1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

RGV Vipers - D League Final - Elimination game today 11am

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by BaMcMing, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Hey if any of you guys are interested, the RGV Vipers are playing the 2nd game of a 3 game series in the D League Finals today.

They beat the Tulsa 66ers on the road in game one with Mike Harris leading the way with 24 points in just 21 minutes. Will Conroy added a triple double with 14 points, 16 rebounds, and 11 assists.

The game will be broadcast on VERSUS, at 11:59pm eastern time tonight. (The game will be played at 830p and aired later)

The success of our Houston Rockets D League affiliate has me wondering how many teams will copy what we accomplished this season down in the Valley. It would stand to reason that if more NBA teams ran the basketball operations of their D League affiliates, it would improve the D League product on the floor. Not only would players be more ready when they are called up to the NBA, but the D League games would be much less like pickup games and more team oriented.

2. BaMcMing

Whoops - Thread title fail - 11pm!

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I think the effect of running the basketball operations is overstated. Some NBA teams own their affiliates and thus run the basketball operations. Of the four NBA teams that have their affiliates, the results are mixed.

HOU: RGV finished with the 2nd best overall record, 1st in the West
    SA: Austin finished tied for the 3rd best overall record, 2nd in the West
    OKC: Tulsa finished 4 games over .500 and was pretty much middle of the pack.
    LA: The D-fenders finished 2nd to last in the league, last in the West.

Running basketball operations is important, but there also needs to be the concurrent front office dedication to player development. The Houston and San Antonio FOs are big on that, LA isn't.

RGV is a model for what the potential of a D-league can be but I question if teams with poor front office's would be able to do much with their own affiliate.

All that's sorta besides the point anyway. There aren't enough D-league teams for more to become solo affiliates. Dallas will get one next year but there's no more scheduled expansion after that.

5. ejrodriguez

ejrodriguez Member

I'll be at the game tonight....anyone else gonna be there?

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

very cool.. I was going to have to look up the game time later - you saved me the trouble!

If anyone wants to chat online during the game I will be watching live on nba.com as suggested above and try to be in the chat room during.

7. redao

redao Member

Rockets have strong interest in joining D league next season.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

ROFL.

9. BaMcMing

This years team would DOMINATE

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I think the real key to the Vipers' success is Les Alexander and his willingness to spend on things like scouting and research on players.

For instance, the Rockets are now generally regarded as one of the most "generous" team with regard to bringing in players for pre-draft workouts. They recently had a bunch of players in. By "casting a wide net" and doing their homework on (and just as importantly, bringing in) so many players, the Rockets develop relationships with players and their agents that may prove useful when filling out D-League rosters. Because the Rocket at least express SOME interest in so many young players, more of these players might be willing to go play in the Rio Grande Valley over other, "more desirable" locations (no offense) like L.A. or Austin, since they perceive that the promise of getting to the NBA as the Rockets' 14th or 15th man might be greater than with most other teams. Plus, they still have just as good a chance to get called up by other teams while playing in the RGV.

Thanks to Les and his willingness to spend in these areas, the future should only be brighter for the overall success of the Vipers organization and its AAA-like relationship with Houston.

11. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

The Astros have the worst farm system in baseball :( , but the Rockets have the best farm system in basketball. :grin:

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Why would they delay the game so late? Does the league really think the D-League will steal millions of viewers from the NBA Playoffs?

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This sucks! Why can't we watch this live!?!

I guess they are afraid the playoffs will suffer from the D-League final :grin:

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I apparently don't get to watch it at all... my directv doesn't get versus :(

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

They are scared of losing the Chinese :grin: .

16. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Vipers win!!!!!!!!!!!! Champions baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never something something something of a champion!!!

ON a serious note, putting Harris back on the roster was a genius movie. I've seen the score on the bottom of Nba TV. Forgot the score but they win by 3. will def. watch it tonight.

17. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Well, thanks for the spoiler.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Morey keeps tweeting photos, congrats Vipers!

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

[​IMG]
    ;;;;;;;;

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

what kind of team name is the D-fenders?