1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP John McCain (1936-2018)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaBeard, Aug 25, 2018.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

very sad news

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

God bless him and his family.

I'll never forget when dad and I could still talk about politics. When Obama won in '08, dad, a veteran, angrily told me, "McCain is a better man! Always will be!" I replied then what I still feel, (carefully phrased), "I don't disagree with that, Dad. I deeply respect John McCain, more than I could ever respect most politicians."

Even when McCain was inconsistent, I never doubted that the dude loved his country and did more for it, sacrificed more for his fellow citizens, than I'll ever be able to. So my hat is off for him and my heart is very heavy for him, and for his family, and for his state.

4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

This is horrible.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More than anything, he seemed very genuine which made him something like a unicorn among politicians.

A life well lived.

ChrisP and B-Bob like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

I had a chance to bump him as he passed by me on the way into the lobby of the Rittenhouse hotel in Philadelphia. I let him go past unabridged. He was on way in. I was on my way out. And that's all I've got to say about that. Sad.

tinman likes this.
  7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

RIP to this man.

Maybe didn't agree with him on some things, but this was a true American and a man to be celebrated and mourned properly.

Astrodome, MONON, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In John McCain's own words he wanted to be remembered as "He served his country, and not always right -- made a lot of mistakes, made a lot of errors -- but served his country, and, I hope we could add, honorably."
    To me this was one of his finest moments and a memory of what politics could and should be.

God Speed Senator, Lieutenant, Patriot John McCain..

10. AXG

AXG Member

Very sad... R.I.P.

11. MONON

MONON Member

We have lost a great person & senator! My condolences go out to his family, friends & our country. He stood up for his fellow man. He was the last of the true "across - the - isle" politicians. Both parties are sad. I'm a Republican & my wife's a Democrat. We didn't always agree with him; but we always respected him!

R.I.P John McCain!!!

B-Bob likes this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sad news. I rarely agreed with his politics but respected him as a public servant who recognized that his responsibility to this country trumped his rights to be blindly partisan.

ChrisP, DudeWah, tinman and 1 other person like this.
  13. BleedsRocketRed

Very honorable man who did serve his country well. I didn't agree with him on all fronts, but I sure did respect him as a politician and more so as a true american. They sure don't make them like that anymore.

RIP Senator.

MONON likes this.
  14. jsingles

jsingles Member

Little doubt Death had to call in backup when it was time to take McCain.

Two Sandwiches and B-Bob like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RIP

He did what he could to advance American society.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

RIP. Its amazing his mom is still alive. It must suck for a parent to bury their child, but he had a long successful life.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Even though I didn't always agree with him, he was a citizen's politician and an American hero. Essentially, he's the essential all-american guy.

RIP

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

He conducted politics the right way. Far and few between do that.... RIP.

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Didn’t agree with most of his politics but he was and honorable man and a true American hero. Plus you gotta love the final **** you to the orange one by asking Obama to give a eulogy and specifically saying he doesn’t want trump there. He invited every other living president. That has to make the petulant trump so pissed. It’s great.

peleincubus likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

As it should be. Trump is a genuinely awful person. Mocking his time as a POW.

As you just stated about McCain. I do not agree with a lot of Mike Pence's opinions on social issues. I hope though he is president soon. At least he is a decent human being and should be able to do a comparable job as Trump. Without being a corrupt, lying a**hole.