1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ric Bucher: What's Next

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstone, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Houstone

Houstone Member

What's Next?
    by Ric Bucher
    ESPN The Magazine

Houston is hoping to build the Ming Dynasty.
    YAO NOW

But where, when and how?

If the Rockets weren't committed to him as the No.1 pick, Rudy Tomjanovich wouldn't have made the 15-hour flight to China to get Yao's national-team commitment in writing. Don't worry that the Mavs' Wang ZhiZhi going AWOL will screw up the works -- the situations are different. The Chinese simply want to know Houston will be Yao's new home.

But don't start digging up those Clutch City signs just yet, even if Rashard Lewis gets to join his hometown team, sign-and-trade style, too. Yao will be the league's tallest curiosity, but it will take him several more years before he lives up to his top-pick billing. Keep in mind the learning curve for 1998 No.1 pick Michael Olowokandi, once thought a bust but now a year away from being the league's second-best center.

Lewis and Yao, combined with a migraine-free Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Eddie Griffin, could mean three Texas teams in the playoffs. That's rare as a 7'5'' Chinese dude who can ball.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no13nbanext.html

#1 Houstone, Jun 14, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2002
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i agree with what he wrote about yao's learning curve. hopefully he'll adapt within 2 years. lewis....i'm not too fond of giving him the max in a sign and trade but i do agree that with a lineup of EG, cat, steve, and yao + SF we would be pretty good:D

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I keep seeing articles referring to Wang going AWOL, but the Chinese posters on this board claim that the Chinese papers reported that Wang was never missing, he just wasn't in contact with the Mavs. I have not seen this reported anywhere else in US papers. Do we know it to be true? If so, what is the deal with so many US reporters not hearing about this and continuing to act as if Wang's situation has ANY bearing on Ming's?

4. redao

redao Member

It is very simple and clear that Wang will never want to hide from his country. He can get everything from China now. If he is not kiddnapped, he will be a Chinese citizen in his lifetime.

A Hint: When you read some news on CHina written in English, if it contains some intended or imposed political judgement or emotion, it must be a rumor trash. Don't cite trash. Don't bother with rumor.

Who is coaching chinese basketball national team now? He seems to be a communist guy that Wang and Yao don't like.

5. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

His name is Wang Fei. He was the head coach of Bayi (Red Army)Rockets and stayed at Dallas with Wang for a half year to "study NBA coaching experience".

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm starting to think more and more that Rashard might actually be a possibility. It seems like I keep on reading little tidbits like this:

<i>
    (From ESPN)
    3. Rashard Lewis, F, Seattle (P)
    The hope of the entire city of Seattle used to rest on this guy re-signing. But after another so-so year, the Sonics aren't so sure anymore that Lewis is their franchise player. They want him back, but at what price? Lewis has been pushing to land with the Rockets. To get to Houston, he'd have to sign for its mid-level exception. The Sonics can offer him a lot more, but they might be better off working out a sign-and-trade.</i>

I have a question. Can the Rockets talk to the Sonics on draft night and ask them which player they want us to draft at 15, which can then be used as part of a trade for Rashard whenever the free agency signing period begins. Or do the Rockets have to commit to the player they draft at 15 before the free agency signing period begins. Because I think I read something stating that once a Rookie is signed, you cannot trade him until after a certain amount of time. I'm just trying to figure out if there's any way the Rockets can somehow use the 15th pick as part of a package for Rashard.

In my opinion, I think Rashard will not be asking for the maximum if its a sign-and-trade to the Rockets. He's not going to completely sabotage his chance to come home like that. I think he genuinely wants to be closer to his family and friends. Now, signing for the mid-level exception is probably a bit of a stretch, but it's still a possibility. His agent won't like it, but who cares. But more realistically, I see this scenario:
    <b>Sonics:</b> no, we won't give you the max, but we'll give you this .
    <b>Rashard:</b> screw you, I'll sign somewhere else...maybe I'll even take the MLE from the Rockets
    <b>Sonics:</b> oh no you don't, if you're going to leave, we're going to get something in return. How about Toronto? For Keon Clark and Jerome Williams?
    <b>Rashard:</b> Screw you again. I want to be closer to home, not as far away from it as possible.
    <b>Sonics:</b> *defeated* Okay, how about to Houston for some combination of Maurice, Kenny, Moochie, Cato, Rookie (15th pick)
    <b>Rashard:</b> *smiles from ear to ear*

And there you have it, that's my prediction...or is that my wishful thinking? :D

I think Lewis would be a great fit for our team and would fill a huge void: Outside shooting. He's one of the deadliest outside shooters in the league, and the Rockets SUCKed from the outside this season! Yes, he is not a defensive stopper, but I disagree with some of you who act like he is a defensive liability. There's a difference. He's long and a great athlete. He probably won't help a whole lot on defense, but he won't hurt that much either. Besides, I think the Rockets defense will improve as Ming and Griffin get more playing time. They could eventually be #1 and #2 in blocked shots per game.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ming and lewis is what im expecting.

i think we will become one of the better defecive teams in the league with those two guys. not to menstion that adding them will add an extra 8 inches to our starting line-up.

ming and griff will average a combined 5 blocks per game.

ming and griff and lewis will all average 7 rebs a game...steve too. that gives us 28 rebs from 4 players.

on offence our scoring droughts will dissapear. we will not have to rely on only cat and steve, then hope that kt or rice can hit some shots to help out. we will have a 3rd option who is a very good 3pt shooter in lewis. then if nothing is working we give it into ming for an unstoppable turn-around jumper.

or we can give it to ming on the high post and open up the lanes for our guards.

there is no stopping us with this roster next year...maybe maturity and experience.

