1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!
  1. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Rodrick Rhodes just signed with the Mavs.

The thing is-- I remember 2 seasons ago, when we were very very high on this kid, and we wouldn't let him go in the deal breaker for Stoudamire. Well, now we have Francis, who's level's about stoudamire. I'm glad we didn't let Rodrick go in that trade. Why has Rhodes been lost in the NBA hustle..and why wouldn't he suit Rudy at the 3 spot any longer? to tell you the truth, i'm happy with Walt's ability to shoot, and shandon's ability to slash. Cuttino, and Steve have the ability to do both.

But, can anyone explain what Rudy saw in Rhodes, and what happened to force him to let him go? I remember when he picked MJ's pocket.

-elie17

------------------

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rhodes pressured Rudy into playing him more. This lead to Rhodes becoming a large pain in Rudy's *ss, so Rudy shipped him out, which I believe was what Rhodes wanted. I believe Rhodes had a similar run in with Rick Pitino at Kentucky.

As far as Rhodes' game, he was a great defensive and open court player. He was pretty useless in the half court set, since he did not have a shot.

If he just kept his mouth shut, Rhodes would still be here today. Rudy would use him to put the hammer on the opposing team's hot scoring 1/2/3.

------------------

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Isn't there a clear, consistent pattern here? Maxwell, Elie, Rhodes, Pippen, Hamilton. The way you get shipped out of Houston isn't by sucking on the court, but by acting like a jerk, pissing off your teammates, and giving Rudy a headache. You can have no shot, no defense, and no speed, and Rudy will stay loyal to you. But for bad character, he's got zero tolerance. If Pippen had kept his mouth shut and turned in 10 points and 5 assists a game, I bet he'd still be here.

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Will- bingo.

------------------

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chemistry is SO important, and you do not win championships without it.

DaDakota

------------------

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

elie-17, i dont have their numbers in front of me, but i would be willing to bet alot of money that every gm in the nba would take francis over damon in a heartbeat. damon had a great rookie year, but he was also a one man show in toronto.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

7. dream_team

dream_team Member

i LOVED rhodes' game. he was the best defensive guard i've seen in a while... he did shut Jordan down, except Jordan would get ghost calls from the refs once in a while.

i hated to see him go, but i believe it is true that he had some conflicts with Rudy, which led to his departure...

another reason i love Rudy!

------------------

8. Houston Rocks

Houston Rocks Member

Dream Team - Rhodes Shut Jordon Down?

I'm no big Jordon fan or anything , but I watched every game that Rhodes played in with the Rockets, and saw him get a good steal on Jordon at half-court once. He defended Jordon OK at best, but RR shutting him down is purely fiction.
    ........not that there's anything wrong with that. [​IMG]

Rocks

------------------

9. Elie#17

Gr8-1,

I meant to say, "above" as in Level's ABOVE stoudamire.. =D

yeah..i'd take francis anyday as well.. ALL DAY..ANYDAY.

-Elie17

------------------

10. Elie#17

ohh..and also

comparing francis to stoudamire's rookie year..who's better?

------------------

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

No doubt about it elie-17, damon had a better rookie year, though i think there stats were close. I just think francis has alot more upside. I never thought damon was a franchise player, not on his best day./

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought it was twice in a game that he robbed Jordan. Not that he shut him down, but that he took advantage of him twice. I'm sure it is not unique for Jordan to have the ball stolen from him twice, but to have a rookie who was not even expected to get drafted in the first round do it to him, that was what was memorable.

------------------