1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Richard Jefferson named to Olympic team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by booshan, Apr 30, 2003.

1. booshan

booshan Contributing Member

I'm curious to hear everyone's reaction being that Francis got snubed and, of course, we have Eddie Griffin...

Wednesday, April 30

Brand, Jefferson, Collison to get Team USA invites

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

With three spots left to fill on its roster for Olympic qualifying this summer, USA Basketball is extending invitations to the L.A. Clippers' Elton Brand, New Jersey's Richard Jefferson and NBA rookie-to-be Nick Collison from Kansas, league sources told ESPN.com.

All three players are seen as role-player supplements to what USAB refers to as its "core group" of nine players, and the additions of Brand and Collison would give coach Larry Brown five recognized big men. San Antonio's Tim Duncan, Utah's Karl Malone and Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal are the only power players presently on Brown's team.

Elton Brand played on the U.S.'s sixth-place team at the Worlds last year.
    At guard, meanwhile, Team USA already has commitments from the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, New Jersey's Jason Kidd, Philadelphia's Allen Iverson, Seattle's Ray Allen and Sacramento's Mike Bibby. Jefferson, fitting the up-and-comer profile USAB has established for the role-player spots, would serve as an understudy at small forward to Orlando's Tracy McGrady.

The nine members of the core group, along with Brown and his staff, have two-year agreements with USAB and are expected to represent the country in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Greece. Brand, Jefferson and Collison would not be assured spots on the Olympic team.

The decision to pursue those three indicates that USA Basketball does not expect Minnesota's Kevin Garnett to accept a standing invitation to join the national team for the forthcoming qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico from Aug. 20-31. That, however, does not rule Garnett out from joining Team USA for the Olympics. The nature of core-group and role-player distinctions enables USA Basketball to make a few changes after the Puerto Rico trip.

Kidd has been lobbying Garnett to reconsider, at least for Athens, after Garnett initially expressed hesitation to make another two-summer commitment to the program. Garnett made that commitment in 1999 and 2000 for the group that eventually won gold in Sydney.

O'Neal and Brand were members of the U.S. team that finished a humbling sixth in last summer's World Championships in Indianapolis. Dallas' Michael Finley was originally seen as the only member of that team to have a shot at being invited back, but the need for size created frontcourt openings. The Lakers' Shaquille O'Neal immediately declined his invitation to play and Sacramento's Chris Webber, still facing a perjury trial this summer, has not been considered by USAB because of his uncertain legal situation.

Bryant, Iverson and Jermaine O'Neal were formally named as members of Team USA on Tuesday. USAB does not announce its player selections until the players have signed contracts with the federation.

Collison, expected to be a lottery pick in the June 26 draft, would be reunited on the national team with his college coach. Roy Williams, the new coach at North Carolina after he and Collison led Kansas to the NCAA title game against Syracuse, is on the Team USA staff as an assistant to Brown.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, send Stein a question for possible use on ESPNEWS

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

your thread title is incorrect. These are not the "core 9." Anyone after Kobi's selection has been told that they could be replaced at the Olympics. And they likely will be replaced.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

for some reason i had the impression that the big man situation was much better than it is. jermaine again? malone, brand, collison, whoop de do. not that they are bad but they don't seem to be built to excel in an international game, much like jermaine, who sucked (from what i saw) at the worlds and can't even post up on the celtics. obviously duncan is great to have. please KG, join the team.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hadn't heard that. Under what circumstances would someone be "replaced"?

5. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Who was voted best player on the last Olympic team again, and was also the guy to beat everyone in their one on one contest, smoking Kevin Garnett 21-7 in the finals? Can anyone remember?

6. francis 4 prez

Vinsanity. but alas he is probably too much of an injury risk to put on the team.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I wish Steve were on the team, but can get over it...I just want blowout victory after blowout victory to avenge last year's embarassment at the world championships.

8. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

he's had......one...1...uno...un....one surgery. And it was pretty minor. Since then he had a set back when he strained a muscle in another leg while trying to overcompensate, which is a very common thing for a player to do, especially when this was the first sports injury they have ever had in their life.

