1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman was better than JVG and D'antoni combined

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 18, 2016.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

RudyT LAUGHS at Adelman/JVG/D'antoni!

[​IMG]

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Rick's teams were known for their offense, but while in Houston especially when we were contending the rockets had a top defense in the NBA.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They're both on the top of my list.

If both were available I'd choose Rick.

He gets the most out of what he has. The only knock on him is his style is predictable in the playoffs and is open to getting exploited.

Otherwise I like his defense and offensive styles just fine. Bring in Shane too.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I know this is going to be shocking, but I wouldn't know because you aren't important enough to pay attention to. I'm not the one chasing people around like a lost puppy because they were wrong one time. Hate to break it to you, but people make mistakes all the time. Don't believe me? Look in the mirror and go ask your mother.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Weren't the 2006/2007 Rockets (JVG's last year) at full strength in the playoffs?

And then the 2007/2008 Rockets (Adelman's first year) they were missing their most important player (Yao) in the playoffs?

And then in 2008/2009 Rockets (Adelman's second year) McGrady missed the whole playoffs and Yao went down after game 3 of the second round, and the Rockets still managed to take the would-be champions to seven games with a starting line up of (artest, brooks, battier, scola, hayes)?

I feel overall Adelman achieve more with less than JVG, but I would take either of them in a heartbeat.

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No its because you're a loser who is consistently wrong and goes and hides. You're also under the impression that you're important because you have stupid takes that get laughed about. Claiming that Marcus Morris is gonna be the next Lebron james is a level of stupid people don't forget about man. Honey boo boo is mentioned a lot too, so I guess your realm of thinking is more aligned with that, so take your sad middle aged life and applaud yourself for making a mom comment. At least now, people actually think you have a pair.

Will it make your day if I tell you that you have the potential to be even mildly funny and intelligent?

7. dmoneybangbang

LOL... I'm not a 10 year old.... Or are you unaware that I can use the interwebz to go back in time and get information?

You missed the point of me bringing up "Fire Adelman" threads and defense. Since I WAS around that time, the narrative was that Adelman didn't care about defensive.

Speaking of facts: https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/defensive-efficiency?date=2011-06-12

Adelman inherited a team that 2nd in defensive efficiency in his first season and ended up with a 19th ranked team when he left.

I'm not sure how you can quantify that? Did the TWolves play harder on Adelman too?

I only fetch latte for real 99ers.

8. dmoneybangbang

Oh there's more than a few threads bashing Adelman....

For not playing the rookies...

For being stubborn with the lineups....

For not caring about defense....

You know.... all the stuff that emotional fans make up in order to support their fragile egos.

If you can actually step back from your usual quasi-trolling... I think RA is a better overall coach than JVG and Pringles.... But RA is no longer coaching and he wouldn't be someone you want in 2016. Probably not even 2012 as his coaching fell off a cliff once he went to the TWolves and dealt with some personal issues.

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

So cherry picking his last team, which was led by Brooks and then Lowry is comparable to the Yao/Tmac squad that was contending. I've tried to lecture you on this before, but understand what context freaking means man. You give a lot of us that support statistical evidence a bad name. The appropriate comparison would be to list the contending teams under Rick (even though he was plagued by injuries much more than JVG's teams---never even had a healthy season), to the contending teams under JVG. For example, I wouldn't use the season we had Stromile Swift and were dead last in the conference to make any sort of assertion. That would be stupid.

Lastly, the twolves were a tanking team. I'm glad you chose to ignore once again, the success he found everywhere else. Please just stop posting, you really don't know anything.

10. dmoneybangbang

LOL. You've put me on ignore several times... Truth is hard to handle sometimes so I can understand why you'd want to hide from me.

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I have to hit "show post". I didn't take you off, but being wrong is your specialty.

You never debate an idiot, onlookers might not be able to tell the difference.

If I have to come down to the level of explaining proper contextual application, neither of us are doing the other a favor.

12. dmoneybangbang

Isn't it cherry picking focusing on his first season? When the previous coach built up a team with great defensive players and principles? We didn't let go Battier, Yao, and Deke when we got RA so is it Rick's defensive prowess that led to a great defensive team?

A tanking team? They consistently ranked 12 or higher under Rick and had a solid starting lineup.

13. dmoneybangbang

So still hiding then?

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look at the thread when we lost by 40 points to the mavericks or when we lost game 7 to utah at home.

Who the hell loses game 7 at home?

Jvg rockets

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I found them dumb back then.

TMac. He never makes it out of the first round.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His first years he was using JVG system of D and kept that largely intact because he had the same players tutored by Gundy.

Once the team started to change, the defense dropped to 19th in the league.

17. dmoneybangbang

What's your point? Resurrect every "Fire Coach" thread and score them in order to rank previous coaches?

RA was a great coach, but he's washed up now. Why bring him up now? Can all you 99ers do is live in the past?

18. dmoneybangbang

Having one of the best centers/most dominant two way players ever can lead you to back to back championships.

I prefer context over rosy nostalgia. I think Adelman/JVG/D'antoni are all fine coaches in their own regards.

We have an elite offensive player, it kinda makes sense to go after the dude that has a great offensive mind. Maybe JVG will sign on as the defensive assistant.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Sadly I don't thin we win a 'ship with Morey as GM and with Les as owner.

I just don't see it. They are soon dumb.

It's like they start their meetings with the following:

"Ok, any ideas on how to never become a true contender ?????"

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member