1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Perry entertains talk of 2012 bid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Apr 18, 2010.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh god no...
    _____

Texas Gov. Rick Perry entertains talk of 2012 bid

AUSTIN, Texas — After clobbering Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in the March Republican primaries, Gov. Rick Perry has been steadily raising his national profile, fueling speculation that he is quietly building a campaign for the White House in 2012.

Perry still has to beat Democrat Bill White in November, so the speculation only goes so far. But less than a week after grabbing headlines at a Republican conference in New Orleans that came off like a 2012 candidates' beauty pageant, Perry found himself posing for pictures Thursday for next week's edition of Newsweek.

"I want to make you look good . . . let's see that handsome smile," photographer Matthew Mahon told Perry, whose rugged Marlboro-man looks and legendary swagger have helped make him a Texas political icon. Those traits, along with his penchant for bashing the Obama administration at every opportunity, have now made him a tea party darling with a national following.

"I think everybody assumes he has an interest in running for national office because if he were just interested in Texas, he'd only be talking about Texas," said Jack Pitney, professor of government at Claremont McKenna College. "One rule of thumb is that the more a politician attacks Washington, the more sure you can be that that politician wants to move there."

Perry, 60, insists he's not a Beltway kind of guy, dramatically remarking in a recent televised debate that he plans to spend the next four years in Austin if "the good Lord" sees fit to let him live that long.

Still, Perry continues to get, and seek, national attention. It came in spades last week when the governor delivered a combative speech at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, where former GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and other potential 2012 candidates addressed GOP activists.

Though Palin got top billing, it was Perry who gave them the red meat they wanted. He started out with the sheepish disclosure that he would be inflicting a little pro-Texas, chamber-of-commerce talk on the crowd. Instead, he mostly talked about how Washington was out of step with the American heartland, and how only a return to bedrock Republican principles will save his party.

He also delivered a not-so-subtle slap at his predecessor, George W. Bush, the last and only Texas governor who went to the White House. He said Republicans lost their way right around the time Bush won the presidency and "we elected men and women with an R behind their names, and we couldn't tell whether they were Republicans or Democrats."

But Perry also tore a page out of the Bush playbook by hammering robotically on four simple themes — in Perry's case it's regulatory restraint, lawsuit curbs, low taxes and school accountability.

"That's it!" he declared. "Then get out of the way." It's a slightly more muscular version of Bush's mantra that government "ought to do a few things and do them well and that government should not try to be all things to all people."

White's campaign has stepped up its criticism of Perry's national meanderings, saying it proves the Democrat is focused on Texas while Perry "focuses on his political career." As analyst Pitney sees it, Perry's no-holds-barred conservatism is playing well with tea party adherents and the Republican rank-and-file. But he said the governor could leave himself open to being labeled as an extremist in a general election contest with Obama. Perry routinely dismisses talk of any interest in the White House, but he doesn't deny he wants people outside of Texas to take a look at him and his state.

"I think every day we do something to raise, not necessarily our profile, but to raise interesting issues that people across the country I hope will look to Texas and say, 'you know what, we want to be more like Texas,'" Perry recently told The Associated Press.

During his photo-shoot for Newsweek, the governor attracted a small crowd on the ninth floor of an office building that provides a breathtaking view of the Texas State Capitol. To ensure the appropriate localized backdrop, the magazine taped a small Texas flag to the wall behind Perry — and then had him alternately sit, stand, go out on the balcony and hike his pants up a bit to reveal his famous Texas footwear.

"Give 'em a little leg?" Perry said obligingly. No one was shocked to see ostrich skin boots emblazoned with a canon and the words "Come and Take It," a Texas revolutionary symbol that Perry and conservative activists now brandish tauntingly at their rivals.

The governor then sat for an interview with Texas journalist Evan Smith, writing for Newsweek, before heading off to Fort Worth to promote a NASCAR race this weekend. Perry's campaign coughed up $225,000 to sponsor driver Bobby Labonte's Chevrolet Impala. It's being broadcast nationally on the Fox network.

link

2. bucket

bucket Member

If I were Bill White, I would use Perry's presidential ambitions against him in the gubernatorial election. Perry's clearly not going to be focused on governing Texas in the next couple of years.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He'd make a pretty good sacrificial lamb.

4. updawg

updawg Member

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My neighbor/friend is one of the guys running his campaign. If Perry has any national ambitions, he's hiding it from even his closest allies and staff. The only reason Perry is even talked about is because the Republican party on a national stage is short of superstars other than Palin and she's a Tea Bagger now. The political writers need something and someone to talk about which is why Perry is brought up. Texas is doing well so people automatically put him in the race. It isn't happening. Perry LOVES being governor which is why he running for a record term.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

[​IMG]

With hair like this how can he lose?

7. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

why doesn't he want to be the president of Texas seeing he wants to secede :rolleyes:

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not that this will turn out the same, but Garry Mauro tried to do that too. And a few political analysts right after the election said Bush probably won in '98 because a lot of people wanted to see him try for the Presidency. Of course, Bob Bullock isn't around to kneecap White, so he's probably in a better position.

10. conquistador#11

Why is he a tea party darling? I thought the tea party did not take political...ah never mind. That hair is silky smooth though, maybe he can take his vaccine nation wide, for the good of the people of course. =/

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the public perception of Perry being a 2012 presidential candidate would be very good for his governorship campaign. People will see him as big-time, while White is just a mayoral chump. I think White could be doing himself a disservice by validating Perry's national aspirations and instead should be mocking him for thinking he could ever be anything on a larger stage.

12. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

Thanks TR, I just spit coffee on my keyboard. :grin:

13. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I could see him being Palin's VP.

T*ts & @ss 2012

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

that's funny. he can barely pull enough votes to win the state election, and yet he may throw his hat in to the presidential race where our last pres is viewed by some as one of the nation's worst ever, and also happens to be from texas.

and as bucket said, the white campaign is already jumping on this opportunity.

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Either changed his mind, or this was merely a rumor: http://blogs.chron.com/txpotomac/2010/04/rick_perry_on_george_w_bush_me.html

Nonetheless, the dude is a barrel of laughs and contradictions.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's very difficult to run for President of the United States when you're screaming for secession for your state from the United States.

Wait....unfortunately, it's not difficult.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if i were bill white id just point out what a jackass of a governor he is.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I work for Bill White's campaign right now so I feel bad for saying it. But honestly speaking, Bill White wont win unless Rick Perry pulls a George Allen and says something really dumb. It's his race to lose which makes me very sad :(

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

...it's also unfortunate that strategy likely won't work. :(

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i think the demographics of this state have changed a lot and a dem like white should have a shot. or maybe i'm just wishing