1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ridiculous Upside] Rockets Summer League Roster Overview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tshay, Jul 7, 2009.

1. tshay

tshay Contributing Member

A paragraph about each player on the Rockets Summer League Team. Found this on Dreamshake

Rockets Summer League Roster Analysis

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

Do yall think both Budinger and Taylor make the team now?

3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Both will make and stick with the team.

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Considering we bought both of them, I'd say that is a given. One of them might spend most of his time this season in the D-League but unless we resign Wafer, Taylor is probably our backup SG.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Taylor is Wafer's replacement. Budinger will make the team , but I have no confidence in him being a good player. His stock has done nothing but drop, and his workouts were so bad that he fell out of the first round in a terrible draft

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What is "Ridiculous Upside" (the location of that article - not "Dreamshake")? And I don't recall Taylor hitting near 40" on his vertical... I thought he was around 37" in the pre-draft workouts, but maybe he did.

7. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Ridiculous Upside is a Yahoo blog dealing chiefly with the D-League, so far as I can tell. Given the name, I s'pose they also spend a fair amount of time on rookies, summer leagues and draft prospects.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Morey and Les must have saw something if they were willing to pay $2 million for him.

We'll see what Chase can do once the SL starts.

9. Raven

Raven Member

I think so too. Next season is all about showcasing our trade assets. All of our role players are going to get more minutes, more touches, and more opportunities and that will increase their trade value.

One of the weird things about the NBA is that general managers routinely give up too much just to get a guy who was clearly playing above their pay scale, because of the system or their teammates or their coach. Few players are excellent regardless of the environment they play in, but you wouldn't know that based on how general managers seem to covet any guy that puts up good numbers.

10. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

When does the Rockets summer league start.

11. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Im glad we got a bunch of potential JR Smiths instead of a bunch of potential Chuck Hayes. No offense to Chuck but being undersized with little to no athleticism can only get you so far.

12. AB#0

AB#0 Member

I expect Taylor and Budinger on the team.

13. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

July 10

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Ridiculous Upside is a blog that covers pretty much all players not in the league that "want to be in the league"

They are people that, like DD, believe "potential" rules and certain players are just "waiting for the right opportunity"!! ;) Hence they have great upside.

They do a draft review, d league coverage ABA and CBA. It's a pretty good source of information.. I'm subscribed.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I like Jermaine! Hopefully, he can make up for Von's absence. It's too bad that he is about 6'4.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

37' is "nearly 40" depending on how you think about it I guess...

Taylor was 34" "no step vert" and 37.5" "max vert"
    Budinger got 29.5" "no step" and 38.5" "max"

Incidentally, Taylors "no step vertical leap" was the highest in his class.

My prediction is that Taylor makes the team, and Budinger doesn't (and that's got very little to do with their vertical leaps)

17. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I'm sensing Taylor would put up great numbers in the Summer League to become a very tradeable asset for us. :D

18. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

im looking forward to see james white play out of everyone. its funny how people were comparing him to possibly a trevor ariza. and now we have him!. hopefully james white can learn alot from ariza

19. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Taylor may be 6'4" but with his long arms (6'8" wingspan) and thick frame (210 lbs), he's got NBA size. The more important matter is whether he has the mentality, concentration, and hustle to be at least an adequate defender at this level. That seems to be the knock on him according to his scouting report.

20. dragonz

dragonz Member

I like this year's draft.
    I was disappointed that Rockets didn't draft Big baby on the Brooks/Landry year, but it turns out nicely. I am expecting more this year as well.