1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Sean Marks Is Lifting the Nets Out of the Abyss

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TheMystery008 and ROXonROXonROX like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah, that Nets-Celtics trade might actually be the worst trade in NBA history.
    And that photo encapsulates it all. Washed up Garnett, washed up Pierce and washed up Deron Williams.
    What in the world was going through management's heads, sending away draft picks for the next 5-6 years.

Williamson and da_juice like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If Marks actually had the Nets picks to work with, they'd have a really bright future... I think he's a really good GM.
    Even without the Nets picks he's doing well.

All that said... it's kind of fundamental how to fix this problem moves. Use cap space to collect assets as much as possible. Use assets that won't be assets for you down the road to collect assets that will. Wait it out.

4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

What a time to be alive. Brooklyn is only the second-worst run organization in the city of New York

5. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

however i believe all the players must hate it... It is the rest stop to being out of the league....

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sean Dr34ms, LCAhmed, Zboy and 11 others like this.
  7. mingthething

mingthething Member

Merge with the Jeremy Lin thread?

8. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

The nets have been in the abyss since before I started watching ball in the 80s. To say they would exit the abyss is akin to changing the storybook fantasy that is the NBA.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

More like: Sean Marks putting Nets in contention for 14th pick.

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The problem is when Marks is close to winning The Process, his ******* owner will impatiently fire him and go for some version of Colangelo III who will then take all credit for the rebuild.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think what they thought is this: They were in arguably the most desirable market in the world. Their team would be loaded and they'd win 60 games a year. They had a billionaire's billionaire for an owner and as guys like Garnett and Pierce retired, they'd have other stars lined up to play there.

Only Deron sucked. KG sucked. Pierce kind of sucked. Brook Lopez couldn't rebound or really do anything but score (and scoring wasn't what they needed on that team) and really only Joe Johnson played up to expectations. So now being in NY doesn't matter. They're over the cap so they can't sign free agents. No star players are demanding to be traded there. None want to go there as free agents no matter how much cap room they have. And they have no draft picks.

I see their thinking - but you're right. It was one of the worst trades in history. It was a HUGE gamble and they lost big.

[​IMG]
    Man, this cover is so funny now.

Yaosthirdleg, Vivi and napalm06 like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

i can see that perspective. my perspective at the time was that the owner didn't plan on keeping the team long. I thought he bought the team, wanted to cash in every asset possible for a 5 year run, then sell the team and focus on russian politics or whatever.

I'm surprised that he still has the team honestly