1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Rockets ownership has debated Morey’s employment status and whether to replace him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/...-kong-china-houston-rockets-tweet-controversy

I.D.I.O.T.

#1 lnchan, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

What’s the NBA’s position here?
    The league has yet to release an official statement, but a spokesperson indicated one would be issued in short order. In the interim, it’s safe to assume the league is not pleased that one of its most popular franchises in China has gotten into a messy public dispute with one of its biggest business partners. The potential political and financial fallout here is massive. One league source called it “not a small thing” while another declared it “an epic screwup.”

Where does all this leave Morey?
    On thin ice. Morey is an incredibly bright guy, but after asking around it’s clear that he did not anticipate that his tweet would spark an international incident. From what I was told, Morey has friends in Hong Kong and was concerned with their safety, in light of the Chinese government’s ongoing attempts to restrict freedom of speech and assembly in their fight with Hong Kong over the extradition bill. Morey did what he thought was right, but his actions had significant unintended consequences.

Where does all this leave Morey?
    On thin ice. Morey is an incredibly bright guy, but after asking around it’s clear that he did not anticipate that his tweet would spark an international incident. From what I was told, Morey has friends in Hong Kong and was concerned with their safety, in light of the Chinese government’s ongoing attempts to restrict freedom of speech and assembly in their fight with Hong Kong over the extradition bill. Morey did what he thought was right, but his actions had significant unintended consequences.

Fertitta told ESPN that he has “the best general manager in the league” and that “everything is fine with Daryl and me.” But the Rockets owner also admitted that the organization has gotten “a huge backlash” as a result of Morey’s tweet. League sources told me that Rockets ownership has “absolutely discussed” whether Morey should be removed as general manager in an attempt to mitigate the fallout, appease the Chinese government and business interests, and reestablish ties. League sources also indicated that Morey is aware that those discussions have happened and is bracing for that possibility. As one league source put it, this has become “an international issue” that’s “way bigger” than Morey.

yixiixiy and Vivi like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Silver is going to talk soon.
    I fully expect a spineless generic response that is quietly supporting China.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I expect the same...China is too big of a partner with the NBA for Silver to risk fcking that up

Morey will be made to look like the clueless idiot who didn’t know what he was doing and was unaware of how polarizing his tweet was

banzai likes this.
  5. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA bow to China, but I hope Silver isn't a coward.

banzai and BallSoHarden like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I’ve accepted Morey is done. Completely avoidable incident that’s now going to ruin the Rockets.

motleydeflep6 and BallSoHarden like this.
  7. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Morey can't be replaced. I don't think Tilman has a choice folks. Someone needs to call The Wolf

groovemachine, D-rock, tinman and 2 others like this.
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Pretty sure Tillman is gonna tell Morey behind the scenes to issue a public apology to China or he's gonna get let go. Smh.

Now its a true lose-lose.

9. jayland

jayland Member

Hopefully Trump stays out of this and doesn't pour more gasoline to the fire like with NFL national anthem kneeling.

Sajan likes this.
  10. LUK3

LUK3 Member

well sh*t

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Victorious

Victorious Member

We Stand With Morey!

ronron111, N8ioncyrus, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  12. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

I am not sure if Morey is supportive of these..but *** China am I right?

nomiz1987 and LUK3 like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fire the GM
    "Appease the Chinese government and business interests"
    Piss off local HOUSTON fans
    Appoint son(s) (or Monte McNair?) to (interim) GM
    What's not to like?!

[​IMG]

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am actually very happy that this issue is getting bigger and bigger.

I believe Morey will agree me on this.

If the outcome of this tweet is to get more people aware of the situation is going on in Hong Kong, that’s worth millions of lives and their future I am very happy to sacrifice a forking GM job or even a forking NBA team fo all it matters.

ipaman likes this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don't think Morey is going to apologize because there is no guarantee that an apology would be enough to defuse the situation. He may lose his job either way, and with an apology lose his morals too.

dachuda86 and B-Bob like this.
  16. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

It seems like there's always some kind of drama going on with the Rockets whether it's the players, staff, or front office. What a mess of an environment since Les left. I can't believe Morey was that stupid to tweet such a thing, and now because of that, the Rockets might be f*cked for good. Either he stays and the relationship with China is ruined therefore ruining financial potential therefore forcing Fertitta to stay under the luxury tax...or Morey is let go and the team's long-term future is screwed.

withmustard and cheke64 like this.
  17. sheb

sheb Member

wishful thinking

B-Bob likes this.
  18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Pathetic owner, absolutely spineless, lets abandon winning and turn our back on the city in which we play in and compete for so that communists thousands of miles away can be happier? I hope the city of Houston boyotts the team if Morey is let go. Would be incredible to see the city support democracy and free speech, things that America stands for. How many of your domestic partnerships will you lose? This will backfire massively for Tilman. Firing someone for speaking out against one of the primary protected freedoms America has is disturbing and one of the most anti American things you can do. For what? More money?

If you were fired from your job for speaking up for suppressed people and their right to free speech, you can guarantee there is going to be a massive lawsuit coming from Morey. The NBA should step extremely carefully here, because if the end result is Morey being fired he will have a case against them too. Morey is an employee of a US company, he has certain rights and this has wrongful termination written all over it. Im not sure if Texas is an at-will state, but that would not matter at all when you are fired on this basis.

#18 BallSoHarden, Oct 6, 2019
  19. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

It really is not a peaceful protest anymore, it's a riot.

#19 James.B.H, Oct 6, 2019
    Chanson, clutchdabear and Easy like this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Adam Silver is a slimeball that is going to sell our country and its citizens.

Time for Trump to step in and ban export of NBA product into China.

America first!