8. DCkid

Yeah, and Kandi came in to the league with absolutely no touch or moves whatsoever. Ming on the other hand can shoot three's. That guys comparison doesn't work at all. And the fact that Olowokandi might be the second best center in the NBA doesn't say anything except how bad the position is. In fact, if Shaq was to miss a season, Kandi might actually be the best center in the league...AND HE'D STILL SUCK!

...not a big Olowokandi fan

9. DCkid

Talk about opening the lanes. If we had Griffin, Ming, Lewis, Mobley, and Francis we could spread the floor better than any team in the entire league. That's five guys that can and will shoot the three.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think brad miller is the second best center. and we almost had him.

we will have the second best center next year with ming, and the second best pg with francis.

11. DJ

DJ Member

Does any one see irony here?

12. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Huh? 11 points, 9 rebs, less than 2 blocks, at a 43% clip?

13. MManal

MManal Member

Ive never understood really how all these rumors keep persisting as to Rashard Lewis signing in Houston. I dont really view this as something realistic. In the recent Chronicle article that I believe was posted on this bbs with Lewis's agent talking about Rashard having a greater chance of signing here with Ming being drafted, he was quoted as saying that Rashard would not be interested in the middle class exception. Ive felt all along that this is all about trying to get the max or something close to it out of Seattle.

If Rashard Lewis really and truly had coming home as his #1 goal, he would have just signed a 1 yr 1 mil contract with whichever team 2 yrs ago and let Seattle match. Last summer then, he would have become an unrestricted free agent at a time when the Rockets had major cap room. Instead, Lewis went with a 2 yr deal with an option for yr 3 on the middle class salary making him still under contract last summer. This really tells me that Rashard Lewis is looking at financial security, stablity, etc before his desire to come home.

Seattle would be open to a sign and trade imo but not for the likes of Mo Taylor, Kelvin Cato or Glen Rice. The only player I could see them possibly wanting on our roster that would even remotely make sense in this deal is Cuttino Mobley. However, I seriously doubt the Rockets go this direction. Seattle has a very talented SF in Vladimir Radmanovic who could take Lewis's place, but I still dont see any motive for them to take a bunch of bad salaries and hamstring themselves on the cap. I would be stunned if the lineup Ric Bucher suggested is what the Rockets will have next season.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

windandsea, was Wang Fei a welcome presence at Dallas? Or was he there to keep an eye on Wang, and a general irritant to all (Wang and Dallas) involved. Thanks for your insights. I think DJ may have been thinking along those lines. (sorry DJ, if you had something else in mind :))

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What happen's with our Depth?
    Our Bench?

Rocket River

16. DCkid

I just meant some combination of those guys, meaning pick any two...at the very most three. I probably wouldn't even do it if it was three. You can also add Rice to that list too.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe someone could correct me on this one, but if Rashard really wanted to play in houston and seeing the Rockets situation with money and all can this happen?

Houston trades Thomas,Collier,the 15th,and the mce =6mill for Lewis sign and trade at about 7yrs 7mill per. Is that possible or not.I'm thinking i think you can trade the mce along with 2 million in salaries would give you roughly 6mill. Since salaries have to be within 15% thats roughly 7 mill for 7 yrs plus they seattle get the 15th pick. All this can be without fail if Woods start to tumble in the draft or if Wash really likes Dickau.

18. DCkid

Yeah, but like you said, it was his agent talking. Maurice Taylor's agent was also so sure Mo was worth the max two seasons ago, and he ended up signing for the exception. I think everyone agrees that a sign-and-trade would be more likely, but the MCE is still a possibility despite whatever his money-hungry agent says. With a sign and trade, I think the Rockets could afford to give Lewis anywhere from 6-9 million if they can get rid of at leason one big, bad contract (Mo, Cato, Rice). I really don't see him passing that up if he really wants to be close to home, which I think he does.

19. Major

Major Member

Sonics: no, we won't give you the max, but we'll give you this .
    Rashard: screw you, I'll sign somewhere else...maybe I'll even take the MLE from the Rockets
    Sonics: oh no you don't, if you're going to leave, we're going to get something in return. How about Toronto? For Keon Clark and Jerome Williams?
    Rashard: Screw you again. I want to be closer to home, not as far away from it as possible.
    Sonics: *defeated* Okay, how about to Houston for some combination of Maurice, Kenny, Moochie, Cato, Rookie (15th pick)
    Rashard: *smiles from ear to ear*

I think the conversation goes more like this:

Sonics: no, we won't give you the max, but we'll give you this .

Rashard: screw you, I'll sign somewhere else...maybe I'll even take the MLE from the Rockets

Sonics: OK, do it. Give up the $30 or $40 million in guaranteed money.

Rashard: Err, maybe not. Let's talk. I want my millions.

20. MManal

MManal Member

Leeb, I dont think you can trade a mid class exception. It has to be salaried players which means Seattle will have to eat a large salary ie Rice, Cato or Taylor which i dont see them doing.

DC, if Lewis put coming to Houston ahead of money, then why did he take the 2 yr with option for yr 3 extension instead of signing a 1 yr deal? 2 yrs ago, Lewis could have easily signed a 1 yr contract and become an unrestricted FA last summer. This is why I dont buy this whole thing about coming home.