1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting Harden's Game 6 Debacle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Oct 17, 2017.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

About 4 months ago, we all watched in horror as the NBA's true MVP for the last 2 years totally shat the bed on national TV. The Spurs were beatable, and at worst we should have been able to use our home court to force a game 7. Instead, we got a total, inexplicable meltdown. A T-Mac/"Toronto Game" level meltdown. Harden was passive and seemingly had withdrawn into his own little world. We want a frustrated leader to get pissed off, or to dig deep and find a reserve tank, but instead we got... nothing. Just a dazed, vacant look as he sat on the bench near the end of the game.

Simply put: We wanted our superstar and team leader to act like one, and Harden didn't.

He was so godawful that people immediately provided him with excuses: He had a concussion, he was pissed off at the coaching staff for making him guard bigs like Aldridge, he was exhausted from playing his ass off all year long, he had to do it all himself. And of course, he'd been surrounded by strippers the previous night ("My cousin's friend knows a guy whose girlfriend's brother SAW Harden at ClubBooty at 5 a.m.!").

As they say: It was what it was.

At the moment he was supposed to shine his brightest, Harden pretty much failed to show up at all.

But here's what didn't happen:
    • Harden made no excuses at all for his play.
    • He didn't say he was worn down or sick or frustrated.
    • He avoided any drama queen "Everything is my fault. It's T-Mac's fault." meltdowns.
    • He didn't throw any teammates under the bus.
    • He didn't throw any coaches under the bus.
    • He didn't question the system or ask why the GM hadn't gotten him more help.
    Harden did none of those things. Instead, he did these:
    • Took a few weeks to hibernate and reflect on the season, then started planning for the 2017-2018 season.
    • Committed more to his fitness and lost 12 lbs to be even more mobile and more durable. (thx, @FANfrom86toNow)
    • Got back on the court as much as he could and started working on elevating his game even higher.
    • Became a driving force in recruiting CP3 to come to H-Town (and damn near getting Melo to join him).
    • Welcomed with open arms an obnoxious, in-your-face superstar to help him lead the team better.
    • Spent all of July and August joined at the hip with CP3, working on chemistry both on-court and off.
    • Organized a summer player-run training camp for the new roster.
    • Remained optimistic and driven to find a way to atone for Game 6.
    Basically, the only thing Harden could have done better since that game would have been to be open and honest about why he played so poorly. He never did that, but every move he's made since then has been pitch-perfect, exactly what you want to see from your team's leader, and because of that, I'm more optimistic going into the season than I was at this point last year.

At least, that's how it looks from my point of view. Does anyone see it differently?

#1 topfive, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The Spurs defense was better without Kawhi on the floor last season. Them playing without him wasn barely to their detriment.
    Things the Spurs were better at with Kawhi off the floor last year:
    • eFG%
    • Offensive rebounding
    • Defensive rebounding
    • Assists
    • Fewer turnovers
    • Faster pace
    Even their ORtg differential was only +1.5 net between him on the court and off.

Kawhi not playing was to their advantage in this situation considering we didn't have Nene and we were playing Anderson at center.

#2 DonKnock, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Richie_Rich and alethios like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It was inexcusable. But I'm not going to stop rooting for him and supporting him because of one game. Hopefully he learns from it and gets better.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I've noticed that most of the media seems to have run with the idea that Harden was exhausted and worn out come game 6

Steve Kerr even said this the other day

"“They’re going to be awesome. They’re going to be really hard to guard,” Kerr said. “It gives James a chance to get off the ball and maybe take off some of the workload. I think it was easy to see he was tired in the playoffs last year.""

The Rockets should get the 2nd seed, homecourt advantage in the 1st 2 rounds, and give GS a good series in the WCF. Anything more than that is gravy. Harden needs to be consistent in the playoffs and avoid any extreme lows. With CP3 here now to take some of the pressure off of him, I think he can do that.

DonKnock, topfive and BigMaloe like this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

why do you math nerds do this to yourselves?

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

WTF are you talking about?

This was talked about all season by people using the caveman eye test too.

When Kawhi is on the floor you just stick whoever he is guarding in the corner and his effect is neutralized. This is why he didn't win DPOY last year.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Positivity thread.

3 pages max.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly.

If the thread title were "Harden Game 6: Never forgive, never forget!", it would go on until next February. And then one of the mods might lock it up.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Thanks for the reverse jinx. We'll see how it goes. I'm thinking maybe 4-5 pages.

Invisible Fan and BigMaloe like this.
  10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We shall spam this thread till it is on the Carmelo thread's level!:)

Reeko, BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thank you for reminding me of that abomination of a performance last year. Mad all over again. I see you have your Rockets-red lenses on today, but no amount of sacrificing his summer, working over time, recruiting other players, organizing scrimmages, or anything else can atone for Harden's Game 6. He can't take it back and he can't make it better. The only thing he can do is go win a championship. I don't want any feel-good threads about that abortion of a game. There is nothing to feel good about.

Go Rockets!

subtomic and cheke64 like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So, let the action speaks for itself? Taking a neutral stand (well slightly pessimistic given history) and until I see that there are no more meltdown, or close to meltdown in the regular reason and in at least one full season playoff run ... he still who he is.

cheke64 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don't wish to revisit, rewatch, relive, reanything as it relates to that game.

[​IMG][​IMG]

cheke64 and heypartner like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

15. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Another good thing that you can add to what else Harden did to get ready to this season:

* He committed more to his fitness and lost 12lbs (I think) so that he can be even more mobile

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's my entire point. That game can't be un-watched. All of us were devastated that OUR team's leader blew a tire in front of the whole world.

The only thing Harden can do to totally atone for that sin is to hoist a Larry O'Brien trophy in the Toyota Center. But at least he seems to be doing the right things to try to make that happen.

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

OP has great points & good intentions, but in a few minutes this thread will go to ****, I just don’t understand why we have to keep revisiting this.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Admire you or putting this down, makes me feel a bit better though I just wish he'd shown in the pre-season his commitment. He didn't seem to take it that serious so let's see starting tonight if it's all talk or if he's ready to walk.

topfive likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He worked his ass off last year too. That didn't stop Game 6.

But it's fine. I suppose hope springs eternal. If it helps you to enjoy the season without thinking about the looming threat that an epic meltdown will defeat a whole season's worth of effort at the end, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, then more power to you.

Damn, I keep trying to say something positive and it's not working! :(

topfive likes this.
  20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Why would you bring up such painful memories on this, the day of my team's opening game? Not cool, bro. Not cool.