1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Rick Barnes announces current UT Lineup

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikeyharris, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Arriving at Big 12 men's basketball media day as one of the most hyped teams in the country, the biggest question facing the Texas Longhorns on Wednesday was not about which player was ready to become a star.

It was about if anyone on the roster isn't.

With one of the nation's most heralded recruiting classes joining a team already stocked with talented veterans like Dexter Pittman and Damion James, coach Rick Barnes has the luxury of a team in which as many as 14 players can become significant contributors to a championship-level squad.

"We've got more depth than we've ever had," Barnes said of a UT team picked to finish second in the Big 12 and rated by many preseason publications as one of the top five teams in the country.

After five days of practice, Barnes has started to get an idea of what his first starting lineup will look like. If the Longhorns played Wednesday, he said he'd go with a starting five of Dexter Pittman, Damion James, Avery Bradley (the Big 12's preseason freshman of the year), Justin Mason and Varez Ward. But freshmen Jordan Hamilton and J'Covan Brown have been impressive so far in camp, and they could eventually displace Mason and Ward as starters. Brown, thought to be a combo guard when he was recruited out of Port Arthur Memorial, might have the best point-guard skills on the team, Barnes said.

Jai Lucas, the former Houston Bellaire standout who began his college career at Florida, attended media day even though he won't be eligible to play at UT until Dec. 15 because of NCAA transfer rules. The timing of his comeback means he'll be able to play in one game before the Longhorns face North Carolina on Dec. 19.

He said the yearlong layoff has been difficult to endure.

"I still have a countdown going," said Lucas, who two months ago decided not to cut his hair until he becomes an active member of the team. "I have two months to go, and then this hair is gone."

http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2009/10/ut_basketball_barnes_reveals_t_1.html

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

damn, i hope that j-ham and j'covan crack the starting 5 soon.

they bring so much more to the table

3. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

I wonder if J'covan has his attitude under control yet

4. MourningWood

it sure seems like it if barnes is speaking highly of him and sending praise his way.

he's been ripped for his stubborn, self-centered attitude, but i'm sure he has been humbled playing alongside bradley, j-ham, dex, and damion

5. ThaShark316_28

Man this season is gonna be awesome...HOOK EM.

I really want to see what Brown has to offer...along with our big time freshmen.

6. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

I went to high school with J'Covan, and he is very talented, he just has to control his attitude. I do know that he has taken anger management classes, so maybe those helped

7. HoustonN06

HoustonN06 Member

Can't wait for College BBall to get rolling!

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

texas is winning it all this year. avery bradley is going to shut down john wall. john wall is scared.

10. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Agreed. Pittman is going to be unstoppable if he can stay out of foul trouble. A man amongst boys.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Last I heard, he's down to 280 and looks fantastic. He's also assumed a leadership role with the team, taking some of the younger players under his huge wings. Like you said, if he stays on the court, UT is going to be very very good. I can't wait to see the UNC game and the Kansas game.

12. MourningWood

I played 5-on-5 pick up with J'covan Brown and Christian Scott, back-up safety for the UT football team, tonight. J'covan's shot the three ball effortlessly, and he was dropping dimes left and right. He's actually pretty tall. I'm 6'2'', and he probably had an inch on me. Real cool dude.

J'covan was laid back, and didn't say much, but C. Scott was running his mouth and getting rough with a couple of the players in the paint (on the verge of a physical altercation with this 6'6'' European post player).

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just a kind BUMP to prop Rick and his freshman after today's awesome win.

Next up, WE DEFEAT SPARTA!

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yup... I'd like to see more out of Hamilton. I know he's a great shooter, but for some reason his shot selection sometimes disappoints me.