1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rider Or Finley Trade Unrealistic ?????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket101, Nov 23, 1999.

1. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

Sorry about the title snafu.. anyways, here is what I posted earlier..

Its times to wise up on the trade speculation involving Rider or Finley. You would have to think a** backwards to believe that Atlanta or Dallas would trade either of those two for Mobley and Mack. Throw in Walt the Brick Williams and even Carlos Rogers and both of those teams laugh in your face! Mobley is not a future star otherwise there would be no point in trading him. Atlanta or Dallas will want equal star talent for either of those two (Rider or Finley) and please don't use the excuse that Rider is such a headcase that they'll trade him just to get rid of him. Just in case you all say to throw in the #1 just to make them drool,those teams still aren't going to deal with us because of the veterans we have and with the added talent of Rider or Finley that "FUTURE LOTTERY PICK" would dissolve into a low 1st round pick which would make the trade worthless for whomever we did deal with.

Someone like Derek Harper would be more realistic though I doubt we will attempt to get him because the Rocket Brass has had opportunites to acquire him but for whatever reason have not.
    ------------------
    GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Rocket101 (edited November 23, 1999).]

2. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Anyone knowlegable cares to compare Mobly and Drew's production with the other back-ups at the same position? That way we can know how much they really worth. Well, Drew certainly doesn't worth much but it doesn't hurt to know.

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I agree that acquiring Finley is probably close to impossible, but I am telling you-- if Houston decides that it wants Rider, and if Rider keeps up the sniveling brat act, we will be able to name our price.

Which sucks. Advocating the acquisition of that loser is just plain disgusting.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I wouldn't even unload Walt Williams and Bryce Drew for that joke of a human being. I will become a Dallas Mavericks fan before I embrace this clown onto my team. It is a complete joke that year after year, GM's around the league, whispering a word, "potential" deal quality players away for this man, thinking that he has "changed". It's always the same old story by Rider. The man will never change and I hope Rudy isn't the next guy to fall for his act.

5. popeye

popeye Member

Couple of things:

1. A**backwards would not be the worse description offered on Don Nelson. So don't deny a Finley trade based on that. Larry Brown and Don are seriousily discussing Hughes and Ratlif for Finley,et,al . So believe it.
    2. Believe Brian K. JR Rider is being heavily shopped. Lenny W. likes a number of Rockets. They both have had good comfortable beneficial deals in the past. Lenny likes Matt Bullard. Lenny likes Sam Mack. A Mookie offer involved Sam Mack and Bullard in the past. We still can offer Walt for cap. I am not suggesting a Bullard for Rider. Or even endorsing Rider. but the possibilities are strong and present.
    3. For some reason Rudy and Don Nelson have always had a "thing" between them. A tension. Tight smiles and strong handshakes. A growl. Something. I don't think giving Rudy the likes of Finley would ever cross Don's strange but clouded mind. I think he would trade him outside the conference. Just a thought. But Finley I would whole heartedly endorse and crawl over a mile of broken glass without screaming if we could get him.
    4. We have lost out on Harper in the past due to Harper not pulling the trigger. he has admitted that. This time around, the Pistons are being stubborn. They want something or they are willing to take a loss. The Rockets have talked to the Pistons several times. the last tiome was over a week ago. Harper has "made inquiries, through agents" to the Rockets. RT and CD really want Harper.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

If the Sixers could get Finley for say, Hughes and Hill, and not have to part with Ratliff, look for Philly to meet LA/Portland in the Finals this season.

He would really give them the complimentary superstar that Stackhouse never became.

Who is on the block this season:

*Richmond
    *Rider
    *Sprewell
    *Marbury
    *McGrady
    *Hughes
    *Ratliff
    *Finley

I would take Richmond and Rider off that list for obvious reasons. Sprewell and Marbury would take nothing short of Francis to wheel in, so scratch them off the list. That leaves you with McGrady from Toronto (possibly Christie), Rat and Hughes from Philly, and Finley for Dallas. I am hoping that they don't organize a 3-way so that we can jump in and snatch the one guy who isn't gobbled up in the deal. If Hughes and Finley are indeed swapped for one another, then I would certainly make a push of Mack, Mobley, and Rogers for McGrady and cap throwins. Just a thought.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Thanks Popeye! Finally, some up to date information on Harper. If we were going to try to go for it this year, I believe he would be an inclement piece to the puzzle. If this turns into a rebuilding year, he would be valuable as a teacher to Francis, Mobley and Drew. They need the guidance. We're missing Eddie Johnson this year.