1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rider RELEASED ! Should we give him a shot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 18, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

It would be absolutely nuts to sign Rider now. You have to remember the last thing we want to do know is win games at the end. Play tough & close as well as try out a few new things & players, but be sure to lose it down the stretch like we are doing. This is the model we want right now. In fact I think part of why Atl released him now so that they could try to to steal OUR draft pick. Atl record is much better with him playing than not playing. Rider is a headache who is bad for his team in the long run, who is also talented and can win a lot of games in the short term for you by himself. This this is exactly the wrong model for us right now in every way I can think of.

Also, I have heard Rider won't be available for the playoffs. The only teams that would be interested are those teams who need a few extra regular season wins to get them in the playoffs or further their playoff jockying. As far as Rider being out of the league next year, that is crazy. Someone with his talent will be signed unless he is completely prohibited for playing (e.g., Roy Tarpley, Spree during his suspencion).

------------------

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Every team should have a player who can summon up his own "hit squad" to take care of troublesome teammates.

------------------

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Maybe I'm just naive, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear Francis and/or Mobley state publicly that they didn't want to play with Rider. They seem like the type who would value professionalism over cheap, lottery-hindering wins.

------------------
    Keep the Faith... Keep the Rockets.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It is my understanding that if a team were to pick up Rider off of waivers, they would inherit his Bird Rights. First, is that true? Second, if it is true, I think no one will pick him up this year because it would give Rider's agent leverage next year in negotiating the next contract. If a team that does want him allows the Bird Rights to expire and then pick him up, they can tell Rider next year, Sorry, there's no money under the cap for you; will you work for the minimum? And they'd have him for very little monetary/cap risk.

------------------