1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice sends recruiting letter to QB's cat

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DFWRocket, May 16, 2014.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Well I guess it worked since the QB committed...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...uiting-letter-to-granato-s-cat-142731906.html

Is this the start of a new recruiting trend?

Houston-area high school quarterback J.T. Granato was a recruiting target of Houston school Rice, and the school sent him a recruiting letter earlier this week. But instead of addressing the letter to Granato himself, the school sent a letter written to Granato's cat. It was from Rice co-offensive coordinator Billy Lynch.

“As you know we’re trying to convince J.T. Rice is the place for him. I know you’d like to keep him close so he can feed you and change the litter box. Please help us to get him to choose us. Paw me if you have any questions.”

It could have been the letter that sealed the deal. Granato, a three-star pro-style quarterback according to Rivals, committed to Rice on Thursday. Per Rivals, Baylor, Florida, Houston, Michigan State, Mississippi and Purdue also had interest in Granato, but only Houston had offered him a scholarship as well.
    The current "hot" recruiting technique has been to send recruits Photoshopped or drawn images of themselves in a school's colors. But this is certainly a creative step forward.

If we assumed for a moment that pets were able to read and were aware of the recruiting process, this could be a golden technique for schools recruiting local recruits like Rice and Granato. As Rice likely correctly assumed, no pet wants to see his or her owner(s) be far away for four years.

And since pets can't read and it's the recruits and families reading the letters instead, the human guilt can be just as strong. Who wants to feel bad about leaving their pet? Rice may be on to something here, or is simply downright crazy. Maybe it's both.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

lol if it works

3. The Drake

The Drake Member

Yeah, thank goodness it worked, otherwise this would be embarrassing.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like some cutesy pee-pee game his dad probably okayed or even setup. TAMU has a helicopter, UT has a network, Rice has stuffed animals.

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Hahaha, he is in my grade, hilarious how big this has gotten

1 person likes this.
  6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

nice win by Rice over UH for this kid

said he really valued a high quality education

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rice recruits another p***y. How is this news?

8. The Drake

The Drake Member

Typical UH reading comprehension. We used p***y to recruit a football player.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol superb

and another lol @ his failed attempt at humor

nice roast brah

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

is that John's son?

brilliantly played by rice too

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/JTGranato10">@JTGranato10</a> committed to Rice today. Rice closed the deal by sending JT's cat a recruiting letter. Well done Owls <a href="http://t.co/NBCqPX7PIG">pic.twitter.com/NBCqPX7PIG</a></p>&mdash; John Granato (@johngranato) <a href="https://twitter.com/johngranato/statuses/467118009275146241">May 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like it is his son

http://www.ysr1560.com/john-granato/

Upon reading, I noticed John went to school in my home town, Know College. Small world.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

He better study hard. If Rice is his football destination, pretty good chance that he's going to suck.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think it's a great recruiting move. If you're Rice, you have to throw a wrinkle in there that others schools won't. Even though it's hokey, this was definitely different.

15. Buck Turgidson

Well, not everyone can have real animals to practice their "husbandry" on.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How much cash did good ole David send J.T.?

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not true. Rice has had three QBs get signifcant play in the NFL. More than UT.

Of course, one (Bert Emmanual) was drafted by SF as a wide receiver, because he was the fastest player in the NCAAs that year.

He was the guy who beat UT on ESPN....running the wishbone and calling a quarterback sneak to his Center as an option. He touches his center to block forward while the rest of the line and defense doesn't know. He ran 45 yards through the heart of the UT defense untouched.

FTW

#17 heypartner, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  18. Refman

Digging a little deep into the memory bank for that one. Anything within the last 20 years?

19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I've got no horse in the race (go Coogs) but if I was graduating high school with UT and Rice coming at me - and I was a traditional college talent (not a huge NFL prospect) I'd be hard pressed not to take Rice and get the better education.

20. Refman

Just remember that JJ Watt wasn't a huge NFL prospect coming out of high school. Neither was Russell Wilson. Both of those were two star recruits. Playing at a major college with the visibility that comes with it and making the most of that opportunity can make a big difference.