1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman Versus Jeff Van Gundy: Who Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Oct 28, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

This article from Wang Meng appeared a couple days earlier on Titan Sports.

As the debate/argument about who is a more suitable and better head coach for the Houston Rockets, Jeff Van Gundy or Rick Adelman, seems to be never ending, maybe the following can help to provide us some more thoughts and insights.

If you're professional basketballers, which type of head coach you would prefer? A no-nonsense, hands-on, disciplinary coach like Jeff Van Gundy, or an easy-to-go-with, hands-off and laisse-faire coach like Rick Adelman??

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I can remember nothing but praise for Van Gundy from the core players.

I look forward to Adelman's style of play though. VGball was just hard to watch.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'm glad things have worked out like they have. Yao and the gang getting JVG defense drilled into their heads, and now Adelman opening up the offense, and hopefully getting Yao more touches, even if it is in the high post. I'd rather have him taking 18 footers than Rafer jacking up 3's.

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

JVG is a great coach but not for Houston. Rockets are typical offensive team, and JVG killed it. So yes, Adelman is a lot better fit for Rockets

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

ADELMAN

6. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I haven't seen enough of Adelman to decide. However, I'd rather watch a team shut down the opposing team defensively than win while letting up 100+ ppg. On the other hand, if the Rockets have greater success under Adelman than under VG then of course I prefer Rick.

I have to say 'though, that this board can be unbelievably hypocritical at times. When JVG didn't play somebody it was because "he played only players that fit his system rather than play to his better players' strengths". Now when it seems like Adelman is not going to play Francis, it's because Francis can't fit into Adelman's system and totally not Adelman's fault. I'm not saying that Adelman should play Francis but something JVG was constantly bashed for, Adelman gets a pass.

7. Guru

Guru Member

:confused:

8. ikfit

ikfit Member

too eaerly to ask this question.

till now, I prefer Adelman, at least he knows what he should do in preseason, JVG ask players play preseason like regular, that's not right.

And Jvg can not make players happy to play.

9. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think if we hope to win a championship Van Gundy's style would be better.

But I won't write off Adleman until he's been given a fair chance. He hasn't even had one season yet.

It's just that the last pre-season game against the Spurs, our defense was awful. The Spurs basically won because of our soft defense. That would have been a victory against a Van Gundy lead Rockets.

I like Adleman, and I like our offense. It's going to be fun to watch, and I like the players we have on the team. It will be interesting. I just think that year after year the teams that go all the way are half court defensive minded team.s

11. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

ANyone but JVG

12. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Lol, that did that article crack anyone else up?

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this year they are a very offensive team with the new additions, but if you look at last years roster its hard for me to say they were an "offensive team" given either rafer or battier was your 3rd best scorer..maybe luther.

shouldnt they be happy to play on their own?

14. awo86

awo86 Rookie

I think its better to have Adelman in first then have JVG in to fix the defense rather than the other wya around.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the short and bald JVG with a big forehead and big glottis would get a kick out of it.

I don't know about you, but I was always struck by the size of JVG's glottis. I'm sure it commanded the respect of his players in the locker room.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Especially in the shower.

17. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Personally I think a coach needs to be a little of both. Players some time play to tense under coaches like Van Gundy, and sometime to lackadasial under Adelman. Its' like being a good parent, you scold your kids for messing up, but you also can share in a laugh with them sometimes. Its' about being approachable, but also you no who is running the ship, and to never challenge who is running the ship.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Well, let's see. Oveview

Rick Adelman
    ----------------------------------------------------
    + Coached 89-90 and 91-92 Portland Teams to the NBA Finals.

+ Coached the same Portland Teams to 3 consecutive Western Conference Finals. And later coached the Sacramento Kings of 01-02 to the Western Conference Finals.

+ Teams have never failed to rank in the top half of the league in total offense. The lowest an Adelman coached team has ever ranked in the total league offense is 13th (in 95 - 96) , which would put them slightly above average.

+ From 89 to 94, Trailblazers were in the top 5 defenses in the league, every year, except the 93 - 94 season, where they were ranked 12th in overall defense. In the previous seasons, they were ranked 3rd twice and 2nd twice in four years. While Adelman was a King, his teams managed to rank in the top 10...3x, as they were ranked 11th in his second season and 12th in his last season.

+ He has made the playoffs every single year in his coaching career, except for two seasons.

