) I am sure Roy pretty much killed himself by being reckless with a machine he was never fully experienced to fly.

BigM and DudeWah like this.
  19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I heard that the one of the developers and test pilots of the plane crashed and died... seems like it's not just amateur pilots being risky even though I'm sure that's part of it.