1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Dr. Red Duke

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Boz, Aug 25, 2015.

1. The Boz

The Boz Member

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston medical icon has died. On Tuesday, we learned that trauma surgeon Dr. James "Red" Duke passed away at the age of 86.

Dr. Duke was instrumental in starting up the Life Flight program in the 1970s, which has become the premier air ambulance service in the country.

Trauma surgeon Dr. James "Red" Duke has been in the public spotlight for decades. The 86-year-old died Tuesday.

While at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Dr. Duke was on call after President John F. Kennedy was shot. He also took care of Texas Gov. John Connally, who was shot at the same time.

Duke was given the nickname "Red" from his childhood curly locks. His trademark looks - his bristly mustache, wire-rimmed glasses -- were part of his persona, as was his country twang.

Duke was born in Ennis, Texas, in 1928. His family moved to Hillsboro, where he went to high school before attending Texas A&M, graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree.

He also earned a divinity degree at the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, before reconsidering his career choice and earning his medical degree at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.

He joined the faculty of the 2-year-old University of Texas Medical School at Houston in 1972.

In a statement, Dr. Richard Andrassy, surgery department chairman at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, said Duke died Tuesday at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston of natural causes.

"He was with family at Memorial Hermann. He was not in pain. He will be missed very much by all of us at UT Medical School and Memorial Hermann," Andrassy said.

From the family of Dr. James Henry "Red" Duke, Jr.:

"It is with great sorrow that we announce the passing of Dr. James Henry "Red" Duke, Jr.

To countless colleagues, friends and patients, he was a skilled physician, innovative healthcare provider, exceptional communicator and dedicated conservationist.

We, however, mourn him as a caring father, grandfather and devoted brother who will be deeply missed by his family."

In lieu of customary remembrances, the family requests that memorial contributions be directed to the James H. "Red" Duke, Jr. MD Endowed Scholarship Fund, UTHealth Office of Development, P.O. Box 1321, Houston, TX 77251-1321 or to the Memorial Hermann Life Flight Fund c/o Memorial Hermann Foundation, 929 Gessner, Suite 2650, Houston, TX 77024.

http://abc13.com/news/iconic-houston-surgeon-dr-james-red-duke-passes-away/957048/

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Wow... RIP

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I had a friend IM me he had died. I remember watching him when I was a kid. The father of Life Flight. This is a sad day.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The guy was just a G.

Looked like an absolute Texan and represented the great state very well in the medical field.

RIP!

5. Buck Turgidson

Channel 13 news was the best.

RIP to a Texas Legend.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Absolute legend.

RIP

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow

Great Houstonian

R.I.P.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Damn, my heart sunk a little when I heard. RIP Dr. Red

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Watched him on TV from since I was a kid. He also spoke at my wife's nursing school graduation. He's been an active and positive influence in Houston for a long time.
    RIP

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

My mother worked in that area of the Hospital and got to know Red very well over time. He had his own apartment there and many nights he slept there in case he was needed for any emergency. Great man. Our loss.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you were to imagine what a Texas doctor would be like it was Dr.Red Duke. True Texan and a master of his craft.

RIP

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Am I the only one that thought he died like five years ago?

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

When we walked into the hospital early in the morning on the day my first daughter was born, he was first person we saw in the hallway. He told us good morning and good luck since it was obvious why we were there. I was in awe and comforted by that. RIP, Dr. Red Duke.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Had the pleasure of meeting him when my wife was his patient great guy.

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

My oldest son just started Kindergarten at Dr. Red Duke Elementary in Pearland. My son's been talking about going to "Dr. Red Duke" all summer. R.I.P. His spirit lives on in us and in our children.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I met him when my grandmother was dying from acute kidney failure. He was gracious and comforting and became one of my personal heroes. Today he has taken his rightful place amongst God's angels.

17. Nook

Nook Member

He is up there in the clouds arguing with Marvin Zindler I bet.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He was always entertaining when I saw him on TV
    Never met him but everyone seems to speak highly of him
    not only of his expertise but his personality

RIP DR Red Duke.

Rocket River