+ He's mostly seen as a players' coach, you rarely hear former players speak of ill-will about him.

+ In most of the seasons that he has coached, his teams have won over 50 games (9 total seasons) with two of at least 60 wins, while in 7 seasons, he failed to do so, but of those seven, only two were non-playoff appearance.

- Failed two year extent in Golden State, but to his credit those teams were terrible. Although, he actually had losing record with his 1st year in Portland, they still managed to make the playoffs that year.

- He's never won a championship, but again his teams did have the misfortunes of playing some of the greatest teams in NBA history...the Pistons, Bulls, and Lakers. All three were defending champions.

- He's often stuck with title of being non or very little defense type coach (Nelson or D'Antoni), when actually some of his best squads were near some of the best defensive teams for that given year, especially with Trailblazers. Also with Kings, there was only three years where his defenses ranked lower than 13th in the league and where ranked in the top 10 (3x....7th, 6th, and 3rd)

+ Career winning percentage: .610 (752-481) regular season | .507 (70-68) playoffs

Jeff Van Gundy
    ----------------------------------------------------
    + Coached 98-99 Knicks to the NBA Finals

+ Also that year, the Knicks became the only 8th seed in NBA history to appear in the NBA Finals, after defeating the Heat, Hawks, and Pacers.

+ Even though JVG has the reputation of (probably is) being authoriatative, dictator type coach, most of his players, especially former ones speak nothing, but good things about him.

+ Van Gundy has only missed the playoffs, twice, in 01 - 02, he didn't coached the full year and 05-06, when Houston saw T-Mac and Yao injured for most of season.

+ He's only had a losing record once, a season where both T-Mac and Yao missed more than half of their games.

+ JVG has only had one year, where his team didn't rank in top 10 in defense, it happened to be the same season, he resigned after 19 games. In nearly 7 seasons with the Knicks, the team ranked in top 5 defenses, five times. With Houston, they were ranked in the top 5 in 3 out of 4 seasons.

- He's had the misfortunes of not playing with a truly great team or having injured superstars....I think you see a different outcome in the 99 FInals with a health Patrick Ewing.

- His coaching style doesn't really provide a lot of balance, most of his teams are pretty average or worst offensively. Of all of his NBA seasons, the highest his teams have ever been ranked in total offense is 14th in league...it happened last year. He has only been ranked in the top half of the league in offense twice in 11 seasons. His 2nd and final season in Houston.

- Some say that he doesn't play rookies or young players, too often, sort of like Larry Brown.

+ Career winnng percentage: .575 (430-318) | .500 (44 - 44)

I believe generally...both coaches have over-achieved, tremedously, they've both taken franchises that were either struggling, falling, or developing and made the best of them. In regards to Adelman, he took an already talented, but underachieving Portland team and turned them into a Western Confence powerhouse. Later with Sacramento, the coach morphed a perennial loser into Western Conference juggernaut with Webber, Peja, and Vlade.

On the other side, JVG took over a Knicks team that was beginning to fade. Once as the Knicks were the rivals to the Chicago Bulls and briefly took over supremacy in the conference. Their players started to age and coaching changes happen. As the Nelson projected proved to be somewhat of disappointment.

The JVG Knicks were formed to similar to the Knicks of the early 90s with better players....LJ, Sprewell, and Houston. With heavy emphasis on defense, but this time better scorers on the Knicks side. All this with an aging Patrick Ewing. Still, he never could open up the offense enough or draw up enough scoring strategies to get his team to point a great balance.

In Houston, he helped stuggling franchise (6 years without a playoff appearance) reach the playoffs in his first year. He developed a great defense and help turn Yao Ming into one of the premier and possibly best center of today through him becoming a beast in the low post. Kept a pretty competent squad together without the superstars at times. Still, his Houston teams didn't seem to have good enough supporting cast or the right players to get to next level.

19. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I really think that this thread should have a poll attached to it since it is a question of whether you prefer JVG or RA. There could be a third or fourth answer in the poll, which could say "It's too early to tell", or "Let's just wait and see how the season goes for the team".

RA is said to be more of a players' coach unlike JVG. If that is really true, then my thoughts about Steve Francis is this: If he can't jell under RA, then I would say that his playing career is over.

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

At the end of the day, it all comes down to whoever wins. If Adelman don't win a playoff series this year, then he is a failure just as JVG was.