1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Right Wing Advocates Fail at Duping The Washington Post

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 27, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bobby's utopia is this bleak world where everybody tries to act mischievously in order to "keep people on their toes"

Students should continue to cheat on tests, it'll keep professors on their toes.
    Hackers should continue to try and hack Clutchfans, it'll keep Clutch on his toes.
    Individuals should continue to lie on their tax returns, it'll keep the IRS on its toes.
    Businesses should continue to deceive one another when entering deals, it'll keep both companies on its toes.

There's really no end to the amount of deceit and falsification that one could defend just by using Bobby's arguments.

FranchiseBlade, CometsWin and Deckard like this.
  2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

In the long run it's better for the public. If the assassination works that's a good test on the secret service abilities in protecting a president. Even if it fails it shows the secret service is doing the job they are supposed to. Moral of the story- if you apply Republican mental gymnastics to anything, there's always some good that comes out of bad situations.

Amiga and CometsWin like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I don't get is how is it that right wing outlets get more leeway on the truth than left leaning? The whole Pizzagate faux scandal comes to mind. No one on the right complained about the fact it was a fake story reported as fact by the right...but if the left shows an inkling of a mistake the right declares the entire publisher fake news

CometsWin likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But you do get it. I'm sorry, but the right, on average, cares less about the truth overall and more about agenda and "winning". So their actions are completely consistent. FOX, Rush, and Breitbart can commit holding, chop blocks, and pass interference all game long, as long as they get away w it.

FranchiseBlade, CometsWin and Deckard like this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, there are more "team players" on the right than left, that is why Democrats have trouble winning elections even though there are far more self identified Democrats in this country.

Deckard likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Remind me again ... what was the other fake scandal this OKeefe guy tried to setup some time ago?

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's attempted numerous fake scandals. The ACORN one was the first one, and then pretty much everything else he's done since then has been a fake scandal.

No Worries likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How the MSM covers OKeefe is an exclamation point on everything that is wrong with the MSM.

OKeefe provides entertaining news to fill the news cycle. OKeefe should get zero coverage, except for a minimal mention that he is up to his old antics. But his stories are entertaining and probably gives this MSM good ratings.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Haha, that video was funny. What a loony lady!

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree except that OKeefe has affected policy. The piece on ACORN did help remove federal funding for the group. Many politicians where arguing for defunding Planned Parenthood based upon OKeefe.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think you do have a point and I agree this was a test of the Washington Post's journalistic integrity that they passed. There are two groups here claiming to be journalists would you then agree that Project Veritas should not be considered credible as journalistic entity for deliberately trying to entice another news service with what they knew to be false?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They do different things. The Project Veritas people are just different types of journalists than those they intend to dupe. I wouldn't get my news from people like Project Veritas, but I do think their work has merit. I think of them more similar to what Chris Hansen does with his "To Catch a Predator" series. You feed people information you know to be false in order to have them slip up and get caught doing the wrong thing.

I think those who call out Project Veritas for being biased do so rightfully given that I doubt they'd run one of their stings on Fox News.....but they should, or some similar organization should. I think if you live in a world where journalists are afraid that if they end up not properly vetting a source that they'll end up getting Chris Hansen'd then you'd get much better quality of reporting and much more ethical reporting.

[​IMG]

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think they would tell you that "left-wing news organizations" do the same thing, more insidiously, and have been for much longer. And, cynically, that they are fighting fire with fire. That they are correcting the market. And maybe they have to fight harder and dirtier because the left-wing effort is broader.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You have to be a really sick person to take the side oi "they're doing a public service".

TheRealist137 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Right, they say that every day -- it's part of the narrative, (lacking actual evidence of left-leaning news organizations distorting facts as a policy, as per Breitbart, Rush, et alia). Our rightie friends definitely don't get up in the morning thinking "how can my team cheat today?!" but they go to bed, if they're paying attention, knowing they don't care if their team cheats. Anything to win.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They also like symbolism and simplicity (geared towards them, ofc). All great for getting out the vote with pissed off people.

Policywise...uhh look at reforms in immigration, healthcare and corporate/individual taxes.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Keep in mind that Chris Hansen worked with LE on To Catch a Predator. I'm not aware of Project Veritas with that sort of legal sanction.
    As you note Project Veritas is only going after one side politically. Further if their aim was to improve journalistic integrity OKeefe hasn't admitted to actually hiring Phillips and has refused to answer questions on the issues. If Project Veritas' goal was as you say then they should be coming forward stating they tried a sting to test Washington Post's journalistic ethics and the Post passed. Instead they are avoiding the issue.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It would be a different story had O'Keefe, when interviewed by the WaPo reporter, admitted to the "sting" and lauded their journalistic integrity. Instead, he just kept repeating some inane garbage about the videos that Veritas supposedly had while refusing to answer even a single question.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also not the first time that O'Keefe and Project Veritas stings have been found out.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...g-operations-backfiring/ss-BBFToSo?li=BBnbcA1
    The 33-year-old who tried to trick the Washington Post with a fake sexual harassment story has a long history of sting operations backfiring
    A woman who posed as a victim of Roy Moore, the embattled Republican Alabama Senate candidate whose campaign has been roiled by multiple allegations of misconduct, appeared to be involved in a sting operationmeant to disgrace The Washington Post, the newspaper reported Monday.

The attempted sting operation failed after Post reporters discovered the woman, who identified herself as Jaime Phillips, was actually working for an organization called Project Veritas, led by the conservative activist James O'Keefe.

O'Keefe is a self-described "muckraker" whose mission is to "investigate and expose corruption, dishonesty, self-dealing, waste, fraud, and other misconduct in both public and private institutions in order to achieve a more ethical and transparent society," according to the Project Veritas website.

In the past, he has targeted Planned Parenthood, a Democratic senator, voting rights group ACORN, and CNN by secretly taping conversations and using undercover operatives to bait people into admitting wrongdoing or bias.

His most recent failed attempt at uncovering liberal bias among reporters at The Washington Post is the latest in a string of undercover operations gone wrong.

Here are some highlights of other failed stings (h/t The Hill's Will Sommer):

More at the link by Will Sommer

FranchiseBlade likes this.