1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman on why Terrence Williams isn't in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Rockets_4_life

I didn't like the part were he say's "we traded for him, (and) there wasn't a spot for him anyway" seems like he wasn't on board with trading for Terrence Williams. Meaning he and Morey aren't exactly communicating on negotiations like Morey said they were. Which obviously points to some conflict between him and Morey, despite Morey saying other wise.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick:

Needs to do his job everyday

Go about it professionally

Traded for him though there wasn't a spot anyways.

Been with other guys lot longer. Know what they can do and how they play.

Unfortunate for him. Just the way it is.

Unless injury or guys arent playing well or are struggling, I dont know how I can change that at this point. It is what it is.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kind of how I read it too....

Unless Morey can turn it around with a big trade, I think Rick bails out after this year anyway.

DD

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ok. here is the translation. what RA said is correct. other players are playing very well so tw can't crack the rotation. but RA didn't mention our team sucks right now badly. how could you have players playing very well and team sucks?

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

if team is playing very well, i have no problem with what RA said. i don't care how other players are playing very well. if team sucks due to defense, why don't pull someone who doesn't play defense out and put tw and see whether he plays defense or not.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I agree wholeheartedly.

Even Kobe Bryant sat when he started for the Lakers. TWill needs to earn his keep. Heck, in the little we've seen of him I can't say he's impressed me that much. Adelman like any other coach wants to win. If TWill was as critical to that as certain clutchfans would like to believe, then TWill would be on the floor. Somehow people don't get something this simple...

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

then he should say he should show me in practice he can earn minutes.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

There are a number of little nagging issues that point to some kind of "disfunctionality" operating within the Rockets organization. Someone or several someones are not on the same page. I found Adelman's comments a bit disconcerting. Kind of like, "why did we trade for this guy anyway, we didn't have a spot for him." Hmmm.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You could be right, DD.

But that's, in part, WHY Morey makes trades like this. He knows that his future HOF coach may not stick around forever; and he (as the GM) needs to make some moves with an eye towards 2-3 years down the road.

To give up a pick that will likely be no better than #17 or #18 in some future draft at least a couple of years away, to get a mid-lottery pick with high lottery talent, is the type of move that so many people here have been BEGGING the Rockets to make for years.

Now, just be patient. (To everyone. I think DD gets this part already.)

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Boy I'll sure be glad when Morey makes this fantastic trade everyone is so sure is coming. Between the Rockets, Astros, & Texans I'm SICK & TIRED of being told "BE PATIENT". It's gotten REAL OLD! Let TWILL play, it can't get much worse for the Rockets anyway. Courntey Lee has had an average impact, let's put TWill in & see what he can do with Lee's minutes.

11. amaru

amaru Member

Basically what I thought.....the other guys are knowns and Terrance is an unknown. Adelman is not comfortable with unknowns.

Therefore, unless Terrance shows Kobe level talent in practice or in garbage time, it would take a major roster shake up for him to see significant minutes.

12. delta69er

delta69er Member

It is what it is, there's a reason none of us are the head coach of the Houston Rockets and he is

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's what we call the Bob McNair/Gary Kubiak approach or method. Very easy to apply to the Rockets :p And that approach/method is:

"We aren't winnin' but those kids are battlin' out there and our coaches are battle-coachin' out there. That's all I can ask for from them. Great effort from those kids. We just gotta keep battlin, keep fightin', keep pushin' though and I believe good things will head our way.

I believe in my coaches including defensive coordinator Frank Bush err T.R. Dunn. He has done some good things even though the numbers might suggest otherwise. He's a good kid who is doin' good things with those kids out there. We have brought him down from the press box to the field errr moved him from 3 seats away to now sitting right next to me so we'll see if that helps. We'll keep mixing and matching until we find the right lineup that we like. So we'll see. If it doesnt work out, that's on me. It's my fault. But again, we'll see. Is that all? Thanks guys." #ontherighttrack #Texans #Rockets

1 person likes this.
  14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that Martin, Brooks, Lee, Battier and Budinger are all ALSO showing Adelman in practice that each of them deserves minutes. THAT is why there is no room for Williams right now. I don't think Adelman needs to spell that out any more than he has.

The fact is, if Adelman wants offense at the wing positions, he can use any combination of Martin, Brooks and Budinger; and if Adelman wants defense at the wing positions, he can use Lee and Battier. Hell, he should probably be playing Lee more before he considers playing Williams, since Lee can do it on both ends and is a more mature NBA player who has had an entire training camp, preseason and first month and a half of the regular season (not to mention a month of private workouts with Martin prior to training camp) that Williams simply has not had.

Again, just be patient.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Agree. Kind of what I was trying to get across. At this point of coach's career, does he really want to be in the business of playing this many young guys and letting them develop? Probably not.

RA signed on to make a run at a title, shame injuries have derailed that.

If Morey can't land some real talent, is there any reason For RA to stay? I would say no.

16. amaru

amaru Member

In some cases claims of racial prejudice are warranted and in others they are not.

This is a case in which such claims are not warranted. Most of the players Rick plays are "black"...so that really takes some steam out of your argument.

Don't throw such labels around carelessly because then it takes away from the legitimacy of actual claims in the eyes of the average person (for whatever reason)

:rolleyes:

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Okay, then. What the hell do you want Morey to do?

He's assembled a fairly decent cache of trade assets, all while being constrained by two monstrous contracts of constantly injured superstars clogging up the salary cap. He managed to turn one of those contracts into an elite scoring SG, a young PF prospect and at least one first round pick. He is trying to move the other one, but only if it really helps the team.

I can guaran-damn-tee you that trade proposals--many of which are somewhat more reasonable facsimiles of many of the trade ideas on this very BBS--have been made to almost every other team in the NBA. But the Rockets cannot force the other teams to trade with them.

THEY ARE NOT "DOING NOTHING." THEY ARE DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO MAKE A SENSIBLE DEAL.

Believe me when I say that I, too, am getting very anxious and impatient waiting on a move to be made. But that anxiety and impatience isn't going to help the Rockets make a sensible move any faster, and it won't magically cause other teams to pull the trigger on trades proposed by the Rockets; and it won't make All-Star players decide that they MUST play only for Houston and force their way to the Rockets.

If you want the Rockets to be good again, and you are losing patience with Morey's current strategy, then the only alternative is to "try" (if you can call it that) and improve through the draft.

If that's what you want, then you better be VERY patient.

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Rick needs to realize that you play your best players, not who has been there longer. If we got Carmelo, I'm sure he wouldn't say that there isn't any room for him in the rotation. Terrence is definitely better than Bud and Lee. Play him Rick!!!

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another Texans related reference. We all remember "PAY HIM RICK!".

Now it's "PLAY HIM RICK!"

Maybe Terrence should write it on his shoes. PLAY ME RICK

:p

20. nathan8

nathan8 Member

The trade was solely based around the business side of basketball. We all know that guys. Some one is going to get shipped out of Houston real soon and that is the only time Terrence Williams will crack our rotation.