The ankle at the end of the year was the old turing the ankle landing on another guy's foot...Happens 30 or 40 times a year at least...no biggie, and nothing to do with his knee. And if you'd seen Carter in the last few weeks before the ankle, he was starting to explode like no one but he can. People whio keep bringing up the Grant Hill thing haven't looked at the facts; One semi-serious injury, trying to play through it..an offseason surgery...strains other knee trying to favor his repaired knee because he's never done this before..comes back from that and, over time, starts to look more and more like VC going to the hoop, meaning less and less like anyone else, and then sits out the lat 8 games of a meaningless season beacause he sprained his ankle landing on a guy's foot...and they are calling him an injury prone guy. 1 semi-significant injury in his life...1 minor surgery...that's it.

9. francis 4 prez

i knew you'd say that MacBeth, but perception is reality and he is, i believe, fairly or unfairly seen as an injury risk. talk to stu jackson about it if you want that to change. and tell him to stop hating steve while you're there.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

and he's missed over 60 games in the last 2 years ...

you can spin it all you want, but his last 2 seasons have been marred by injuries.

That being said, I would trade SF for him. :)

I have no doubt that he will be back with a vengance.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Yeah, but you're also talking about a guy who was arguably the best player in the game before all that, whatever the negative hype has been since. How can you not invite the guy who was your best player at the last one, and was only 23 at the time, to the next one because of an injury which required minor surgery, cost him less than a full season, and is healing perfectly, according to doctors, and with no reason to suspect it will be an issue come Team USA time? That would be really low class, and insulting, IMO...He was their best player on a team that won the Gold Medal...and, as per Rudy, he blew everyone away in a one on one tournament that everyone took very seriously. Have you forgotten what Rudy, Garnett, etc. were saying about Carter back then, about him being on a whole other level than anyone else in terms of basketball talent? All the hatin hype can't have wiped that from your memory, can it?

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

good on Richard Jefferson, he is playing great and definitely deserves this.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

For all we know, he was asked and turned it down, or maybe still considering it.

Regardless, Vince may have proven to you that he is back, but maybe not to the eyes of the selection committee. It's all nice and good to talk the talk, but some want proof on the court, for more than a little stretch of games.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Why are they putting a college kid on the team? I could understand them doing this back in 1992 to satisfy all those olympic purists that didn't want NBA players in the olympics, but it's the fourth go-around now, I'm sure they've all either accepted it by now or are dead...

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No surprise here with the 3 picks. The team wants "team guys" with good attitudes that can work in a team system. Plus these 3 guys probably will not play that many minutes. The idea is to have a "tight" rotation of 8-9 guys and play them the majority of the minutes each night and then have 3 guys to "groom" for the next team. Brand, Jefferson and Collison fit this role, at least Brand and Jefferson do. I am sure you can make a case to have someone else on the team other than Collison but the bottom line is he is the 12th guy on the team anyway.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I understand that they can be replaced. But likely to be? How do you know that?

17. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I would think there are many more small forwards that would deserve this more than Jefferson. Marion and Pierce are just the first two to come to mind. I think Jefferson gets too much praise (especially on this board since comparing him to EG) for a guy who gets set up with as many easy baskets in the league, thanks to the best passer in the game.

18. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

My first reaction to this is WTF? Richard Jefferson? Nick Collison? This is the best we can do?

If they are gonna run this crap out there, I'd rather see Melo or King James.

Heck, if he's healthy and you are worried about big men, send Zo. He'll make sure we win.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What's even worse about Collinson.

HELLO, he is going to be one year removed from college and a likely backup forward for someone. And he will be on the Olympic team with all-stars. At least Lattener graduated in 1992 and was the best player in college. This is so friggin stupid.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good point on both of those guys. Marion is under-rated if you ask me. Another victim of the ESPN hi-lite syndrome. If you don't taunt and pump your chest after you score...you don't make Sportscenter.